Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Marner isn’t waiving for a team that just finished 31st
Money talks. A deal in place of 12.5 x 8 and Marner would accept the Hawks. And considering he’d likely come close to free so would the Hawks accept Marner.

Ledge And Dairy

You can make a deal with an extension in place.

Because its not. Its prob got some of the longest travel in the league, zero history, high cost of living, and an underwhelming team.
No, you can sign a player to an extension after a trade is made. That's how it's always done. Sometimes a selling team will give you permission to talk to a player beforehand but that doesn't change their trade value.

Anywhere in the West is long travel but you are nuts if you think Treliving would ever trade him within the division. History? What does that matter? There is no state tax in Seattle, the cost of living is significantly lower than places like LA, Chicago, New York, or anywhere in Canada. I don't think they are underwhelming at all. I think Beniers significantly underachieved this year and with 23M cap space I think they could absolutely be a playoff team next year with Marner

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
No, you can sign a player to an extension after a trade is made. That's how it's always done. Sometimes a selling team will give you permission to talk to a player beforehand but that doesn't change their trade value.

Anywhere in the West is long travel but you are nuts if you think Treliving would ever trade him within the division. History? What does that matter? There is no state tax in Seattle, the cost of living is significantly lower than places like LA, Chicago, New York, or anywhere in Canada. I don't think they are underwhelming at all. I think Beniers significantly underachieved this year and with 23M cap space I think they could absolutely be a playoff team next year with Marner
Your wrong.

Seattle is not a team that people think are contenders anytime soon.

Dubois had extensions in place upon trade. Tkachuk did a sign and trade. It can be done.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Ledge And Dairy

Your wrong.

Dubois had extensions in place upon trade. Tkachuk did a sign and trade. It can be done.
I'm wrong about cost of living? Maybe it's expensive for the average Joe, people making 11M a year don't live in apartment buildings.

Fine whatever you don't think they are a contender, could make the exact same argument a out Nashville.

Dubious and Tkachuk were RFA's. Due to the new CBA only the team that has your rights after the trade deadline of the final year of your contract can sign you to an 8 year deal. Therefore the only way Florida and LA could get their respective players on an 8 year deal was if they were pre-signed. That is not the case with players entering the final year of their contract like Marner. There is no incentive at all to pay extra for the player to be pre-signed.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I'm wrong about cost of living? Maybe it's expensive for the average Joe, people making 11M a year don't live in apartment buildings.

Fine whatever you don't think they are a contender, could make the exact same argument a out Nashville.

Dubious and Tkachuk were RFA's. Due to the new CBA only the team that has your rights after the trade deadline of the final year of your contract can sign you to an 8 year deal. Therefore the only way Florida and LA could get their respective players on an 8 year deal was if they were pre-signed. That is not the case with players entering the final year of their contract like Marner. There is no incentive at all to pay extra for the player to be pre-signed.
Yes your wrong about cost of living. The topic you pushed back on. The house/apartment he would purchase would be very expensive comparatively to the cost of other places. New York and LA withstanding.

Marner can choose his destination because of his NTC. He can work a sign and trade if he would like, he can also work out a contract with a team and sign upon trade. There's no argument that this can be done. Whether that happens I dont know. There's a ton of different scenerios.

Not one person in this whole thread said there is incentive to pay extra for player to be "pre-signed".

If Chicago wants Marner and is willing to give up X but only if they can work out a contract but not for 1 year then they can agree on the trade and sign asap. Its not that hard.

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I was suggesting Nylander to NSH before he resigned, would have rather him but Marner works as well . Saros, Glass , +

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Maybe, but not guaranteed. You could easily have situation like this with Saros and Marner where both players need to be signed but are just traded as is and its up to each team to sign them.
That's possible, but I doubt Toronto will do a deal like this without catering to a destination Marner is willing to sign in. It would severely limit their return and potentially removes the 8-year possibility for Marner

It just makes sense for both sides to get him to a location he will more than likely sign in, even if it isn't immediate

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Your wrong.

Dubois also a sign and trade as he was a rfa.

Seth Jones got a new 8 year deal with Chicago because he still had a year left on his cbs deal when Chicago acquired him. Just could t sign til after July 1.

Basically have to agree to it upon the trade. It’s a bad look for a GM and or agent to go back on a firm handshake agreement. Either side will lose goodwill around the nhl.

Ledge And Dairy

Yes your wrong about cost of living. The topic you pushed back on. The house/apartment he would purchase would be very expensive comparatively to the cost of other places. New York and LA withstanding.

Marner can choose his destination because of his NTC. He can work a sign and trade if he would like, he can also work out a contract with a team and sign upon trade. There's no argument that this can be done. Whether that happens I dont know. There's a ton of different scenerios.

Not one person in this whole thread said there is incentive to pay extra for player to be "pre-signed".

If Chicago wants Marner and is willing to give up X but only if they can work out a contract but not for 1 year then they can agree on the trade and sign asap. Its not that hard.
I am quite confident a mansion in Seattle will cost less than a mansion in LA or New York. But regardless, again any money his house cost is easily mitigated by the no state tax on his income.

Marner does get to choose his location, so yes if he says I'll only waive to Chicago and Anaheim then sure. I highly doubt that's the case though. In fact those are probably 2 of the least likely teams he would waive to.

You brought up Tkachuk and Dubious. I was simply explaining why they are the anomaly.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Whether the player is "pre-signed" or "has a deal in place" are basically one in the same... the team trading for the player knows what they're getting.

The reality is, part of any discussions between Treliving and Ferris will be "what am I telling a prospective team you want on a new contract", and my guess is the answer will be $100m/8.

The second step will be once a trade in principle has been agreed to, the acquiring team will likely be given permission to negotiate with Marner to come to a deal.

Marner has an incentive to agree to a deal with a new team, as not agreeing to one risks his chances of being traded.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hasn’t Nashville had more recent success than Toronto?
Not that it’s relevant but they both went out in the first round.
Nashville lost in 6, Leafs in 7.

The answer to your question would be no.

Reactions: Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad