News Article: shopping right winger Nikolai Kulemin could resolve the situation.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The price to keep him will probably be 2nd line money. Yet he will be on the 3rd line on our team unless injuries. Considering we have a lot of prospects projected to be these 3rd line type, it may be cost effective and better for the team if we trade him, replacing him with a cheap rookie, allowing us to spend more money on other quality players.

Not saying I'm a fan of trading him, would want to see the return before I say I like the idea of it.

Agreed!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The price to keep him will probably be 2nd line money. Yet he will be on the 3rd line on our team unless injuries. Considering we have a lot of prospects projected to be these 3rd line type, it may be cost effective and better for the team if we trade him, replacing him with a cheap rookie, allowing us to spend more money on other quality players.

Not saying I'm a fan of trading him, would want to see the return before I say I like the idea of it.

Also agree.

Leafs have already paid dearly to have a 3rd. liner play in the top 6, and in a cap system you can only have so many horrible contracts.

I suspect Kulemin could easily put up more points if they played him on the PP, but Carlyle isn't about to do that.

There is no reason for Kulemin to sign a contract beyond this year to be under utilized, under appreciated, and underpaid.

They should be looking to move him to a team that is going to going to hand him prime minutes on the PP, playing with top 6 forwards, and part of the deal should include a conditional pick if he re-signs.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Damn a third line of

Raymond-Bolland-Colborne. That's honestly one of the worst 3rd lines in the league IMO, it honestly has no identity.

Agreed. A line of Raymond-Bolland-Kuli looks quite nice though.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm probably the only one who wants to see our 3rd line look like:

Kulemin - Bolland - Biggs

Why not:

D'Amigo - Bolland - Biggs

D'Amigo would bring the Raymond speed and he's already in the system and been groomed as a defensive forward. Kind of got the Kulemin treatment in the AHL by Eakins. Hopefully, not too much damage.

MrPiff17

Bay St. Bullies
Feb 22, 2009
the 416
Why not:

D'Amigo - Bolland - Biggs

D'Amigo would bring the Raymond speed and he's already in the system and been groomed as a defensive forward. Kind of got the Kulemin treatment in the AHL by Eakins. Hopefully, not too much damage.

Mainly because I feel like having two rookies on the 3rd line is a mistake, especially if we think we can contend.

We know what we have in Kulemin, if he can play the way he did towards the end of the season, and combine that with what we know Bolland brings to the table, adding Biggs with his size and all around game can be great to that line. I feel like if Biggs has two hard working vets on his line, he will improve, a lot.

All three players can skate, they can be physical, they all go to the net, they can all chip in goals, none of them are afraid to go into corners, they can all move the puck decently, and they can all play in their own zone.

Good mix of size, speed, and grit.

I just like the idea, that's all.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Mainly because I feel like having two rookies on the 3rd line is a mistake, especially if we think we can contend.

We know what we have in Kulemin, if he can play the way he did towards the end of the season, and combine that with what we know Bolland brings to the table, adding Biggs with his size and all around game can be great to that line.

All three players can skate, they can be physical, they all go to the net, they can all chip in goals, none of them are afraid to go into corners, they can all move the puck decently, and they can all play in their own zone.

Good mix of size, speed, and grit.

I just like the idea, that's all.

I'd switch up D'Amigo for Biggs then.

Biggs has no professional experience, and really hasn't proven anything beyond junior, where he was just okay.

It would be nice if they rewarded players who have paid their dues, and Biggs IMO hasn't.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
McClement-Bolland-Kulemin looks even better.

I like that line a lot. I would probably play Bolland on the wing and McClement in the middle, but that's a line you can use to match-up against every other team's top line and give easier match-ups to our scoring lines.

ForSpareParts*

Also agree.

Leafs have already paid dearly to have a 3rd. liner play in the top 6, and in a cap system you can only have so many horrible contracts.

I suspect Kulemin could easily put up more points if they played him on the PP, but Carlyle isn't about to do that.

There is no reason for Kulemin to sign a contract beyond this year to be under utilized, under appreciated, and underpaid.

They should be looking to move him to a team that is going to going to hand him prime minutes on the PP, playing with top 6 forwards, and part of the deal should include a conditional pick if he re-signs.

Yeah good post.

I can't say I don't appreciate him as a leaf. He has given the team a lot of effort for the most part.

If Nonis is going to bring in prospects why not give their opportunity on the 3rd line. Bolland would be a good compliment for any young winger.

Also In no way am I saying that Mason Raymond is the answer.

MrPiff17

Bay St. Bullies
Feb 22, 2009
the 416

Biggs has no professional experience, and really hasn't proven anything beyond junior, where he was just okay.

It would be nice if they rewarded players who have paid their dues, and Biggs IMO hasn't.

Fair opinion. But that's what camp is for, Biggs can win a spot over D'Amigo, and vice-versa. Reilly hasn't paid his dues, but he has a chance to win a spot over some players if he has a good camp.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm sure the casual fanbase would be ecstatic at Kulemin being traded. He's so underappreciated among casual fans that it's almost depressing. The guy at Real Sports flat out laughed at me when I asked if they had any Kulemin jerseys.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

When it comes down to the last few open spots it would be nice if the players that that play the best in camp get them.
I dont care who has been with the team the longest the players that earn the spots should get them.

IMO D'amigo or Ashton will have a better chance of making the team because they are more developed and their experience will help them perform better but if they cant out perform Biggs they shouldn't get a spot ahead of Biggs.

ForSpareParts*

I'm sure the casual fanbase would be ecstatic at Kulemin being traded. He's so underappreciated among casual fans that it's almost depressing. The guy at Real Sports flat out laughed at me when I asked if they had any Kulemin jerseys.

Thinly valed jab of the year/post of the year nominee.

LO L!

SteveV*

Shopping Kuli is foolish. People forget, apart from McClement I'd say Kuli was our best PK player last year. The guy does everything, he's a keeper. Trade Franson, we have depth on D and he's expendable long term. With Gardiner, Reilly, Phaneuf, there won't be much room for his skills on the PP soon anyways, play to your strengths, we can afford lose Franson more than Kuli.

ForSpareParts*

Edmonton could use him. I wonder who we could get in return.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
I think he gets moved. Hard to have 2 guys on the 3rd line making in Bollands case over 3 million and in Niks case close to that in a reduced cap world. Franson as a Top 4 Dman is much more important that a 3rd line winger. I honestly believe D'Amigo can replace him.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Sorry but Kulemin is way too valuable to this team and Carlyle LOVES him...

Trading him is TAKING A BACKWARDS STEP, you need players like him to contend for the cup... Kulemin knows his role and he plays it EXTREMELY well..

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I would trade Franson before I traded Kulie.

I think Kulies got more value in this org, and will warrant a smaller contract than Franson while providing more impact.

Part of that has to do with our system depth at D rather than wing. I'd be more comfortable getting offense from a Liles/Rielly combo instead of Franson, rather than plugging in Raymond or damigo or Ashton for Kulemin

darty

Dec 1, 2008
I really really really hope we keep Kuli. He's not flashy, but his work ethic alone makes him worth keeping around. The guy's a horse and one of my favourites on this team.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Why not keep lines from last year and put the new guys together?

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Raymond-Bolland-Clarkson
Colborne-Mcclement-Mclaren/Orr

Nvm didn't think it out much. Who would face top lines?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
When it comes down to the last few open spots it would be nice if the players that that play the best in camp get them.
I dont care who has been with the team the longest the players that earn the spots should get them.

IMO D'amigo or Ashton will have a better chance of making the team because they are more developed and their experience will help them perform better but if they cant out perform Biggs they shouldn't get a spot ahead of Biggs.

Except we know from years and years and years and years and years and years of watching preseason that it usually means nothing when it comes to player evaluations and competitions until the games get real and they're playing against NHL players and not prospects and career minor leaguers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad