Proposal: Should Buffalo Go After Kadri This Summer ?

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I think the Sabres need a bit of a culture shock as far as their leadership goes........Guys like Granato , Oksposo and Skinner need to be gone and they need more attitude and more of an edge...Guys like Kadri and Evason should be the type of people they target.......

Calgary on the other hand should just fully commit to the rebuild and look to move as many of these veterans as they can......I mean why keep playing for 9th and 10th place every year ? Just a terrible spot to be in...........Buffalo can get them to take Skinner to make the money work and give them some futures as well to help along Calgary's rebuild...........Calgary can eventually flip Skinner for futures at some point too.....They might have to take somebody's dead weight back in return to make the money work but so what ? You have to meet the floor anyway and the futures would help the rebuild even more.......

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I was just thinking Buffalo might need to consider a buyout for Skinner. 3 more years @ 9M and he's no longer attached to Thompson and Tuch. Buffalo as you said absolutely must add a line driving type veteran player (you can't always have young talent only to do the heavy lifting) and more leadership. I'm not sure Kadri is the specific guy they should target but I'd say your premise and reasoning are pretty spot on.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I was just thinking Buffalo might need to consider a buyout for Skinner. 3 more years @ 9M and he's no longer attached to Thompson and Tuch. Buffalo as you said absolutely must add a line driving type veteran player and more leadership. I'm not sure Kadri is the specific guy they should target but I'd say your premise and reasoning are pretty spot on.
It gives them their quality depth back up the middle after losing Middlestadt........And between Tuch , Quinn, Benson, Peterka etc , they can easily replace Skinner's goals on the wing......

Kadri could end up being a good Captain and leader going into his later years as well......His game seems to translate in the playoffs and he has won a cup before.........

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't think Buffalo would be willing to pay the price if Skinner is who they need to send back to make the cap work. I doubt Skinner would be willing to waive his NMC for Calgary right now anyway.

Also, don't you guys have enough centers? Why do you need Kadri?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I was just thinking Buffalo might need to consider a buyout for Skinner. 3 more years @ 9M and he's no longer attached to Thompson and Tuch. Buffalo as you said absolutely must add a line driving type veteran player (you can't always have young talent only to do the heavy lifting) and more leadership. I'm not sure Kadri is the specific guy they should target but I'd say your premise and reasoning are pretty spot on.

He actually just showed up on two seperate articles as a top 5 candidate for a buyout this summer

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The price to add Skinner into a trade for Kadri would be huge. First you need the assets that get Kadri and then you need the assets to take Skinner. I guess Buffalo could eat two million a year to maintain what Skinners cap was but skinner is 7 million is still gonna cost assets. What is Buffalo offering for a trade based around Kadri for Skinner with 2 million retained?

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Skinner has a full NMC and has said several times in the past that playing close to family (he's from just outside Toronto) is his first priority.

He'll never waive to go to Calgary.

As far as Kadri in the abstract -- I'm 90% sure that Adams and Granato see Thompson and Cozens as their top 2 centers moving forward (even if there is a lot of discussion about Cozens being a Jeff Carter-type who can play wing as effectively as center (if not more)).......so, could Buffalo pay their top 3 centers ~$7M each? It's not impossible........but I don't see it as likely. At all.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Skinner has a full NMC and has said several times in the past that playing close to family (he's from just outside Toronto) is his first priority.

He'll never waive to go to Calgary.

As far as Kadri in the abstract -- I'm 90% sure that Adams and Granato see Thompson and Cozens as their top 2 centers moving forward (even if there is a lot of discussion about Cozens being a Jeff Carter-type who can play wing as effectively as center (if not more)).......so, could Buffalo pay their top 3 centers ~$7M each? It's not impossible........but I don't see it as likely. At all.

100% agree with the first part. I don't think 21m for a teams top 3 centers building a contender would be at all unreasonable. With the cap rising it's probably a bargain, especially talking all3 being top 6 calibre guys.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He actually just showed up on two seperate articles as a top 5 candidate for a buyout this summer

We've had a couple of months of conversation about it on the team board. If they're going to do it, it seems like the time is ripe.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Kadri is a good player and he'd definitely bring an element that Buffalo is lacking. The biggest hangup for me is the term left on that deal. How many good years does Kadri have left in him? 2 maybe 3? And then what? Buffalo is left with a 35 year old center making 7 million a season with multiple years of term on his deal. That doesn't sound so appealing when taking the long view.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
The price to add Skinner into a trade for Kadri would be huge. First you need the assets that get Kadri and then you need the assets to take Skinner. I guess Buffalo could eat two million a year to maintain what Skinners cap was but skinner is 7 million is still gonna cost assets. What is Buffalo offering for a trade based around Kadri for Skinner with 2 million retained?
If the Flames fully commit to a legit rebuild then futures become very valuable....I'm sure Buffalo could provide some futures in a package that is reasonable for both sides.....

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Buffalo has the youngest team in the league, if I recall hearing correctly....

A guy like Kadri should be a welcome addition in the immediate.

The problem is, as another poster mentioned, is the term on his deal... 5 full years left, and he turns 34 around opening night.

While he would be a welcome addition, they need to consider the division they're in right now.

Florida's core is all young.

Boston's important forwards are getting a little up there in age, but have an unreal goalie tandem, and certainly a long way to fall before getting into Buffalo's territory.

Toronto has some of the biggest stars in the game, who are still on the younger side.

Tampa maybe a team "ready to take a step back"; but hard to count out with Vasilevsky, Kucherov, Point and Hedman.

Ottawa & Detroit in quite similar situations to Buffalo, having really good young teams, with a ton of upside.

It would simialr to the Giroux signign in a way, except with teh Giroux signing, it was only a 3 year deal; so no real chance of him adversely impacting the cap when it really mattered.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Please no. I would hate that as a Leafs fan and it would also suck to see Kadri rot there for the rest of his years.

Reactions: Metroid

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Buffalo has the youngest team in the league, if I recall hearing correctly....

A guy like Kadri should be a welcome addition in the immediate.

The problem is, as another poster mentioned, is the term on his deal... 5 full years left, and he turns 34 around opening night.

While he would be a welcome addition, they need to consider the division they're in right now.

Florida's core is all young.

Boston's important forwards are getting a little up there in age, but have an unreal goalie tandem, and certainly a long way to fall before getting into Buffalo's territory.

Toronto has some of the biggest stars in the game, who are still on the younger side.

Tampa maybe a team "ready to take a step back"; but hard to count out with Vasilevsky, Kucherov, Point and Hedman.

Ottawa & Detroit in quite similar situations to Buffalo, having really good young teams, with a ton of upside.

It would simialr to the Giroux signign in a way, except with teh Giroux signing, it was only a 3 year deal; so no real chance of him adversely impacting the cap when it really mattered.
To be honest i don't think they should be worried about what anyone else in the division is doing.......At some point they have to take the next step and make the playoffs and a new leadership core is what they need to do that i think......

I understand the concern about the final years of the contract, but it's still worth it i think...

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Not a chance.

Someone still has to play top line centre for the Flames, they aren't going scorched earth 10 year rebuild. Skinner is a non starter, the last thing Calgary needs is another huge boat anchor contract. At least Kadri earns his cap hit and gives the paying fans something to cheer for. It would take a ridiculous add by Buffalo to make that deal palatable.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Not a chance.

Someone still has to play top line centre for the Flames, they aren't going scorched earth 10 year rebuild. Skinner is a non starter, the last thing Calgary needs is another huge boat anchor contract. At least Kadri earns his cap hit and gives the paying fans something to cheer for. It would take a ridiculous add by Buffalo to make that deal palatable.
Yeah but what's the alternative if they don't rebuild though ?

Their current situation has perpetual no man's land written all over it......

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I didn't say they won't rebuild, I said they won't go scorched Earth, trade everyone and suck for a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad