Should Crosby Retire?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nobody has the right to tell him how to live his life, but if I were in his family, I'd definitely try and plant the idea in his head (as I would to any other player who has accomplished as much as he has while also having the same medical risk). He will be remembered as one of the greatest to play this game regardless of how the next 5-10 years play out, and already has all the hardware he can win (both team and individual). He owes nothing else to the hockey world, nor is there anything left for him to prove. He absolutely has the right to keep playing if that's his prerogative, but nobody could fault him if he decided to look after his own future health and family plans.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Anyone can find enough on google to sound like a doctor. Unless you are Sid´s doctor and know everything about his health, its pure speculation no matter if he is a doctor or not.

Doctors don't even know everything about concussions. I disagree with that guy, and think it's total BS that we can't discuss this because we aren't doctors. Guess we shut down the Trade board, we aren't GMs right? It's the laziest, most incompetent form of posting. People that do it and say /thread are hilariously smelly people.

Leave the doctoring to the doctors.

Shut down the trade board, you nor I are GMs

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Nobody has the right to tell him how to live his life, but if I were in his family, I'd definitely try and plant the idea in his head (as I would to any other player who has accomplished as much as he has while also having the same medical risk). He will be remembered as one of the greatest to play this game regardless of how the next 5-10 years play out, and already has all the hardware he can win (both team and individual). He owes nothing else to the hockey world, nor is there anything left for him to prove. He absolutely has the right to keep playing if that's his prerogative, but nobody could fault him if he decided to look after his own future health and family plans.
A selke wouldn't hurt. And a lady byng would really cement his legacy:sarcasm:.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
LOL? If they came up through junior they would be used to the goal tending, they would be used to the training regiments, they would be used to the competition. Gretzky would likely destroy everyone inn this league, like he did in the past. Same with Mario.

Think Dominik Hasek would be worse these days? or Better?

yeah sure and babe ruth would still hit 60 home runs today even though he hit them against guys that worked real jobs during the day, he would just need to get used to the pitching and minority players...

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
yeah sure and babe ruth would still hit 60 home runs today even though he hit them against guys that worked real jobs during the day, he would just need to get used to the pitching and minority players...

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.. Automatically assuming he sucks and wouldn't adjust to the new Era "IF HE GREW UP" in the new era is the silliest thing I've ever seen.. He might hit 40, which is still elite in todays MLB game.

What are you trying to prove? You're speculating about how a player from a previous era would do in this era? Then using that speculation to prop up players on the all-time lists, after half of their careers?

You actually think Gretzky would be trash in this era, if he was born in 1999?
Under your assumptions, the HoF is meaningless because all players will eventually be out of the top 20 in their respective sports. What is the point of having a history.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I agree with the "if he wants to play and he's medically clear then he should play" crowd. He's an adult. He knows the risks. He knows his medical history. He knows the history of people/athletes that suffer concussions.

He's definitely medically cleared and it seems like he still wants to play so no, he should not retire.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
It's crazy how Pittsburgh's two generational stars (Lemieux and Crosby) have such injury history.

Knock on wood that Crosby doesn't get a major illness now too...

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
I agree with the "if he wants to play and he's medically clear then he should play" crowd. He's an adult. He knows the risks. He knows his medical history. He knows the history of people/athletes that suffer concussions.

He's definitely medically cleared and it seems like he still wants to play so no, he should not retire.

Is it moral to medically clear someone with that history?
We've all read horror stories of people with concussions. :help:

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.. Automatically assuming he sucks and wouldn't adjust to the new Era "IF HE GREW UP" in the new era is the silliest thing I've ever seen.. He might hit 40, which is still elite in todays MLB game.

What are you trying to prove? You're speculating about how a player from a previous era would do in this era? Then using that speculation to prop up players on the all-time lists, after half of their careers?

You actually think Gretzky would be trash in this era, if he was born in 1999?
Under your assumptions, the HoF is meaningless because all players will eventually be out of the top 20 in their respective sports. What is the point of having a history.

i said players pre 1980, watch those games now and tell me you don't see a massive difference in speed and talent

everything gets better over time especially with more participation

silly is thinking a player from 1950 is better than crosby just because he scored more career goals while playing more years and much less competition

if you want to think babe ruth would be great today while never seeing a slider or playing against nobody but white guys that worked construction during the day, be my guest

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
i said players pre 1980, watch those games now and tell me you don't see a massive difference in speed and talent

silly is thinking a player from 1950 is better than crosby just because he scored more career goals while playing more years and much less competition

if you want to think babe ruth would be great today while never seeing a slider or playing against nobody but white guys that worked construction during the day, be my guest

I think the best thing to do is compare the player to their own era. Gretzky absolutely crushed his competition. That's all a guy can do. Is he one of the best players ever including players of now, I would say yes.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I see your reverse jinx thread and raise you,

"Real Talk, should the Capitals just fold their franchise after their inevitable game 7 loss?

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Yes. It's moral to clear someone who should be medically cleared.

Concussion clearance is one of the most dodgy things in sports in which I'm sure you can agree on.

Just check out football players nowadays, a lot of them see the danger and are retiring just past 30. Crosby is an adult, yes, but is he capable of taking an objective look at his health when his whole life has been hockey? I'm not so sure. If he wants to continue playing then that's fine. If the rest of his life is filled with regret then that's on him and the people who thought he was fit enough to play.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If the Preds win the cup this season, Josi should retire as he's had apparently 7 concussions in his career. He's also such a genius and a physics wiz when I had a convo with him, wouldn't want to see him jeopardize his health that much. At least Josi plays a style that means those injuries were more fluky than anything.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Sid should take a year off maybe ... enjoy life and heal up... that alone might pay off in the end for Pens extending his career by a few yrs.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Lol no.

Had the Pens won tonight I suspect we'd be reading a "Should Ovechkin Retire" thread.

I don't think so. I'm unsure of why Pens fans are clamoring for Sid the Kid to not retire. Not very objective, I think they care more about winning than his health.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

To the bolded: yes it does. Which is why those guys would be just as good if they had the same advantages players have today. (technologically/physiologically)

He played competition that was appropriate to his era. So because he torched everyone that had the same advancements as him he should get lesser treatment to Bonds? How would babe Ruth even play today without ever seeing a slider? Kids are throwing sliders at 10-12 years old. Would he be playing at 105 years old? Or would he actually come up through this era and be privy to the pitching/hitting of today?

If you want to magically transport people from pre-1980 to this era so it fits your narrative that they are worse than todays players whom grew up with the advancements in the sport, be my guest

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't think so. I'm unsure of why Pens fans are clamoring for Sid the Kid to not retire. Not very objective, I think they care more about winning than his health.

Im sure the medical staff knows what is best for Sid...
For every Lindros/Pronger we have a Josi...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad