Proposal: Should Bruins pitch Babcock?

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Scotty Bowman is perhaps the best coach in NHL history but he was also fortunate to have loaded teams at every stop except Buffalo. ( I don't count St Louis but he did lead the expansion Blues to the Final all 3 years he was there )

I have to rate Scotty as the greatest coach I have ever witnessed since following hockey 1969/1970 to date.
He was a genius behind every team he has coached even if most were loaded.
He knew how to out smart his oppositions and was not afraid to put the hammer down when needed and make the necessary changes to go long with it.
A man that knew how to build confidence and chemistry that he was part of.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Too much money? It doesn't apply to the cap. The highest paid coaches in any sport make a sliver compared to the players,

I know it doesn't count against the cap, but Babcock if he becomes a free agent will become by far the highest paid coach in the league. Plus Claude for another 3 years as a top 5 paid coach. I can't see the Jacobs spending more than double what any other team is on head coaches, he is still a business man. There is no cap on scout spending either and the Bruins are far from the biggest spender here.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If they fire Claude, Babcock is obviously the best possible replacement.

I don't see Jacobs paying Claude to not coach for the next 3 years while paying the huge amount it'll take to get Babcock.

This. Babcock will be easily the highest paid coach ever. His goal is to reset the market. The Bruins already paying Clode 3 mil to not coach the team means the tiny chance they would have of winning a bidding war against Detroit and Toronto is zero.

jdz

May 22, 2013
A bruins team that is told not to fight under any circumstance.

Wonder what the reaction to that would be.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
I would say keep Clod for the time as Chia has traded many good vets for new guys. I would give them both a season to right the ship before kicking them to the curb.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I kind of want Cassidy to take over. Good record in Providence, and he would be very motivated to succeed. Might spark the guys more than we have seen.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
He's the best coach in the league. But I don't think he's leaving Detroit. He also wants $5m a year I heard. Not sure Jacobs wants to go there.

I think Toronto is a more likely location for Babs, but I say he stays in Detroit unless TML throws something ludicrous on the table.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
I think Toronto is a more likely location for Babs, but I say he stays in Detroit unless TML throws something ludicrous on the table.

Agreed. He might be the only tenured, respected coach that wants that headache or is willing to do it. They certainly have the cash. Imagine 10 or 11 mil between a coach and a player who isn't even going to play again.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He's the best coach in the league. But I don't think he's leaving Detroit. He also wants $5m a year I heard. Not sure Jacobs wants to go there.

He also continued to play Cleary years after the guy was done rather than play their high end prospects. AKA it will be Julien 2.0, except an even softer strategy. That's me playing Devil's Advocate of course, he is a top coach.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Agreed. He might be the only tenured, respected coach that wants that headache or is willing to do it. They certainly have the cash. Imagine 10 or 11 mil between a coach and a player who isn't even going to play again.

Raise the offer further for him, like 7-10 million for Babs and you have a true nightmare on your payroll. I think Detroit would match up to the 7 million per year for him. Personally if I were TML I would look at the likely free TMac from San Jose or the Grand Rapids boss instead for that young and leaderless team.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
Raise the offer further for him, like 7-10 million for Babs and you have a true nightmare on your payroll. I think Detroit would match up to the 7 million per year for him. Personally if I were TML I would look at the likely free TMac from San Jose or the Grand Rapids boss instead for that young and leaderless team.

I think 7 is a tad of a stretch given he's around 2 mil at the moment. I wouldn't give Scotty Bowman a 350% raise. Plus that would inflate coaches salaries through the roof. But who knows, I doubt he leaves anyway.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
I think 7 is a tad of a stretch given he's around 2 mil at the moment. I wouldn't give Scotty Bowman a 350% raise. Plus that would inflate coaches salaries through the roof. But who knows, I doubt he leaves anyway.

I'm in agreement, just playing the Illich-game. He forks up when he has to. And to add insult to injury, even if Toronto would pay twice the wage he could be out the door before February. While in Detroit I suspect he has to kill someone to be dismissed.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
I think Bab wants at least two of these three things:

a. Highest paid coach all time (under the pretense of rising tides raise all ships in the coaching fraternity).

b. Player personnel control (both Claude and Pete's hats)

c. McDavid

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
It is odd that he has not been extended by Detroit by now where he has been a fixture. I think he is going to the open market.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is odd that he has not been extended by Detroit by now where he has been a fixture. I think he is going to the open market.

Most likely. McKenzie on NBC tonight said Philly may open the vault for him as Ed Snider wants to win another Cup in his lifetime.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I think Bab wants at least two of these three things:

a. Highest paid coach all time (under the pretense of rising tides raise all ships in the coaching fraternity).

b. Player personnel control (both Claude and Pete's hats)

c. McDavid

Alright..I have to...What makes you think he wants any of these?

Most of whats floating around none of these make sense..

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Claude is a better coach than Bylsma. Ask pens fans who they'd rather.

Bylsma's failing was not to raise his voice, just ask any Pen-fan. I personally am in favor of a coach that can go totally R. Lee Emery on the players once in a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00