News Article: shopping right winger Nikolai Kulemin could resolve the situation.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why not keep lines from last year and put the new guys together?

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Raymond-Bolland-Clarkson
Colborne-Mcclement-Mclaren/Orr

Nvm didn't think it out much. Who would face top lines?

While I agree with your sentiment, Clarkson is likely unsuited to play a good defensive game, that's why NJ played him where they did. It isn't like he's a strong offensive player. Also, Clarkson on a retirement deal won't be playing 3rd. line.

dsf

Dec 7, 2009
Brampton
I'm sure the casual fanbase would be ecstatic at Kulemin being traded. He's so underappreciated among casual fans that it's almost depressing. The guy at Real Sports flat out laughed at me when I asked if they had any Kulemin jerseys.

kulemin3rd.jpg

Had to have them make me one!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's remarkable what bringing in a player on a PTO contract does to stir the pot in media land.

Kulemin, who is the longest serving player on the team and an example of how to bring a player along and fully utilize his total play. Mason Raymond isn't the 3rd line player that you need on a team, while Nik Kulemin is. Kulemin kills penalties much better and has much better size.

I like what Raymond can bring to a team, but he's too big of a tweener in my mind to make Kulemin expendable.

I'd say sign Kulemin to a 4 year contract @ 2.6 per year because you know exactly what you're going to get from him every shift.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's remarkable what bringing in a player on a PTO contract does to stir the pot in media land.

Kulemin, who is the longest serving player on the team and an example of how to bring a player along and fully utilize his total play. Mason Raymond isn't the 3rd line player that you need on a team, while Nik Kulemin is. Kulemin kills penalties much better and has much better size.

I like what Raymond can bring to a team, but he's too big of a tweener in my mind to make Kulemin expendable.

I'd say sign Kulemin to a 4 year contract @ 2.6 per year because you know exactly what you're going to get from him every shift.

I don't see Kulemin signing a deal like that.

That's why I'd move him.

There isn't going to be cap space with everyone else due a raise.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We screwed ourselves with him, trust me. Kule will be as good as gone for far less than what he is worth. The reality, he is better although different than Clarkson.

His best bud is Grabo, didn't WSH want him at one point? And Pits too.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I wanna keep Kule. He's easily our best defensive winger, a hard guy to replace. Moving him takes away a lot of size from our 3rd line. Not to disrespect Raymond, but he's not really as intimidating as Kulemin.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

That's why I'd move him.

I think the majority of players are going to get raises, but acting now is the smart move.

Kulemin and his agent are going to say that he scored 30 goals once, while the Leafs are going to say that he's an average 15 goal scorer. I don't think he should get more than 3 million though. He should get a comparable contract to Kyle Okposo who has scored more on an average than him and is younger.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Kulemin may not be the offensive forward we thought he was turning into but it doesnt mean hes worthless. One of the best defensive forwards on the team, plays the role he is given. Teams need players like him, and they pay as much as we do for players like him also, and more.

There is no logic to trading him unless it is a clear win trade. It would have to be for an established player, not for cap space.

With Kulemin we know what we have and we know what he's capable of. He is a player a championship team would have on it. Why are we trading him? go play nhl 14 if you enjoy constant turnover of players.

Grabovski is gone and i honestly think playing with him has been a deterrent to Kulemin the last couple years. so we'll see. If we have to trade a player like Kulemin to sign Raymond then the choice is simple, you dont sign Raymond.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
He'll probably be traded if he can't fit on the top six. Our bottom six should be largely comprised of EL guys. Heck, if we're going to imitate Chicago, we should be looking at skilled third and fourth lines. We have pretty good two-way guys in our system, and they really should be given a chance as well.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Trading Kulemin makes a lot of sense if you want to resign Franson. It is not Kulemin for Raymond, it is trade Kulimen and his 2.8M cap hit and replace him with Raymond at about a million and free up an extra 1.8M for Franson signing to go with the 1.9 that is available. Realistically you need to trade someone with a cap hit of close to 3M to do it. Kulemin is the only option. No one wants Liles, Carolina didn't opting to sign a UFA in Hainsey. Who else would could you trade in the 3M range, if you assume the top 6 are untouchable it is Kulie or Bolland.

Posters who say that Smith and Holzer won't be on the roster, you need them as they are inexpensive injury replacements. Assume that they are sent down(maybe claimed on waivers) and their 1.3 in cap space and the 19m left are used to sign Franson, you have a 21 man roster on opening day. Now assume tomorrow is opening day and Orr and Lupul can't play due to their nagging injuries. You will be dressing only 19 for opening night as neither Lupul or Orr's injuries qualify them for LTIR and there is no cap space to call someone up.

