Should goalies have to pay to play on a Beer League team?

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
i wish to know where these free for the goalie teams are

I remember this same discussion on a goalie board years ago when I was starting out in net. There was a large, very persistent group in that thread claiming that not only do goalies play in leagues for free, but that if you don't actually get paid to play when you spare for another team you're doing a disservice to every other goalie on the planet. And are a *insert insult of choice*. It was an interesting discussion on local cultures, to say the least.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Again if you're subbing in for someone or being a last minute replacement somewhere or going to shinny...then it's obviously free.

If you are part of a "team" then pay all or some of your share and be a real man first...then a teamate. Guess goalies should never be on beer either? Or is that another thread....

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Again if you're subbing in for someone or being a last minute replacement somewhere or going to shinny...then it's obviously free.

If you are part of a "team" then pay all or some of your share and be a real man first...then a teamate. Guess goalies should never be on beer either? Or is that another thread....

I've got no problems paying my share for the team if the team's buying the pitchers :laugh:

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
I don't remember the last time I've paid to play. As the goalie, they NEED you or there is no game, you don't just get to pick and choose when you want to show up. I actually get paid to play quite often from guys needing a Goalie, most of the times we don't want 2 get pucks fired at our foreheads by a group of strangers at 11pm.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
And on that note goalies should treat the games like skaters do and show up just to the games they want without notice, step on the ice 5 minutes late when they please and regularly play Saturday morning games hung over right?

No, if they can't make the game they let the team know in advance (like all players do to the captain) and they get a replacement.

Any REAL mens league has a list of phone numbers for captains to call in case a goalie can't make a game and 95% one of the other goalies in the league will happily play and help out that team for the game(obviously for free).

I'm still LAUGHING in my seat that you guys pay for the goalie, a GROWN MAN :laugh:

Oh and if i goalie wants to just not show up without notice, no big deal, they get rid of him and a notice goes out within the league not to let that guy play on their teams.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't remember the last time I've paid to play. As the goalie, they NEED you or there is no game, you don't just get to pick and choose when you want to show up. I actually get paid to play quite often from guys needing a Goalie, most of the times we don't want 2 get pucks fired at our foreheads by a group of strangers at 11pm.

Oh stop it. We call one of the other 50 goalies. You aren't special.

Disgrace that you aren't giving your money up like everyone else on your team, wouldn't want you anywhere near my team.

ThatGuyThere

Dec 1, 2016
1. Supply and Demand AND what level of play - a lot less A and B goalies than E
2. Quality of goalie based on previous season stats
3. Reliability
4. Number of guys on bench and do you charge subs? (Sub $ makes up goalie portion) 10 guys on bench is a lot more $/player than 15

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
We call one of the other 50 goalies.

And there it is - it comes back to supply and demand.

You clearly have more supply. Others clearly have less (based on the existence of this thread).

Everyone's in a different situation. I'm naïve, but I guess I'd assume that we could all still get along.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I play in a REAL men's league (the largest adult league in the US in fact) and it is often difficult to find sub goalies. I have never had to pay to get a goalie, but I've also been turned down by 5-7 goalies before finding one who would play.

After being a captain for 5 years, I do not charge goalies - full time or sub.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
For my league this year I ended up paying $50 for the league, normally I never pay, mainly because I am never asked. I had no problems with it. I moved to a new location and don't know anyone really, so I didn't find it to be a big deal.

If someone asked me to sub and pay? I would probably just politely decline and not play. I have been kicked off a team before because they found a better goalie, which kinda rubbed me the wrong way since I joined with 3 other friends so we could play together (And it also really didn't matter since we were a bad team overall). I didn't pay for that league though so I didn't complain about it. If I did pay, I definitely would have disputed being kicked off.

There is no black and white, only grey area IMO.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Any league I've played the goalie pays his own way, but for pickup games if we have to rent ice he's free. I wouldn't honestly mind splitting the goalie's share amongst the skaters in league either though. Their equipment is just so much more expensive and their position so much more taxing that chipping in $20 doesn't seem like a big deal.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
This is key, and should be obvious from the thread.

Anyone who thinks that there's only one answer to this (and bonus! their answer!) is fooling themselves.

Exactly. We've got the guy from NY a few posts up who thinks it unheard of for a goalie to get a free ride and any goalie that gets a free ride isn't a real man. Then you've got me, a guy from Chicago who's played in most of the top leagues in town and I think its unthinkable to ask for even one dime from the goalie.

Guy in NY insists he can get 50 goalies to sub on a moment's notice. Here in Chicago we must have a goalie drought cause I usually have to try 4-8 people before I find 1 willing to show up for a 10:45 game on a Tuesday.

Like you said, its all supply and demand. Although personally, I still wouldn't charge for a goalie even if I could replace him on moments notice. Like I said earlier in the thread, my personal belief is that goalies shouldn't pay under any scenario.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
And it changes over time, too - when I started playing in Colorado, there were very few goalies playing, and it was easy to get whatever I needed (being in grad school, free play was important to me :laugh: ).

Now there are *lots* of goalies here, and I'm paying more and more often. Not a big deal, just the way it is. I blame Patrick Roy for coming and making goaltending seem cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad