Should Chia "leak" a trade rumour?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So what's the excuse in 2006 when the Oilers played in the SC and everyone wanted out.

In 2006 everybody thought the reason was the shaky ownership that was EIG. Katz buying the team a couple years later was supposed to change that. It didn't. I think the weather and the cities isolation plays a small part in that but only a small part. The biggest reason free agents aren't coming here is because the team is awful. Who wants to waste their best playing years on a team with no chance to win? Having the leagues worst management group in place for fifteen years has only made the situation worse.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
In 2006 everybody thought the reason was the shaky ownership that was EIG. Katz buying the team a couple years later was supposed to change that. It didn't. I think the weather and the cities isolation plays a small part in that but only a small part. The biggest reason free agents aren't coming here is because the team is awful. Who wants to waste their best playing years on a team with no chance to win? Having the leagues worst management group in place for fifteen years has only made the situation worse.
So why are players signing in Buffalo and and Columbus and not Edmonton. It's really a problem in all of Canada. Players don't sign with Canadian teams because of the media in Canada. The media in Canada have a habit of being too critical of players on Canadian teams. It's not just Edmonton.

http://spectorshockey.net/how-come-canadian-born-nhl-superstars-never-come-home/
http://globalnews.ca/news/1840707/many-nhl-players-not-keen-on-playing-in-canadian-cities-survey/

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I suspect Eberle and RNH are hoping they get traded - don't think for a minute it will make them play better. I think they've been on their way out the door for a few months and feel they can only win somewhere else.
Just the feeling I get.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Chara signed the same time Pronger did, didn't he? I'm pretty sure Boston just outbid everyone else.

Chara was signed when Pronger bailed. I remember when Pronger wanted out that Chara was UFA and I wanted to Oilers to go for him. I said trade Pronger, sign Chara and the team would be able to contend again with Z on the back end and the assets we'd get for Pronger. When I heard they actually were pursuing him, I was ecstatic, but he went to Boston instead. As per above, there may have been some shady dealings, who knows (or cares at this point)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I think no. Chiarelli should not conduct his business through the media. What McLellan said after the game yesterday was enough.
If the culprits don't pick up on that hint then GM shooting his mouth off isn't going to have any effect either.

You do realize that Oilers have a lot of problems signing UFAs. Those players most likely didn't want to sign in Edmonton.
God this excuse gets tiring.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It's not an excuse. It's a fact.
Even facts can become excuses if you keep using them over and over to explain the Oilers poor performance.

Personally I think the whole weather thing is overblown. First, lots and lots of NHL cities have cold weather in winter. Its a winter sport, played on ice. There aren't that many NHL cities that are real warm in winter. Second, hockey season only lasts for eight months. And half the games are on the road, so no matter where you choose to live you are going to be away from home for the equivalent of four months minimum during the season. So really, any player coming to Edmonton would only have to physically live in Edmonton for the equivalent of four months of the year. Then four months on the road. Then four months living wherever the **** they want to live. If there are hockey players who won't play in Edmonton because they would have to spend a whole disastrous four months a year living there ... well, I don't need those kind of pinheads on my team. Do you?

The travel problem is legit. But realignment has addressed some of that, and honestly these guys all travel a ton.
When you add it all up is it really so different for team like Winnipeg, Vancouver, Dallas?

Players don't want to come to Edmonton because the team is a nightmare and has been for going on ten seasons now.
Fix that and the team will be able to attract the FAs it needs.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Even facts can become excuses if you keep using them over and over to explain the Oilers poor performance.

Personally I think the whole weather thing is overblown. First, lots and lots of NHL cities have cold weather in winter. Its a winter sport, played on ice. There aren't that many NHL cities that are real warm in winter. Second, hockey season only lasts for eight months. And half the games are on the road, so no matter where you choose to live you are going to be away from home for the equivalent of four months minimum during the season. So really, any player coming to Edmonton would only have to physically live in Edmonton for the equivalent of four months of the year. Then four months on the road. Then four months living wherever the **** they want to live. If there are hockey players who won't play in Edmonton because they would have to spend a whole disastrous four months a year living there ... well, I don't need those kind of pinheads on my team. Do you?

The travel problem is legit. But realignment has addressed some of that, and honestly these guys all travel a ton.
When you add it all up is it really so different for team like Winnipeg, Vancouver, Dallas?

Players don't want to come to Edmonton because the team is a nightmare and has been for going on ten seasons now.
Fix that and the team will be able to attract the FAs it needs.
So what's the excuse for the other 6 Canadian teams.

Some links why players won't sign with Canadian teams.
http://spectorshockey.net/how-come-canadian-born-nhl-superstars-never-come-home/
http://globalnews.ca/news/1840707/many-nhl-players-not-keen-on-playing-in-canadian-cities-survey/[/QUOTE]

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Depends on the return.

If we could get a return like Spurgeon and Coyle from the Wild, I'd probably do it. I don't think we can trade RNH without a center coming back, though, and I'm still scared to death of piling tough assignments on McDavid and Drai.

'Stop throwing the kids to the wolves!, that's how we ruined Gagner/Nilsson/Peckham etc etc etc...'

*trades our only center with any NHL experience not named Letestu*

Yep

Although...... Draisaitl was killing it as a 1st center for a few games. His size makes a significant difference, especially in the West

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We saw with Matt Duchene that after his name was brought up, he started to give a ****. He had the best November for an Avs player in a long time.

Should Chia intentionally leak names like RNH and Eberle to get a spark going?

It could potentially get them to play better. Or it could be an added distraction that further derails this season. (Nothing to lose anyways..)

The other positive is that it could get teams throwing out offers. No reason to make a panic trade but why not listen?

who says he hasn't

Like many I followed the bread crumbs of the Fayne/Hartnell deal from last month and it lead back to guys who had previously been linked to Chia Pet and rumours--the crux of the rumour was to get a fire lit under Fayne and a wake up call for Lander--in my guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad