Should Bergevin pull a Lou Lamoriello???

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
So let me get this straight, MT is 125-64-23 since he came back, made the playoffs all 3 seasons and you guys want him gone?

All this despite the fact that we aren't an elite team just yet!
Our window isn't open yet!!

We are a transition team!!

We don't have any talent!!

... Any other silly, blatantly incorrect arguments?

You don't think that a core of Pacioretty, Subban, PRICE, Markov, Plekanec, Gallagher, and Petry is a good enough? We're not an elite team despite having an elite trio of Pacioretty, Subban and fkn CAREY PRICE?!

What is this nonsense. :laugh:

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010

You don't think that a core of Pacioretty, Subban, PRICE, Markov, Plekanec, Gallagher, and Petry is a good enough? We're not an elite team despite having an elite trio of Pacioretty, Subban and fkn CAREY PRICE?!

What did LAK had when they won the cup? Let me tell you to refresh your poor memory

Their Elite trio was; Kopitar, Doughty and fkn JONATHAN QUICK.

But guess what, THAT'S NOT IT.. THERE'S MORE.. YES MORE

M. Gaborik
D. Brown
J. Carter
J. Williams
S. Voynov
T. Toffoli
T. Pearson
D. King

And so on.. But hey, we do have all these type of players right now huh? Yep!

Do I need to go back to 2013 with Chicago and tell you what their lineup was or you're good?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What did LAK had when they won the cup? Let me tell you to refresh your poor memory

Their Elite trio was; Kopitar, Doughty and fkn JONATHAN QUICK.

But guess what, THAT'S NOT IT.. THERE'S MORE.. YES MORE

M. Gaborik
D. Brown
J. Carter
J. Williams
S. Voynov
T. Toffoli
T. Pearson
D. King

And so on.. But hey, we do have all these type of players right now huh? Yep!

Do I need to go back to 2013 with Chicago and tell you what their lineup was or you're good?
Last year's LA:
Kopitar had 29g and 70pts
Carter had 27g and 50pts
Williams had 19g and 43pts
Richards had 11g and 41pts
Doughty had 10g and 37pts
Voynov had 4g and 34pts
King had 15g and 30pts
Toffoli had 12g and 29pts
Brown had 15g and 27pts
Stoll had 8g and 27pts
Gaborik had 5g and 16pts (in 19 games though, so he'd be like 1/2nd on the team)
And so on

In the playoffs Jake Muzzin and Tanner Pearson really stood up and Kopitar, Carter, Williams, Gaborik and Doughty took over.

Last year's MTL:

Pacioretty had 39g and 60pts
Subban had 10g and 53pts
Desharnais had 16g and 52pts
Plekanec had 20g and 43pts
Markov had 7g and 43pts
Gallagher had 19g and 41pts
Gionta had 18g and 40pts
Galchenyuk had 13g and 31pts
Eller had 12g and 26pts
Briere had 13g and 25pts
Emelin had 3g and 17pts
Bourque had 9g and 16pts
Vanek had 6g and 15pts in 18 games (ditto as above)

We scored a lot less in the playoffs because we played less games but Eller and Bourque overperformed and Vanek, Patches and DD underperformed to a degree.

The teams were very similar mate, you're overrating the Kings a bit. I would take them over the Habs in 7 games because they're a big, heavy team and they know how to win, but they're not a tier above us.

The 2010 Blackhawks are the only team that is a head and shoulder above every other recent cup winner. When the Bruins won they were worse than the modern Habs, and the 2013 Blackhawks were great but their PPG is similar to the modern Habs.

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
Last year's LA:
Kopitar had 29g and 70pts
Carter had 27g and 50pts
Williams had 19g and 43pts
Richards had 11g and 41pts
Doughty had 10g and 37pts
Voynov had 4g and 34pts
King had 15g and 30pts
Toffoli had 12g and 29pts
Brown had 15g and 27pts
Stoll had 8g and 27pts
Gaborik had 5g and 16pts (in 19 games though, so he'd be like 1/2nd on the team)
And so on

In the playoffs Jake Muzzin and Tanner Pearson really stood up and Kopitar, Carter, Williams, Gaborik and Doughty took over.

Last year's MTL:

Pacioretty had 39g and 60pts
Subban had 10g and 53pts
Desharnais had 16g and 52pts
Plekanec had 20g and 43pts
Markov had 7g and 43pts
Gallagher had 19g and 41pts
Gionta had 18g and 40pts
Galchenyuk had 13g and 31pts
Eller had 12g and 26pts
Briere had 13g and 25pts
Emelin had 3g and 17pts
Bourque had 9g and 16pts
Vanek had 6g and 15pts in 18 games (ditto as above)

We scored a lot less in the playoffs because we played less games but Eller and Bourque overperformed and Vanek, Patches and DD underperformed to a degree.

The teams were very similar mate, you're overrating the Kings a bit. I would take them over the Habs in 7 games because they're a big, heavy team and they know how to win, but they're not a tier above us.

The 2010 Blackhawks are the only team that is a head and shoulder above every other recent cup winner. When the Bruins won they were worse than the modern Habs, and the 2013 Blackhawks were great but their PPG is similar to the modern Habs.

I'm sure you watched the LAK games in the finals.. They were much better then what their stat represent.

I'm not saying MTL doesn't have a shot or anything like that. If anything, I want them to win the cup. But IMO we are missing some pieces. Hopefully our 3 key players stay healthy and who knows..

HabsDieHard*

Great posts Whiskey. Couldn't agree more.

This idea that there is some amazing future ignores the positives with the team right now.

In a few years when this team is apparently ready, Markov won't be a top 20 d-man anymore.

Plekx might not be an elite 2 way center anymore.

Price and Paciorettys' bargain deals will either be over, or coming to a close.

Galchenyuk/Gallagher will not be taking up like 2 million in cap space between them.

The list goes on and on.

This is not to imply that the Habs have a short iwndow and then will need to rebuild, quite the opposite in fact, they are well poisedto contend for the rest of the decade and beyond, with some fortune.

But this idea that the future offers any guarantees over today is misplaced, and quite frankly, wrong.

HabsDieHard*

LA was also down 3-0 in round 1 last year, and were it not for Vlasic missing the last 2 games and most of game 5 that series might have gone differently.

People ignore how much good fortune usually occurs when a team wins the cup.

Chicago won their first with Kane and Toews on bargain deals.

LA won their first, and had to use just 6 d-men through the whole playoffs.

Pittsburgh when tehy won had Malkin on his ELC still.

Boston had 3 game 7's when they won, and won one 1-0 and the other in double OT.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I'm just gonna say that this is, at best, a push poll

Basically the options are: he sucks, he doesn't suck but replace him, and he doesn't suck but da system works which is a thinly veiled dig so congrats, you have a poll which will tell you anything you want

So congratulation in that, that's impressive

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

The problem is we have a very, very good core.. but unlike last year we don't have as much offensive depth which was the reason we made it to two games away from the finals.

Vanek might have disappeared, but he was still a threat for other teams when he was on the ice. Having Bourque/Gio on our third line and Briere on our fourth gave us FOUR lines that were able to score.. the problem is now if our top 2 lines get shut down it is hard to believe that guys like Prust/Weise/DLR/Mitchell/DSP/Flynn/Malhotra will step up and score.

I'd say we 100% have an elite core.. but given how weak offensively our top 9 is overall, we aren't an elite team.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal

Basically the options are: he sucks, he doesn't suck but replace him, and he doesn't suck but da system works which is a thinly veiled dig so congrats, you have a poll which will tell you anything you want

Rationality has completely left these boards wherever Therrien, Desharnais and sometimes, Bergevin are the subject of discussion...

Last edited:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

Yeah, you basically either love the system, or want someone fired. No middle ground.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
This would require him to have "balls" in place of brains.

The fact that nearly 65 percent of the people here think this is a good idea really solidifies this as the stupidest fanbase at HF Boards.

The lunatic fringe has officially taken over.

So very few voices of reason like yours here that i'm glad you exist.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/JohnLuTSNMtl/status/585839446722875392

"John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl · 4m4 minutes ago
#Habs Subban describes his game as more "efficient" now. "I'm playing the best hockey of my career and (Therrien's) a big part of it."!"

lol

Last edited:

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
The thing with "Patient GM's".. is that it is hard to tell if they are actually patient.. or they are just clueless

I'm not sure that's true. Everybody in the media seems to have high praise for Bergevin, which is rare in the city of Montreal, and word goes around pretty fast if you're clueless, a la Tambellini/EDM regime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad