Proposal: Should Drew be our Captain?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Whilst I would never have taken the Captaincy from Brown, once that was done I’m not sure who you’d then give it to other than Kopi. We have zero idea about what he is like in the room but I have to think he does a decent job on that side of things. He’s also a great pro and good example type of guy that works hard regardless of form. I guess what I’m saying is that he certainly has some leadership qualities and the stuff we don’t see in the room is by far the most important bit of the job. He gets a bit too much criticism of the job he does.

The worst part of him being Captain is the way it was stripped off Brown which, if I’m being generous, was a disgrace and forever changed how I felt about DL and Sutter, especially with all the preaching about loyalty. However, it’s not Kopi’s fault they did that.

As for Drew this is the first time I’ve felt he has shown Captain potential. There is a bit of recentcy bias in anyone saying he should be Captain as it not even one whole season of him showing he might be up to the job. I certainly wouldn’t force a change of Captain on that basis but if the job became available because Kopitar stepped aside he becomes the obvious candidate and I do feel, if anything, it would make him elevate his game further.

However, Kopitar should be and will be Captain until he no longer wants the job or is no longer a King. Leaders will still be leaders even if it’s without a letter on the chest, especially in this day and age so it’s not something we need to worry too much about. It won’t hold us back.

Reactions: Bandit and Telos

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Lias for captain. I want to see him toss the Campbell bowl over the glass.

Jokes aside, I'm in the crew of those who feel Brown is our real captain, no offense to Kopi.

Reactions: Telos

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If the Kings want to bold they can name Doughty captain, give Kopi the A, and bring in an impact vet to revive the room

Reactions: Legionnaire
Jun 30, 2006
I don’t know about giving Kopi the A and bringing in his replacements (Eichel/Byfield) in an off-season.

Doughty as C, Eichel A, Iafallo A.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Drew was named captain, the same people who are complaining about the captaincy now, will be complaining about the captaincy a year from now with Drew wearing the C.

Just like they were complaining about Brown when he was captain.

Really the captaincy doesn't matter a whole lot. It's just something for the fans and media to hype up.

Teams win because they have better players and coaches. Put Mark Messier on the Sabres and they still suck ass.

Reactions: 21Dog and redcard

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Great quotes from Drew, and he's absolutely right about the need to bring in players NOW. Like he said, what is the point of keeping him, Kopitar, etc. if you are just in constant rebuild mode. I'm fine with rebuilding, but if the plan isn't to make the playoffs, then trade these guys off...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If Drew becomes captain and leads by example, all the young guys will be saying crazy shit. Imagine Bjornfot in his next interview. "Yeah, Maatta. Crazy good defensman, I love playing with Maats. He's almost as good as me on defense, in all honesty."

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
So Blake... after Drews' comments the ball is in your court.

Reactions: tomd

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So Blake... after Drews' comments the ball is in your court.
If he makes a move because Drew said so then Blake really should be fired. The plan needs to be followed and definitely not changed because a player, any player, says it should. That’s part of the problem in Buffalo, making changes to keep Eichel happy (one of the reasons I didn’t want him even before the injury - some Sabres fans joke he’s Captain, Coach, GM and now team Dr). If they want to change the plan because they decide it needs changing then fine, but just to keep a player or players happy is really dumb.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If he makes a move because Drew said so then Blake really should be fired. The plan needs to be followed and definitely not changed because a player, any player, says it should. That’s part of the problem in Buffalo, making changes to keep Eichel happy (one of the reasons I didn’t want him even before the injury - some Sabres fans joke he’s Captain, Coach, GM and now team Dr). If they want to change the plan because they decide it needs changing then fine, but just to keep a player or players happy is really dumb.

Drew: "MAKE CHANGES!"
Q: "So you want a new partner?"
Drew: "No."
Q: "New defense corps?"
Q: "So what changes?"
Drew: "Ask Blakey."

No wonder the people in this thread have a boner for Drew to be captain. He shares the same insight they do. "Make changes, but I don't know what changes. Clearly MY department on defense is good, although we just got turfed 11-1 the past 2 games"

Are we sure he doesn't post on HF?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If the Kings want to bold they can name Doughty captain, give Kopi the A, and bring in an impact vet to revive the room
Maybe we can clone Kirk Gibson, and teach the clone to play hockey. It would take that kind of epic kick in the ass from a vet to get this bunch moving.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Great quotes from Drew, and he's absolutely right about the need to bring in players NOW. Like he said, what is the point of keeping him, Kopitar, etc. if you are just in constant rebuild mode. I'm fine with rebuilding, but if the plan isn't to make the playoffs, then trade these guys off...
I think Doughty is going to be disappointed. He can think himself, Kopi, Brownie, and Quickie had great years, but the truth is outside of him, none of them are going to win jack during their remaining time on the Kings roster.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Drew: "MAKE CHANGES!"
Q: "So you want a new partner?"
Q: "New defense corps?"
Q: "So what changes?"
Drew: "Ask Blakey."

No wonder the people in this thread have a boner for Drew to be captain. He shares the same insight they do. "Make changes, but I don't know what changes. Clearly MY department on defense is good, although we just got turfed 11-1 the past 2 games"

Are we sure he doesn't post on HF?

It can't be the fact that the Kings can't score goals which might be... The primary responsibility... Of the offensive lines. If he said the Kings needed players but not on offense, defense, or goaltending. Then yeah I'd agree with you. Don't be so sly.

Reactions: Faterson and tomd

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It can't be the fact that the Kings can't score goals which might be... The primary responsibility... Of the offensive lines. If he said the Kings needed players but not on offense, defense, or goaltending. Then yeah I'd agree with you. Don't be so sly.

Offense comes from the blueline. Breakouts, power play, forecheck, etc.

He's clearly blaming the forwards. But doesn't own where the blueline contributes to the failures.

Reactions: KINGS17

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Offense comes from the blueline. Breakouts, power play, forecheck, etc.

He's clearly blaming the forwards. But doesn't own where the blueline contributes to the failures.

Yeah I just thought your statement was pretty coy that's why I pointed it out. Offense does start from defense, but Brown being our top goal scorer clearly paints a picture as well

Reactions: Albi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad