Proposal: Should Bruins pitch Babcock?

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
What do you guys think? Im not just buying into the 'Fire Claude' nonsense but Babcock is a damn good coach and he loves Bergy..would be interesting to see his style in Boston.

Funny you should create this thread as I had been thinking about this very move today at work.

I think Babcock is the only real possibly available upgrade to Claude to be completely honest.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Of course they should. Every team in the league should...

However I HIGHLY doubt he leaves Detroit and Illitch would match hands down.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If they fire Claude, Babcock is obviously the best possible replacement.

I don't see Jacobs paying Claude to not coach for the next 3 years while paying the huge amount it'll take to get Babcock.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Some team will offer a disgustingly high contract for him, and it sure as hell won't be the Bruins; it will be a real ailing team that has the cash to spend.

Money isn't everything, im sure Mike is well off, I still hold faith that people covet success, especially when their pockets are already lined with cash. It would look great if he 'rescued' Boston after a poor season and took them on a cup run after a strong offseason of trades and drafting! (heres hoping anyway)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Red Wings are in a good situation and new arena being built.

Personally I think he is so close to Claude that he would never take his place.

The one job Babcock might consider is Toronto as the challenge of bringing Stanley to Yonge St has to intrigue him.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Probably not going to happen. Even if we miss the playoffs I doubt Julien is gone. But if he is let go, then obviously, yes. Try to get him.

I doubt Babock will even leave Detroit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What do you guys think? Im not just buying into the 'Fire Claude' nonsense but Babcock is a damn good coach and he loves Bergy..would be interesting to see his style in Boston.

YES,YES, YES!!!

I've said this before but we have money, go all in for Bab!

You look at their injury list and he still finds away to win, and that depth in the AHL they've created.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Definite upgrade on Julien, Babcock has more to offer then CJ and his vaunted defensive system, more well-rounded coach.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Red Wings are in a good situation and new arena being built.

Personally I think he is so close to Claude that he would never take his place.

The one job Babcock might consider is Toronto as the challenge of bringing Stanley to Yonge St has to intrigue him.

That makes a lot of sense, and besides the new arena; Detroit is rebuilding that whole city which I imagine he definitely has emotional ties too. The move to Toronto would make a lot of sense for someone like him, you're right.

But with that said I think it would be a great business move if Boston was to go all in for him. He is a hockey God. That would bring in the fans x10! Boston Bruins would probably get a lot more coverage than they already do. I mean just me wishing that he was our next coach has me drooling.

Can you imagine him being our/Bruins coach.. Crazy :)

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

I don't see Jacobs paying Claude to not coach for the next 3 years while paying the huge amount it'll take to get Babcock.

Good point. Claude I believe is slated to be in the top 5 in terms of coaches pay. If Babcock goes to free agency he will get a Gomez like contract (but produce better). Too much $

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Babcock is the antithesis of what the Bruins identity is. No thank you.

I'm not the biggest Claude fan but what you're seeing now is strictly a personnel issue.

Coors9

Jan 13, 2006
NF, Canada
Would Al Arbour have coached another team in the same era to cups ??? I wouldn't bet on it. Coaches are important, don't get me wrong, but talent inflates them a lot as well .

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The only long term replacement I can think of for Julien, but he clings to vets as well. One of the slowest systems for developing prospects is his.

But he better not turn us into the Red Wings, soft, euro, and full of interference.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
No thanks. Babcock is a good coach, but a bit overrated when compared to CJ. Some folks like to get on CJ for playoff performance. Babcock has not exactly been a world beater over the past five seasons. Losing to perennial playoff chokers SJ twice, Nashville, and got destroyed by a Boston team with crap for a defense last year. I think CJ is a better fit in Boston than Babcock. I want to see CJ get another year with hopefully better talent before thinking about letting him go. None of this is trying to say Babcock is not good, but I really think CJ is the best man for the job right now, despite some of his moments of insanity this year.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014

I highly doubt Claude would be without a coaching job for more than a half season. He's certainly better than Dallas Eakins, Adam Oates, Peter DeBoer, and even Bylsma & MacLean. There would be a buyer for him pretty quickly, and the Jacob's would be aware of this.

However, If Babcock is as friendly with CJ as I suspect, he'd likely be uninterested unless CJ was long gone. I'd be willing to talk to him & "test the waters", since I think things are getting stale here, but I doubt it would go anywhere.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Would Al Arbour have coached another team in the same era to cups ??? I wouldn't bet on it. Coaches are important, don't get me wrong, but talent inflates them a lot as well .

Scotty Bowman is perhaps the best coach in NHL history but he was also fortunate to have loaded teams at every stop except Buffalo. ( I don't count St Louis but he did lead the expansion Blues to the Final all 3 years he was there )

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00