Speculation: Should Claude Lemieux be in the HOF?

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Man he was one of the greatest playoff performers in NHL history. No way that can be debated. That game 7 OT winner against Hartford in 86 is one I haven't forgotten.
I was at that game in the nosebleeds. I think he was a rookie that year?

I think a good chunk of HOF selection is a popularity contest and that is why he is not getting consideration.

That aside, Lemieux was clutch. Never flashy. And he was dirty asf. I loved him.

There's an argument to be made but not sure he ever gets in even after time takes off some of the rough edges of memory.

Reactions: bopeep

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Kevin Stevens? Justin Williams? Scott Gomez? Among NHLers with at least 10 playoff GP Claude sits tied with dozens of other guys for 315th on the all-time playoff points per game list.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hockey is played all year long so no.

His regular season number are not impressive.

Drouin and Lemieux have similar career PPG.

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
Henderson shouldn't be, I don't think Claude should be or a ton of guys already in there including Lindros, and Paul Kariya lol
Lindros doesn't deserve to be in the HOF?

The guy is 15th all time (among retired players) in points per game. He's got a Hart trophy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Claude Lemieux is the player you always hated but wished he was playing for your team.

He was an impressive instigator, he knew how to goad opponents into fits of rage but he would typically not answer the bell when challenged to fight.

I believe that a player such as this, deserves a special ceremony.

They ought to invite him at center ice to present to him an award and a banner. And as soon as he buys in, never offer them to him. It would be the ultimate recognition. :sarcasm:

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Claude Lemieux was lying on the ice for the umpteenth time.
It was early in the series at the Saddledome. Habs trainer Gaetan Lefebvre was about to hop over the boards to assist Lemieux but Pat Burns pulled him back.
Like Lemieux's teammates - let alone opponents and officials - Burns had seen enough.
He grabbed the trainer’s sweater and said “Let the S.O.B lie there.”

He thought Lemieux was embarrassing the sport, and more importantly, the Canadiens jersey.

Reactions: BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For the people laughing at the thought, need I remind you that Kevin Lowe is in?

It's not just a hall of superstars. The horse is long out of the barn for that standard to apply, and lemieux certainly has a case.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Claude Lemieux is the player you always hated but wished he was playing for your team.

He was an impressive instigator, he knew how to goad opponents into fits of rage but he would typically not answer the bell when challenged to fight.

They ought to invite him at center ice to present to him an award and a banner. And as soon as he buys in, never offer them to him. It would be the ultimate recognition. :sarcasm:
He was an innovator. He created the diving Olympics the NHL is now

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not imo...cups are a team accomplishment, not an individual one.

Including him would be setting the bar pretty low moving forward
We have a winner.
Lots of players were clutch in the playoffs.

For the people laughing at the thought, need I remind you that Kevin Lowe is in?

It's not just a hall of superstars. The horse is long out of the barn for that standard to apply, and lemieux certainly has a case.
And............he shouldn't be.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
No Conn Smythe, no Cups.
He was the best player in the world for a few years. He was a one man wrecking crew. If he had learned to keep his head up with the puck, I think he could have had a top 10 career (slaf needs to take heed). But for what he did do, he deserves his HOF placement.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Claude Lemieux was lying on the ice for the umpteenth time.
It was early in the series at the Saddledome. Habs trainer Gaetan Lefebvre was about to hop over the boards to assist Lemieux but Pat Burns pulled him back.
Like Lemieux's teammates - let alone opponents and officials - Burns had seen enough.
He grabbed the trainer’s sweater and said “Let the S.O.B lie there.”

He thought Lemieux was embarrassing the sport, and more importantly, the Canadiens jersey.

And I raise you Ty Cobb.

You laugh but for a lot of those things plus his skills, he was a legendary player.

Reactions: viceroy and Tyson

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He was the best player in the world for a few years. He was a one man wrecking crew. If he had learned to keep his head up with the puck, I think he could have had a top 10 career (slaf needs to take heed). But for what he did do, he deserves his HOF placement.

Are we talking about lindros?

I don't know if he was the best player for a "few years" but 1995 lindros was the most dominant power forward I have ever seen in the sense that he would score a couple points in a game while ensuring the other team's defense will have ice bags waiting for them after the game.

I'd say he was maybe the most feared player for a few years but in terms of being the best, maybe just one year circa 1995.

Reactions: barbu

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah definitely was not my intention, he was a key player on all of those Cup runs but I've never looked at those as individual accomplishments for anyone he really.

Nothing personal against him.

Yes he played a lot of playoff games and scored a lot of playoff goals, big goals in important moments and I think those moments are why this is even a discussion.

Moments stick out and I get that...but for me HOF is not about moments it's about being one of the best players of your era, for the majority of your career and he doesn't tick that box for me, he doesn't have enough of the individual accomplishments in terms of stats or trophies for me.

Doesn't mean I think he wasn't a very good player. I just don't think very good needs to be in the HoF.

But that's not what the HoF is about though, not when you have guys like Clarke Gillies and Dick Duff in there.
Or more modern eras with Glenn Anderson and Joe Nieuwendyk.
I see no reason why they get in but Lemieux doesn't.

As for Lemieux, while he wasn't one of the best players of his era like Wayne or Mario, he probably and definitely was the best and most skilled pest of his time. Just like Bob Gainey and Guy Carbo were nowhere near the best of their eras, but they were definitely at the top of the elite when it came to their playing style.
I see no difference with Claude Lemieux..guy was hated everywhere he played and he answered that by having only 3 other players with more PO experience than him, 9th in scoring, a conn smythe, and brings home 4 cups plus medals.
I mean, if that's not HoF worthy, then a lot of guys need their HoF status revoked.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But that's not what the HoF is about though, not when you have guys like Clarke Gillies and Dick Duff in there.
Or more modern eras with Glenn Anderson and Joe Nieuwendyk.
I see no reason why they get in but Lemieux doesn't.
Providing names of players who are questionable HoFers, is not a reason to
Include others who are just as questionable, IMO.

It's not a default HoF, or rather it shouldn't be, because that's where you get guys like Gillies and Duff in there.

So saying “average player A got in, so why shouldn't average player B get in”, is not a good argument, for me.
As for Lemieux, while he wasn't one of the best players of his era like Wayne or Mario, he probably and definitely was the best and most skilled pest of his time. Just like Bob Gainey and Guy Carbo were nowhere near the best of their eras, but they were definitely at the top of the elite when it came to their playing style.
I see no difference with Claude Lemieux..guy was hated everywhere he played and he answered that by having only 3 other players with more PO experience than him, 9th in scoring, a conn smythe, and brings home 4 cups plus medals.
I mean, if that's not HoF worthy, then a lot of guys need their HoF status revoked.
It's not HoF worthy to me, but you make some good points other than the ones referring to other borderline Hall of Fame players, which again, isn't a valid reason for me.

As for Gainey and Carbo, they were the best of their eras at what they did, so its a bit different and I suppose on some level, you could argue that Lemieux’s pest nature and playoff acumen warrants him getting in.

But then you could say the same about Ken Linseman lol.

Just becomes a slippery slope

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Providing names of players who are questionable HoFers, is not a reason to
Include others who are just as questionable, IMO.

It's not a default HoF, or rather it shouldn't be, because that's where you get guys like Gillies and Duff in there.

So saying “average player A got in, so why shouldn't average player B get in”, is not a good argument, for me.
No my point is more that the standard you set isn't the one set by the committee.
So to you it can be about this or that but you can't use that as an argument because clearly, based on previous selections, this isn't the standard that's applied.

Kinda like the Norris trophy. It seldom is awared to the actual best defensive player, it's moreso given to the best overall. Same with the Selke, it's not about the best defensive center because as soon as the production of a center dips too low, they aren't even considered. So it's more about the best two-way center.

Being selected in the HoF isn't about being the best of your era. It's about the impact you've had on the game, and your contributions.
It's not HoF worthy to me, but you make some good points other than the ones referring to other borderline Hall of Fame players, which again, isn't a valid reason for me.

As for Gainey and Carbo, they were the best of their eras at what they did, so its a bit different and I suppose on some level, you could argue that Lemieux’s pest nature and playoff acumen warrants him getting in.

But then you could say the same about Ken Linseman lol.

Just becomes a slippery slope

Ken Linseman didn't win 4 cups, a Conn Smythe, finish 4th with most PO games, and 9th in PO goal scoring.
He's got one cup and one silver medal. If you think he's in the same ballpark then you're seriously underplaying Lemieux's accomplishments.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A great player like that was too stupid to learn to play with his head up. He was dominant for a few years but he was definitely not "the next one".

Reactions: Shabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad