Proposal: Should Buffalo Go After Kadri This Summer ?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You make the concept of buying out a contract sound like not a big deal. “Only” five more years? If this is based around Skinner still it doesn’t work as Skinner as an NTC when he chose Buffalo specifically to be close to family.

They have enough cap space to pull this off without Skinner probably, so it’s unnecessary.
The flames aren't taking Skinner back anyways, so it's a moot point. They organization doesn't spend money on dead cap space.... Intentionality anyways.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kadri would basically become the next cycle of Kyle Okposo etc. Veteran player, probably a non-culture changing soft landing.

Maybe they should go after Lindy Ruff and try to retro the good old days, try to implement an up-tempo, blue collar pack rat mentality and hope UPL is the next Ullmark.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If they're talking to Calgary about Kadri they may as well really throw their balls on the table and get Andersson as well

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The flames aren't taking Skinner back anyways, so it's a moot point. They organization doesn't spend money on dead cap space.... Intentionality anyways.
No they just spend huge dollars on guys that will end up as dead cap space.

“Only five years left” ……He’s soon to be 34. Your fan base bashed the hell out of the Miller signing until just recently- probably still do. He is a way better player than Kadri and his contract end at 37 not 39.

If Calgary can get out of that deal and take back Skinner they should in a heartbeat. The wheels are going to fall off Kadri within two to three years. Get a sweetener from the Sabres to take the guy who extra cap dollars:

• Haha
Reactions: Nanuuk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Dean Evason mention makes more sense than the Kadri idea.

Sabres need some strong consistent veterans but I don't think a very expensive player like Kadri is worth it. There's a lot of players on the UFA market that would provide better value.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Blake Coleman would make more sense to me, younger than Kadri but still a vet, easier contract to fit, probably an easier cost of acquisition. Plays that fast, hard, in your face style that Buffalo desperately needs to add around their high end talent

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
There is no reason yo acquire that kind of term on a 30× player on the downside of their csreer.

I expect buffalo drafts a center this summer.

God yeah, another 18 year old should do the trick.

I think the Dean Evason mention makes more sense than the Kadri idea.

Sabres need some strong consistent veterans but I don't think a very expensive player like Kadri is worth it. There's a lot of players on the UFA market that would provide better value.

Is there? This UFA market kind of blows. And unless you're going to throw crazy money at Lindholm, Stephenson, or Wennberg why would any of these players come to Buffalo?

Reactions: pf8363

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is there? This UFA market kind of blows. And unless you're going to throw crazy money at Lindholm, Stephenson, or Wennberg why would any of these players come to Buffalo?

I think his UFA market actually has a lot of good players. And Kadri isn't necessarily a top of the lineup fix for Buffalo. They can certainly use a shutdown center like Wennberg, who I think might not be too expensive.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think his UFA market actually has a lot of good players. And Kadri isn't necessarily a top of the lineup fix for Buffalo. They can certainly use a shutdown center like Wennberg, who I think might not be too expensive.

Kadri would lead the Sabres in scoring by a good margin this season, not sure how much more top of the lineup you can get.

He's leading the Flames in scoring having played with two rookies all year. I get people don't like him, even the Flames fanbase rag on him constantly, but he's a very solid top 6 two way centerman. Don't see how another shrinking violet like Wennberg would make much difference. That team needs guys who hate to lose.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Buffalo needs a goalie to step up and a coach. They don’t need a guy who is soon to be 34 and will be a scrub in two years hoarding up 7 million of cap.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Kadri would lead the Sabres in scoring by a good margin this season, not sure how much more top of the lineup you can get.

He's leading the Flames in scoring having played with two rookies all year. I get people don't like him, even the Flames fanbase rag on him constantly, but he's a very solid top 6 two way centerman. Don't see how another shrinking violet like Wennberg would make much difference. That team needs guys who hate to lose.

Yeah this isn’t gonna be true when Tage isn’t playing with a broken wrist. Or when Kadri is 50 and still playing out this contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
God yeah, another 18 year old should do the trick.

Kadri has how many years?

Buffalo has Ostlund Coming over next year. Likely playing A in 24/25 and in buffalo 26/27. He Is a C.

If buffalo feels they need a center its short term of 1-2 yrs.

If they draft s center in th yop 10 next year he is on buffalo in 26/27.

They also could make trades for players on shorter term than the bazillion yrs kadri has

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I think the Sabres need a bit of a culture shock as far as their leadership goes........Guys like Granato , Oksposo and Skinner need to be gone and they need more attitude and more of an edge...Guys like Kadri and Evason should be the type of people they target.......

Calgary on the other hand should just fully commit to the rebuild and look to move as many of these veterans as they can......I mean why keep playing for 9th and 10th place every year ? Just a terrible spot to be in...........Buffalo can get them to take Skinner to make the money work and give them some futures as well to help along Calgary's rebuild...........Calgary can eventually flip Skinner for futures at some point too.....They might have to take somebody's dead weight back in return to make the money work but so what ? You have to meet the floor anyway and the futures would help the rebuild even more.......
this might help the flames... so no

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Kadri is the type of player that will drag his team, kicking and screaming if need be, into the fray.

And he has absolutely gelled with young Pospisil and Zary and recently seems to have unlocked some of Andrei Kuzmenko's skills.

So I could see him being highly desirable even with the term on his contract. He will be full value for it even when he reaches age 37 and 38.

Would Calgary do a deal involving him with Buffalo? The odds are no as they are re-tooling then refining their roster, not re-building.

So, if Calgary has a centre that can backfill in losing Kadri and if Buffalo has the requisite assets they are willing to part with (e.g. a C, picks), then maybe a deal could be done.

Skinner doesn't move the needle much as the Flames seem rather stocked at wing, either on the big club or on the farm (Huberdeau, Mangiapane, Pospisil, Zary, Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Coleman, Pelletier, Coronato).

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Blake Coleman would make more sense to me, younger than Kadri but still a vet, easier contract to fit, probably an easier cost of acquisition. Plays that fast, hard, in your face style that Buffalo desperately needs to add around their high end talent

He's on my short list of folks I would like them to go after.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Coleman having a trade clause causes issues.

Rackell might be an interesting player to target as one of two or three acqusitions. The Pens are looking to get younger and the Sabres can afford to give up something.

The Sabres need some chippyness, consistency and someone who is happy to do dirty work in front of the net when asked, plus he's not on a huge contract for a 50(ish) point player.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I would trade Kadri for just about anything. I expect him to quit on the team again and the contract will turn very ugly

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It drops to a MNTC this off-season, with a 10 team list he can get traded to. He was born in the US and played in the USHL and NCAA. Probably wouldn't mind a trade out if it's to a situation he likes given that Calgary just dealt their UFAs to be for futures. Question is whether Buffalo is somewhere he wants to do. He turns 33 this year and has 3 years left. I doubt a high end team can afford his $5 mill cap hit, so mid level type team is the most realistic destination for him via trade.

Reactions: Iwishihadaspacebar

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Rackell might be an interesting player to target as one of two or three acqusitions. The Pens are looking to get younger and the Sabres can afford to give up something.

The Sabres need some chippyness, consistency and someone who is happy to do dirty work in front of the net when asked, plus he's not on a huge contract for a 50(ish) point player.

Buffalo doesn’t really need wingers. We’re pretty set with Tuch, Quinn, Peterka, Skinner, Benson, Greenway, and (next year) Savoie. The team needs a strong 3c (or Krebs to miraculously step up) and some depth adds up front, but the overwhelming bulk of the problem is how they’re coached.

E: Forgot Kulich and Rosen. Imagine they’ll both push for spots next year, too, but I don’t see any room for them to make the team out of camp.

Reactions: Bone Density

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I’d love Kadri on the Sabres. I even agree that a swap of him for Skinner is fine as far as salary.

But to suggest that either could be bought out of it if it doesn’t work out is silly. One being bought out is 6 years against the cap. The other would be 10 years. An actual decade. That’s just a silly preposition

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo doesn’t really need wingers. We’re pretty set with Tuch, Quinn, Peterka, Skinner, Benson, Greenway, and (next year) Savoie. The team needs a strong 3c (or Krebs to miraculously step up) and some depth adds up front, but the overwhelming bulk of the problem is how they’re coached.

E: Forgot Kulich and Rosen. Imagine they’ll both push for spots next year, too, but I don’t see any room for them to make the team out of camp.

I would say they need another winger who brings some level of physical intensity. I would actually like three, but one who can fit into the middle six would be better than just a couple of 4th line types. Coleman is that... for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad