Proposal: Should Bruins pitch Babcock?

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Answer to everyone's problems: lol
John-Tortorella.jpg

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
No. CJ is not the problem. The roster is. Babcock wouldn't fair much better with an AHL caliber defensive squad.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What do you guys think? Im not just buying into the 'Fire Claude' nonsense but Babcock is a damn good coach and he loves Bergy..would be interesting to see his style in Boston.

I don`t think the Jacobs family would ever pay him what he reportedly was asking to coach

Not sure Babcock could have squeezed more out of the group being iced this year anyways

Babcock coaches more of a puck possession game which is great, but is easier said than done when you have a team with wheels who can actually keep the puck away from opponents....this Bruin team is beyond slow

Absolutely one of the best but not sure how much more he could do in Boston with what is available

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
No. CJ is not the problem. The roster is. Babcock wouldn't fair much better with an AHL caliber defensive squad.
I agree -- Babcock's a winner and I'm 100% sure he's not going to sign with whoever gives him the most money.

Either he wants to keep developing his team in Detroit because he wants to win a cup or two with them, or he goes to a team that he considers ready to contend immediately with his help. That's why teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Boston Bruins have no chance of landing him. The rosters are simply poor and unexciting, and coaching teams like that would only frustrate him, and in Toronto's case could even ruin his career. He'd get run out of town by the media just like every other coach because that franchise is hopeless.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree -- Babcock's a winner and I'm 100% sure he's not going to sign with whoever gives him the most money.

Either he wants to keep developing his team in Detroit because he wants to win a cup or two with them, or he goes to a team that he considers ready to contend immediately with his help. That's why teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Boston Bruins have no chance of landing him. The rosters are simply poor and unexciting, and coaching teams like that would only frustrate him, and in Toronto's case could even ruin his career. He'd get run out of town by the media just like every other coach because that franchise is hopeless.

as disappointing as this year is, with the proper aquisitions and/or off season moves, in the Eastern Conference, the B`s can realistically return to one of the top positions in the standings next year

The Leafs.........not so much

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I thought about making this thread earlier in the year when I heard Babcock was up for renewal , and I've never really thought CJ was the problem, but I figured if you're going to try something fresh it better be with a coach who's on CJ's level

Don't think Mike would come here, Detroits drafting and development system is superior and I think Babcock is comfortable where he is for a variety of reasons

In any case, I give our pair one more year to retool and make a go of it. They deserve another year after the success we have had, meanwhile start looking at candidates if the wheels fall off.

I think if they can retool and make the playoffs next year and make at least the eastern conference finals, then they will have redeemed themselves

If they fail to quailify or sputter out in the first or second round (barring significant injuries) then I think it's time to move on from PC and possibly Julien as well

My frustration also is that chara is getting older and while PC started to make the right moves to win now, he only went halfway after he signed Iginla. Trading Boychuk this year made that worse.

Chara is only going to be older next year and his planning around that has been subpar and worth a lot of scrutiny

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Of course they should. Every team in the league should...

However I HIGHLY doubt he leaves Detroit and Illitch would match hands down.

If he isn't leaving Det, and Det loves him, why isn't he signed.

I don't know if they've had negotiations or what, but if not, I'd be
pissed if I were him.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If they fire Claude, Babcock is obviously the best possible replacement.

I don't see Jacobs paying Claude to not coach for the next 3 years while paying the huge amount it'll take to get Babcock.

Julien is one of the best coach in the NHL. If you let Julien go, it is to get an upgrade. That upgrade will be costly.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Some team will offer a disgustingly high contract for him, and it sure as hell won't be the Bruins; it will be a real ailing team that has the cash to spend.

You mean Toronto? They've all but annointed him the coach...but he wont touch that if he knows what's good for him.

He'd do well in Boston.
However, I find Detroit and Boston to have pretty different styles.

Would the Boston fanbase, media and current players embrace Red Wing Hockey?

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Answer to everyone's problems: lol
John-Tortorella.jpg

This would be either the most epic self destruction ever or something absolutely incredible.

Torts likes hard nose hard working hockey. His problem is how he treats people. He'd probably rip on haggarty every chance he got and he tends to lose the room after about 1 year.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
as disappointing as this year is, with the proper aquisitions and/or off season moves, in the Eastern Conference, the B`s can realistically return to one of the top positions in the standings next year

The Leafs.........not so much

Sounds good but who's going to make those moves? I imagine your referring to Peter C.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
This.

I think Bylsma would be a serious fit.
Bylsma's awful, Julien completely outcoached him in that series and he doesn't hold players accountable.

I like Ron Wilson's aggressive forecheck but I can't get over how he feels about fighting and the physical game. Guys like Tortorella just don't work anymore.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Bylsma's awful, Julien completely outcoached him in that series and he doesn't hold players accountable.

I like Ron Wilson's aggressive forecheck but I can't get over how he feels about fighting and the physical game. Guys like Tortorella just don't work anymore.

Ron "Throw everyone under the bus" Wilson ?

No thanks.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Ron "Throw everyone under the bus" Wilson ?

No thanks.
I like the style he preaches, the way USA played in 2010 under him but not the rest of it. Claude's still my first choice.

There really isn't anyone that great available, otherwise they'd have jobs. If people really want Claude gone, that's the type of retread they'll be looking at.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
This would be either the most epic self destruction ever or something absolutely incredible.

Torts likes hard nose hard working hockey. His problem is how he treats people. He'd probably rip on haggarty every chance he got and he tends to lose the room after about 1 year.

Assuming our retool/build takes more than a year anyway, then that would sure make for a fun year!

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
I kind of want Cassidy to take over. Good record in Providence, and he would be very motivated to succeed. Might spark the guys more than we have seen.

Two votes, for the coach who is 125-68 last three seasons in Providence. The coach who embraces modern-style hockey.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Babcock doesn't like tough hockey. Then again, neither does Claude, it's probably a wash to be honest.

AprilMayandJune

Feb 26, 2012
wait. Don't we need to replace Julien with a French speaking coach ?:sarcasm:

as others have posted,Jacobs will not likely be paying 2 high end head coaches salaries next year. I think if Claude isn't coaching next season we will likely have a very low pay scale replacement...and I think,all considered Claude gets at least the better part of 1 more season,minimum.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
What's this about Babs wants more personnel control wherever he goes (wants to be more than just a coach)? This could turn a lot of teams off (except Toronto I guess)

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
2 things that complicate a lot of this:

If Babcock's available, I'd back the Brinks truck up to his doorstep and make it work. The extra playoff revenue alone would make his contract worth it. IMO, he's the best coach in the NHL and it's not close. However, he and CJ are pretty close. Given he'll have several options this offseason (TOR, PHI, SJ will all be pretty attractive for different reasons), will he take a job from the people who just blew out one of his friends?

However, in Detroit, they've got their "coach-in-waiting" in Jeff Blashill in Grand Rapids. He's considered the next NHL coaching star, he's won everywhere he's gone (won a USHL title with Torey Krug in Indianapolis, turned Western Michigan from an also-ran to an NCAA tourney team in one year, and has won a Calder Cup in GR and developed much of the very young roster the Wings have) ... it's basically, for the Wings, time to fish or cut bait with Blashill - do they continue to keep him stuffed away in the AHL, or do they promote him to the show? They can't keep holding him down forever, so they have to make the decision to either let Babcock go or promote Blashill, or let the rising star go and keep Babcock for a few more years.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

:nod:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
With all the clutching and holding Babcock's teams do combined with the B's propensity to get penalties called against them we would be on a perpetual penalty kill if he came here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00