Either Franson does not get signed or someone like Kulemin gets moved. he is the only real option unless you move someone signed or acquired this summer or Lupul. The first lecture in Cap management 101 What you do on July 1st or (5th this year) will have implication on October 1st.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kulemin may not be the offensive forward we thought he was turning into but it doesnt mean hes worthless. One of the best defensive forwards on the team, plays the role he is given. Teams need players like him, and they pay as much as we do for players like him also, and more.

There is no logic to trading him unless it is a clear win trade. It would have to be for an established player, not for cap space.

With Kulemin we know what we have and we know what he's capable of. He is a player a championship team would have on it. Why are we trading him? go play nhl 14 if you enjoy constant turnover of players.

Grabovski is gone and i honestly think playing with him has been a deterrent to Kulemin the last couple years. so we'll see. If we have to trade a player like Kulemin to sign Raymond then the choice is simple, you dont sign Raymond.

Give him the PP time that Clarkson does and he probably outperforms Clarkson, but that isn't going to happen after Nonis overpays dramatically for the UFA.

Clarkson is getting a free ride, Kulemin won't.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They didn't bring Raymond in to replace Kulemin.

I like Kulemin where he is, cap and rosterwise. Trading a quality player who can skate and doesn't make a ton of money isn't a good idea.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
are you guys serious?

Kule is so damn important to our team... am i the only one who watched leafs games last year?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Except we know from years and years and years and years and years and years of watching preseason that it usually means nothing when it comes to player evaluations and competitions until the games get real and they're playing against NHL players and not prospects and career minor leaguers.

If Biggs has a better camp and makes the team and then cant perform up to expectations he can be sent down and the Marlie prospect that most deserves a call up should get it.

Or should they just pick the guy who has been with the Marlies the longest at that point too?

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
wouldn't take 2 Clarkson over 1 Kulemin.

Hope he gets traded to Pittsburg to play with Malkin, 30g+ with lights out defense.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Philly was willing to do Kulemin + Kadri for Richards back when Kadri was still in junior. He's had value all throughout his career, and I still think he'd be a sought after commodity at the deadline IF one of our younger guys prove capable of replacing his production.

As long as he fills his role, they'll keep him on the team. If not, make a package around him+Gunnar at the deadline for a legit #2D.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Blanket statements are so ridiculous.

As always, it depends on the return.

Read the OP. It sounds like picks or something along those lines because they have Toronto freeing up his entire salary with nothing coming back. at best I could maybe see a second and he's worth so much more then that to Toronto then a second pick. So I am in agreement with the blanket statements and it would be stupid to trade Nikolai.

ForSpareParts*

Read the OP. It sounds like picks or something along those lines because they have Toronto freeing up his entire salary with nothing coming back. at best I could maybe see a second and he's worth so much more then that to Toronto then a second pick. So I am in agreement with the blanket statements and it would be stupid to trade Nikolai.

if he's worth more wouldn't we get more. not every GM is going to be trading with us at an advantage. it's not like we're moving Liles to make room. We're moving a player that does have some value.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
if he's worth more wouldn't we get more. not every GM is going to be trading with us at an advantage. it's not like we're moving Liles to make room. We're moving a player that does have some value.
We could get a good return for him. He is a top six forward that is being underutilised in Toronto. I am pretty certain Kulemin knows that and will likely leave when his contract expires.

He's easily a $4 million dollar forward if back to his 25-30 goal form.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

That's why I'd move him.

Exactly. The ones who love Kulemin and don't want to move him for anything,
want to offer him less than he's making now. Not gonna happen
And what if you sign him now but someone like Ashton plays and outperforms him? Not good asset management
Kulemin is a good player, but I don't get all the hype about him here. Wasn't long ago people were asking where he disappeared to (yes I realize he faced a tragic event in his life)

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Better start preparing yourself because I dont see any way hes here next season.

I don't think its crazy to think he's not here next season, he'll need a raise, i don't se it being an outrageous number... it should be less than 4mill... providing he doesn't go score 30 goals again.

But even if we lose him after the year, I still think this is an important development year for some guys in our system. Whether its Biggs, McKegg or Leivo, hopefully they're groomed well this year to take over Kulie's role in the years to come. Thats something that good organizations are able to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad