News Article: shopping right winger Nikolai Kulemin could resolve the situation.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
The price to keep him will probably be 2nd line money. Yet he will be on the 3rd line on our team unless injuries. Considering we have a lot of prospects projected to be these 3rd line type, it may be cost effective and better for the team if we trade him, replacing him with a cheap rookie, allowing us to spend more money on other quality players.

Not saying I'm a fan of trading him, would want to see the return before I say I like the idea of it.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO

not a bad idea, I think he will be playing in Russia next year.
I don't think he will have a good year this year, losing his buddy grabo, not able to speak English and hangout with anybody. (depressed):)

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Kulemin is essential to the depth of the team. Him and Bolland on the 3rd line looks like a fantastic fit on paper. Throwing McClement for the odd shift on the other wing creates a VERY strong defensive line.

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
I can't believe how much everyone here likes an average defensive forward he's easily replaced with mcclement taking his spot and Colborne taking mcclement then we can sign our actual defenseman... Ill really miss his one move he have , deek left then right and shoot

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
I can see it happening. I think he'll sign elsewhere next summer. Might as well get something for him.
This is pretty much how I feel.

I would be surprised if he stuck around after this year, our top 6 wingers are pretty much decided for the foreseeable future, leaving Kulemin to the 3rd line, a role I'm not sure he's very content having.

I'd hate to trade him but it makes sense if that is the case.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Kulemin is very important to this team although we'll have trouble extending him with so much money tied up in our wingers.

Better chance that Franson whose tried to play hard ball with the team twice in negotiations gets moved than Kuli. We've got a healthy Gardiner who will need PP time this year, Ranger played the PP in Tampa and Liles was a top PP QB for nearly a decade.

The team also signed TJ Brennan as project offensive Dman whose to good for the AHL.

D is also where our best prospects are in terms of high end talent and depth with Rielly, Percy, Finn all having an offensive side to their game.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Why trade Kulemin, there's also the problem of having 8 defenseman if you move a forward to sign Franson.

I assume they're talking about for futures as well.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
no need to trade him.

Franson's signing for $2m. Only question is whether it's 1 or 2yrs.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Kulemin better than Liles.

I would hang on to Kulemin until trade deadline to prove himself. If Franson resigns there is no way I would keep Liles. We have more than enough Offense from the D, especially if Reilly impresses.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
You win with players like Kulemin. You win with players like McClement. You win with players like Bolland.

Put them together and you have what looks to be an excellent 3rd line. Why would we ruin that? The cap is going up next year up.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Good to see that the sky is once again falling the day after the Kadri signing.

Okay, seriously now. How is Kulemin some core part of this team? He's a pretty solid third liner, but his scoring touch is gone, and he'll be in line for a big raise next year to the $4 million range. You can guarantee that's what his agent will be asking, giving the 30-goal year and his length of service to the team. And he ain't worth that. If the Leafs can get a deal done now, they'd be wise to do it.

All that said, I'd much rather get rid of Liles right now.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I'm certain that Carlyle would oppose any Kulemin trade vehemently. He plays him in every critical situation.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Kulemin is just as important as McClement. I don't think his 30 goal season from 3 years ago should have any impact on his up coming contract. I think he should get a slight raise, nothing more, but he's part of this core.

ForSpareParts*

Trade Proposal/Value of Kulemin

what could we get in return for him?

∆ 1 year on his deal left
∆ could help a team who needs a defensive forward
∆ can play the 2nd line although hasn't been so great at that role in the last few seasons
∆ low cap hit
∆ can play the PK

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Depends on the return but that would not be the third line. It would be:

Raymond - Bolland - McClement
McLaren - Colborne - Orr

Still terrible. Might just be that I'm a fan of this thing called "Depth Scoring".

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Yeah we kind of blew all that this offseason.

That honestly bothers me more than anything else. Lord have mercy on us if Kessel goes on one of his bad stretches when someone like Lupul is injured.

If only we bought out JML and re-signed Cmac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad