Speculation: Should Claude Lemieux be in the HOF?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
4 Stanley Cup championships
19 GWG in the playoffs.

80 career playoff goals.

It is kind of baffling why this player is not a Hall of Famer.

I lean towards no just because I think the Hall of Fame is a little watered down.

But he was a guy you want on your team come playoff time, as he proved over and over again.

In the NBA Robert Horry always seemed to step up and hit huge playoff shots, year after year. A unique accomplishment, but he wasn't a top tier talent.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I lean towards no just because I think the Hall of Fame is a little watered down.

But he was a guy you want on your team come playoff time, as he proved over and over again.

In the NBA Robert Horry always seemed to step up and hit huge playoff shots, year after year. A unique accomplishment, but he wasn't a top tier talent.
Fair point but the watering down has always been. Cam Neely was great but never delivered in the playoffs like Claude. Neely is in the Hall. An argument can be made.

Baffling? He was a top grade jack ass.
That's a disqualifier?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not imo...cups are a team accomplishment, not an individual one.

Including him would be setting the bar pretty low moving forward
Isn't Andreychuk in the Hall. If so then the 200 players better than him should be there as well.

Reactions: Tyson

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It's an interesting question, because his playoff resume is one of the greatest. He was legitimately one of the best wingers in the game come post-season. Selanne, for example, never even came close to the same performances. We're talking about the most important period of hockey where the competition is its highest and Lemieux not only thrived, he even won the MVP over Martin Brodeur.

If he had more seasons like 93 and 96, it would have been a no-brainer. I would take him over a few HOFers when the game is on the line.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Fair point but the watering down has always been. Cam Neely was great but never delivered in the playoffs like Claude. Neely is in the Hall. An argument can be made.

That's a disqualifier?
I am guessing that yes it is.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Isn't Andreychuk in the Hall. If so then the 200 players better than him should be there as well.
Not sure why you're bringing him up, I wasn't the biggest fan as a player but he scored 640 goals and had over 1300pts while playing over 1600 games.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not imo...cups are a team accomplishment, not an individual one.

Including him would be setting the bar pretty low moving forward
While this is true, you can't just discredit someone for it. This isn't Aaron Ward...
Claude Lemieux won 4 cups, with three different teams, finishing 9th of all-time in PO goal scoring with 80goals. He is 4th in PO games with 234, in 18 years of career he missed the PO once. You can also add a Conn Smythe trophy, 2 gold (one in junior) and 1 silver medals for Team Canada too.

If this is the low bar....I don't have much of an issue with it.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I cant remember if it was nilan or ludwig, but they mentioned that Claude Lemieux was MVP caliber in the 86 run, and he obviously the MVP in the 95 cup win.

High praise, and a guy who every team wanted when the chips were down, despite the shenanigans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad