Should Bergevin pull a Lou Lamoriello???

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
His coaching may be suspect, but distracting the team while they get geared up for the playoffs is not a smart thing to do for this team. Fire him in the offseason if you get someone better.
Are you implying that Bergevin will actually fire the coaching staff he meticulously assembled and just recently gave monster extensions to?

FOUR-MORE-YEARS-PIC1.jpg

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I voted no...mind you I don't agree with "da system works" comment..but it's a completely inappropriate time to replace a coach who has his team first overall in their division with three game left in the season as much as Therrien frustrates pretty much everyone. Julien didn't have a four-year contract when he was let go either...and it's not like he never coached again..went on to win a Cup in Boston..kinda wish he'd never been fired in NJ.

I can well imagine how well that conversation would go between Molson and Bergevin.

Grant, what do you think Bergevin sees in Therrien right now? And do you think he sees the overuse of 51 like we all do?

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Are you implying that Bergevin will actually fire the coaching staff he meticulously assembled and just recently gave monster extensions to?

FOUR-MORE-YEARS-PIC1.jpg

I don't think he will. But he can. And those extentions were (even at the time) framed as rewards for dealing with the pressures of Montreal, so they are covered even if fired.

How many coaches finish their tenures in Montreal?

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I was told by MA Godin that Clem Jodoin is the one most responsible for the power play the past couple of season..and that would make sense. I would say the odds are pretty low that Lacroix came in and had the exact same PP philosophy as the team last year..that being that the club trots out set lines for the PP come hell or high water. there's no way that three consecutive hockey people could all have that same warped philosophy.

Clément Jodoin is not very good. Never liked him as a coach, to be honest. Reminds me of Gagnon, who used to coach junior. Thought highly of himself as a hockey 'teacher' but was disconnected from reality. I see Clément the same way.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't think he will. But he can. And those extentions were (even at the time) framed as rewards for dealing with the pressures of Montreal, so they are covered even if fired.

How many coaches finish their tenures in Montreal?
Bergevin has access to a lot more information than we do: how Therrien comports himself, how the other coaches interact, advanced analytic stats, etc.

With all that taken into account, Bergevin extended these guys for FOUR years - not a two-year bumper deal as a reward, but for the rest of Pacioretty and Price's primes. Four years.

Now, coming at it from another angle, think about Da Record and how we've fared in the most recent playoffs: pretty damn good.

Monster Extension + Da Record = No reason to fire Therrien.

And because of that, I'm going to enjoy watching games and not really break down and analyze plays or players because if our coach is going to be a mindless numbskull, and our GM is going to be a spineless, arrogant farce, I sure as hell won't give a damn and waste my energy on this team either.

Therrien is a bad tactician and Bergevin hasn't added a lick of talent to the team that the previous regime assembled. At this rate, our window will last until 2016 and then it's shut when Pleks and Markov leave.

And most of you folks will still defend Bergevin, because hey, at least Stubbs likes him and he's not vegan!

edit: I remember when he doled out the 4 year extension to Desharnais and you guys were saying it's a fair deal and DD's probably going to be traded when Chucky's ready. Now what's sadder: Chucky isn't ready or playing centre, DD is still here OR that Bergevin/Therrien prefers DD to Chucky?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
In reality firing MT now is absurd, but it would be satisfyingly dramatic.

Let him coach his ass off this PO. He is going into PO as a favorite, not an underdog, at least in round 1.

Let's see how the team responds.

This PO will answer ALL the questions.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Cut the language and culture crap. Last warning on the matter. Anyone accusing someone else of hating or liking a player because of a cultural/linguistic/ethnic matter will be infracted.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think it's more a reflection of the contempt that people have for Therrien's coaching. They'd rather see him fired now and maybe lose this year than be stuck with him for more seasons.

We FINALLY have superstar talent in our lineup who are in their prime. People don't want to see it wasted by a terrible coach...

It's a reflection of the lack of judgement of most people and nothing else.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Question 2 :

Would you accept an embarrassing first round exit if it means Therrien and his sidekicks are gone after ?

We are probably going to have one anyway:shakehead the team is playing very average right now, every month of the season we have been consistent except for March and April, we are in free fall, the 104 points we have is largely due to the talent on this team and Carey Price in particular. The results of this poll are quite telling, and I know this is just a hockey forum, but there are some good hockey minds on this site, and the fact people want him removed despite a great record says it all.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Not much point at this stage in the game. Damage is already done for this season. The league hasn't been this wide open re: potential champions in a long while, and who knows when it will be again. There are 10-12 teams who I wouldn't be surprised at all to see lift the Cup this year. Habs aren't one of them with the brand of hockey they play.

That's not to say I think they'd be favourites or anything under a different coach, but at least they'd have a chance beyond hoping Price channels Dominik Hasek.

A year wasted of the core's prime, a year wasted in an NHL lacking many truly elite teams.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Clément Jodoin is not very good. Never liked him as a coach, to be honest. Reminds me of Gagnon, who used to coach junior. Thought highly of himself as a hockey 'teacher' but was disconnected from reality. I see Clément the same way.

Based on Clement's PP he missed his calling as a goaltender coach. :nod:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
i am going back and fourth on this issue. I dont always like the style they play so I am pissed at MT, but then they win and I see the 104 points and I am happy. Also if they change the coach, no one knows if they would be as good under a new guy and new system.....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
i am going back and fourth on this issue. I dont always like the style they play so I am pissed at MT, but then they win and I see the 104 points and I am happy. Also if they change the coach, no one knows if they would be as good under a new guy and new system.....

When diehard fans are getting depressed at Habs games there is a HUGE problem.
It was NEVER about the points.
The points were used as a kneejerk defensive posture by MT's faithful.
Professional Sport is essentially a luxury. People have been flocking to events since Roman times in an effort to be amused and forget about the daily grind for a bit.

The fans footing the bill deserve better it's as simple as that.
Far too many of our games don't even feel like wins anymore.
It's like we simply outlasted the opponent.
Just trying to get away from the grind not watch more of it. :help:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Professional Sport is essentially a luxury. People have been flocking to events since Roman times in an effort to be amused and forget about the daily grind for a bit.

What you say is true, I'm not enjoying habs games since a long time, but then I watch other clubs and it's not better at all really.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Bergevin has access to a lot more information than we do: how Therrien comports himself, how the other coaches interact, advanced analytic stats, etc.

With all that taken into account, Bergevin extended these guys for FOUR years - not a two-year bumper deal as a reward, but for the rest of Pacioretty and Price's primes. Four years.

Now, coming at it from another angle, think about Da Record and how we've fared in the most recent playoffs: pretty damn good.

Monster Extension + Da Record = No reason to fire Therrien.

And because of that, I'm going to enjoy watching games and not really break down and analyze plays or players because if our coach is going to be a mindless numbskull, and our GM is going to be a spineless, arrogant farce, I sure as hell won't give a damn and waste my energy on this team either.

Therrien is a bad tactician and Bergevin hasn't added a lick of talent to the team that the previous regime assembled. At this rate, our window will last until 2016 and then it's shut when Pleks and Markov leave.

And most of you folks will still defend Bergevin, because hey, at least Stubbs likes him and he's not vegan!

edit: I remember when he doled out the 4 year extension to Desharnais and you guys were saying it's a fair deal and DD's probably going to be traded when Chucky's ready. Now what's sadder: Chucky isn't ready or playing centre, DD is still here OR that Bergevin/Therrien prefers DD to Chucky?

I do not disagree that he is unlikely to be fired. And I agree that it is as likely he gets fired now, than an asteroid hitting the earth.

I do see his tenure as being one that will not last 7 years, he will get another year. Beyond that ??????

As for DD. I am getting pretty tired of seeing him getting preferential treatment without providing the play that entails. Over 80% off zone starts, tons of time with Pacioretty. Top PP time. Why? Because MT likes him.

I do see a change coming. But it wont be this summer

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

ok so what you re saying is that you would rather have an exciting team instead of a team tht is sometimes boring.....even if they lose??

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
ok so what you re saying is that you would rather have an exciting team instead of a team tht is sometimes boring.....even if they lose??

I'm pretty sure we are more than just sometimes boring.
We have the makeup to be a far more entertaining club.
We have PK for Starters. :laugh:

i do believe we could play a more aggressive style with more movement by ALL 5 players in unison.
Chances are it would lead to more odd man rushes coming back and a few less points in the standings
but...
We have seen it as recently as last years PO's against Tampa.
We also saw a number of blatant errors because we hadn't played that way all year.
I wonder why we don't play that way all the time?
Is it more taxing than the mindless grind?
Not a chance anyone who has played hockey knows that for sure...

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009

My thoughts exactly.

You gotta ask yourself how many points we would have if Scotty Bowman or the Detroit group were coaching these same players. With the holes we have on the wing, at centre and back on D would we be the best in the league?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Can't believe how many people voted yes.

Winning is what counts - Therrien has won since becoming coach. He's doing so this year. You guys are crazy lol

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Can't believe how many people voted yes.

Winning is what counts - Therrien has won since becoming coach. He's doing so this year. You guys are crazy lol

Mmmmmm...
Maybe some of us aren't cut out for the Reg. Season anymore.
The difference in play between an Olympics, the Playoffs, and the reg season are so great it's mind boggling.
I can't think of another sport where the quality of play is so dramatically skewed fom season to playoff.

Nah what am I talking about fire his ass...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad