Should Chia "leak" a trade rumour?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Depends on numbers.

I would think more teams would support the league, so long as they succeed.
I think league owners right now rather move the most struggling teams financially to Quebec and Vegas and if that improves league revenue then look into expanding.

Move one of Carolina or Florida up to Quebec and then Arizona up to Vegas. Problem solved.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Seems like that has already happened.

Sure does.
The RNH talk sure ramped up quick this week starting with Spec.
Right around the time the traveling media were upset that they couldn't get an interview with Chia while he had given Spec a phone interview.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Well the league as it is... It's basically just the Hawks and Kings with drummed up rivalries between teams that have about as much history as the Hurricanes and Wild.

The NHL is so terribly run it's not even funny.

Let's just guess there are 15 stable teams......if you could add say.....2? So now you have 17 stable teams.

15/30=50%....17/32=~53% etc. #mathemticianatwork

Considering the fact that relegation is a bit taboo and that for some reason cities/municipalities have to pay for new stadiums now....I think its a decent option to help fund the sun-belt vacation franchises.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I don't think anything big is going to happen until close to the deadline if at all this year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think anything big is going to happen until close to the deadline if at all this year.

I think we'll see a smaller deal by Christmas, something like a middle pick for a decent winger.

Still annoys me that this team's management no matter who it is always think that the Oilers have no need for the Tlusty's, Stempniak's, Winnik's and Raymond's of the NHL - cheap late-free agency bottom sixers that make their teams better. Rather have any of those guys than Korpikoski.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I think we'll see a smaller deal by Christmas, something like a middle pick for a decent winger.

Still annoys me that this team's management no matter who it is always think that the Oilers have no need for the Tlusty's, Stempniak's, Winnik's and Raymond's of the NHL - cheap late-free agency bottom sixers that make their teams better. Rather have any of those guys than Korpikoski.
You do realize that Oilers have a lot of problems signing UFAs. Those players most likely didn't want to sign in Edmonton.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Unless it's Johansen, Seth Jones, Brodin etc.. I say we keep RNH.

I guess you have not watched Eberle and RNH during road trip 0% compete effort. If that game against Detroit did not show you that, then you don't watch enough hockey. We need guys like Clutterbuck and Simmonds.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I think guys like Derek Roy or Curtis Glencross would have taken Edmonton over Europe or retirement.
Glencross failed to PTO this year. Glencross complained when younger players got more ice time than him in Calgary and asked for a trade. He didn't do much in Washington. Roy failed a PTO as well. Aren't people whining about size and wanted Roy who's small.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I guess you have not watched Eberle and RNH during road trip 0% compete effort. If that game against Detroit did not show you that, then you don't watch enough hockey. We need guys like Clutterbuck and Simmonds.

You mean on pace for 17 goals and -39 Wayne Simmonds? Yeah, that'll fix what ails us...

If there's a team that exactly mirrors what we're going through right now it's the Flyers. Great top 6, horrawful defence, but great young guys on the back end. Ghost looks like the real deal so far.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
So the weather is now Lowe's fault. Good grief. Players have said the weather is the reason they don't come to Edmonton. Doesn't help when Al Strachan called Edmonton Siberia and a prison.

players dont come to edmonton because the team is awful. the weather plays very little into a decision

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So what's the excuse in 2006 when the Oilers played in the SC and everyone wanted out.

Good call Narnia. Obviously the losing makes things even tougher but Pronger, Peca, Spacek, etc. all bailed at seasons end.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Good call Narnia. Obviously the losing makes things even tougher but Pronger, Peca, Spacek, etc. all bailed at seasons end.

Oilers made an offer to Chara in the summer of 2006 and he chose a non-playoff **** team in Boston over the SC Finalist in Edmonton.

Edmonton will never be a premiere destination for UFAs. The weather is among the worst. The City is among the smallest. The travel schedule is among the toughest. The only thing going for it is some players like the small-city lifestyle and the fans are among the best. But to be honest, most players would pick to be a star in California or play out east where you can still sleep at home after a road game.

That being said, the Oilers now have a generational superstar on the team, which makes it more attractive. So a window is now there where a player will look at playing in Edmonton a bit differently. But if they dont make good with this golden ticket, well, if we all thought players avoided Edmonton before McDavid...

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers made an offer to Chara in the summer of 2006 and he chose a non-playoff **** team in Boston over the SC Finalist in Edmonton.

Edmonton will never be a premiere destination for UFAs. The weather is among the worst. The City is among the smallest. The travel schedule is among the toughest. The only thing going for it is some players like the small-city lifestyle and the fans are among the best. But to be honest, most players would pick to be a star in California or play out east where you can still sleep at home after a road game.

That being said, the Oilers now have a generational superstar on the team, which makes it more attractive. So a window is now there where a player will look at playing in Edmonton a bit differently. But if they dont make good with this golden ticket, well, if we all thought players avoided Edmonton before McDavid...

There were actually some rumblings of disgruntled GMs who felt Chiarelli tampered with the Chara signing in 06, including some reporters hearing that GMs felt that Chara wasn't even bothering to entertain most of the offers that went his way. Chiarelli wasn't allowed to run the team officially, but he was known as a close friend of Chara from his time as an assistant GM with Ottawa and ordered Gordon(interim guy) to sign Chara at all costs.

People also forget how bad the reputation of EIG and Lowe were with regards to the NHLPA back in 2006 coming out of the lockout. Years of being the small market hardliner in favor of the cap and Lowe's many anti-player stunts took it's toll. You can't have GMs pull what Lowe did with Comrie, or have ownership groups state that Pronger should have gotten divorce rather than demand a trade, and not expect NHL players to view the franchise as hostile. It's probably even the main reason why Katz punted Lowe to a less involved role as POHO a month after taking official control of the franchise, he did get to sit in on Lowe's attempt to woo Hossa and other players on the UFA market after all.

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
You mean on pace for 17 goals and -39 Wayne Simmonds? Yeah, that'll fix what ails us...

If there's a team that exactly mirrors what we're going through right now it's the Flyers. Great top 6, horrawful defence, but great young guys on the back end. Ghost looks like the real deal so far.

Simmonds is actually the perfect fit for this team. The Flyers are struggling as a whole, it's not just simmonds fault. This is a guy who has scored 28 ,29, 28 goals and 15 in 45 games during the lockout year plus is physical, doesn't shy away from the net and isn't afraid to screen the goalie.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Sometimes I wish the Oilers would move when I read garbage on this board criticizing every move the Oilers make. Comrie was jerk and demanded first round money when he was drafted in the third round. Comrie forgave Lowe for that and said he was too young at the time so why can't fans forgive. Comrie actually came back to Edmonton so that proves all was forviben by the two. The media are trying to run the team out of town.

You do realize it was Lowe's idea along with Nicholson's to punt MacTavish out as GM. Lowe has been hated by the fan base since he became GM in 2000. Every trade Lowe made was criticized. Katz wanted Lowe to longer be GM because of the constant criticism Lowe was getting. Lowe no longer wanted to be POHO and went to Nicholson after Chia was fired to try and get him as GM. MacT was pissed that he was basically fired and Chia hired.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sometimes I wish the Oilers would move when I read garbage on this board criticizing every move the Oilers make. Comrie was jerk and demanded first round money when he was drafted in the third round. Comrie forgave Lowe for that and said he was too young at the time so why can't fans forgive. Comrie actually came back to Edmonton so that proves all was forviben by the two. The media are trying to run the team out of town.

You do realize it was Lowe's idea along with Nicholson's to punt MacTavish out as GM. Lowe has been hated by the fan base since he became GM in 2000. Every trade Lowe made was criticized. Katz wanted Lowe to longer be GM because of the constant criticism Lowe was getting. Lowe no longer wanted to be POHO and went to Nicholson after Chia was fired to try and get him as GM. MacT was pissed that he was basically fired and Chia hired.

Stop bashing Comrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad