Proposal: Should Buffalo Go After Kadri This Summer ?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I was just thinking Buffalo might need to consider a buyout for Skinner. 3 more years @ 9M and he's no longer attached to Thompson and Tuch. Buffalo as you said absolutely must add a line driving type veteran player (you can't always have young talent only to do the heavy lifting) and more leadership. I'm not sure Kadri is the specific guy they should target but I'd say your premise and reasoning are pretty spot on.
A Skinner makes little to no sense. Yes, he is way overpaid (and was from the start) but his production is easily worth $5 M or maybe $6 M and the cap penalty is not worth it. Let's not pretend Skinner is a zero -- the issue is the contract.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kadri is 33 and has a full no move, signed until 38 at $7M AAV. I don't see where Buffalo is going to offer up much of anything if they're both buying out Skinner and taking on all of that backloaded risk in Kadri.
Then why does Calgary do it, Kadri works wonders with the prospects. Every one he plays with ups their game. He's like some player coach on the team. Zero reason to move him. What he brings development wise is far greater than the benefit of having of helping the tank.

If the Flames really want to tank the key is moving markstrom anyways. Without him stealing every other game, the Flames are a lottery team.

Reactions: Fatass

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Buffalo should hold onto skinner. No chance he waives his NMC and buying him out will be expensive. He’s not hurting the team and a coaching change could help a lot considering he had an 85 point season last year. He’s overpaid but 3M overpaid isn’t breaking this team and he has no value.

Also, Kadri will be a salary cap black hole when this team is in its contention window. He’d be good for the immediate future but you’ll get a couple of good years and then be a bad deal.

They need to fire the entire coaching staff first and foremost. I’d be looking towards a Tanner Jeannot type to play in the middle 6 and a Joel Edmondson bottom pair, grit guy. I don’t think the team is as far off as everybody thinks, I just think their system is horrifically broken and they’ve had some injuries. Losing their top shutdown dman for the year and their 1C not operating at 100% hurts too.

They may be able to find someone trading off a young guy but it’s not clear who’s available now. Vegas might look to dump someone like Nick Roy or Barbashev as cap casualties. I’d keep an eye on what was out there but I wouldn’t buy out Skinner at least before next season ends under a new coach.

Reactions: Kulich Man

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It will be 2 more years before Skinner is bought out.

No interest in replacing that contract with Kadri's ..

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
It will be 2 more years before Skinner is bought out.

No interest in replacing that contract with Kadri's ..
I was going to say that just looking at the buyout, it doesn't make sense for a year at least but likely 2. Byram needs a new contract at the end of next year so it may be of consideration, but really only saves $3m in Byram's first year of the new contract.

Plus Skinner is still scoring 30 goals a season, it isn't like he's completely done, so taking that away whilst you're looking to progress to being a playoff team is unusual.

Reactions: Beerz

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No.

Buffalo should go after new ownership and move on from Terry "Starting today, the Buffalo Sabre’s existence is to win a Stanley Cup. Pegula.
To be fair the Sabres played a key part in both the Blues and Knights winning the cup.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I was going to say that just looking at the buyout, it doesn't make sense for a year at least but likely 2. Byram needs a new contract at the end of next year so it may be of consideration, but really only saves $3m in Byram's first year of the new contract.

Plus Skinner is still scoring 30 goals a season, it isn't like he's completely done, so taking that away whilst you're looking to progress to being a playoff team is unusual.

Yeah. Skinners contract is not the worrisome one for me. The one I worry about is Owen Powers

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
100% agree with the first part. I don't think 21m for a teams top 3 centers building a contender would be at all unreasonable. With the cap rising it's probably a bargain, especially talking all3 being top 6 calibre guys.
There is no reason yo acquire that kind of term on a 30× player on the downside of their csreer.

I expect buffalo drafts a center this summer.

Flames would do Cozens for Kadri.
I'm sure buffalo would do rasmus anderssen +for Jacob bryson

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Yeah. Skinners contract is not the worrisome one for me. The one I worry about is Owen Powers
It's a lot of money was not sure what they were thinking. Who knows what will happen but probably about 2x to long for contract and cap hit.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Then why does Calgary do it, Kadri works wonders with the prospects. Every one he plays with ups their game. He's like some player coach on the team. Zero reason to move him. What he brings development wise is far greater than the benefit of having of helping the tank.

If the Flames really want to tank the key is moving markstrom anyways. Without him stealing every other game, the Flames are a lottery team.

I would ask why did a non-Sabre fan propose it?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
There is absolutely no way the Flames should be tearing it down and winding up with Skinner.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Kadri the player sounds great for Buffalo, Kadri the contract does not. Cozens is growing into that 2C role well I thought, if you need the vet grits find a winger or maybe someone that’s more of a 3C.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Irie

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Yup. Sabres would need to add a lot for the Flames to take Skinner.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kadri the player sounds great for Buffalo, Kadri the contract does not. Cozens is growing into that 2C role well I thought, if you need the vet grits find a winger or maybe someone that’s more of a 3C.
Kadri's only signed for 5 more years, and can be bought out at any time. This year Kadri was under paid, at $7 million. The Kadri contract is totally fine.

Kadri has again the ability to elevate the game of young players. He'd bring something to Buffalo's lineup they are sorely missing.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The price to add Skinner into a trade for Kadri would be huge. First you need the assets that get Kadri and then you need the assets to take Skinner. I guess Buffalo could eat two million a year to maintain what Skinners cap was but skinner is 7 million is still gonna cost assets. What is Buffalo offering for a trade based around Kadri for Skinner with 2 million retained?

Irrelevant because there is a 0% chance Skinner is waiving for Calgary. There are maybe 2-3 teams he would waive for, and the Flames are in the wrong f***in place to be on that short list.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
You want PLD instead
1712009752785.png

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I don’t think a cheap shot artist is really what’s missing in Buffalo.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
No.

Buffalo should go after new ownership and move on from Terry "Starting today, the Buffalo Sabre’s existence is to win a Stanley Cup. Pegula.
+1

Pegula sucks. We need new ownership, a new GM, a new coach. More accountability and drive to win. The country club atmosphere isn't working

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Kadri's only signed for 5 more years, and can be bought out at any time. This year Kadri was under paid, at $7 million. The Kadri contract is totally fine.

Kadri has again the ability to elevate the game of young players. He'd bring something to Buffalo's lineup they are sorely missing.
You make the concept of buying out a contract sound like not a big deal. “Only” five more years? If this is based around Skinner still it doesn’t work as Skinner as an NTC when he chose Buffalo specifically to be close to family.

They have enough cap space to pull this off without Skinner probably, so it’s unnecessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad