Post-Game Talk: Shootout Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
They're making the playoffs.
That would probably be the worst thing to happen to this team at this point in the franchise. A higher draft pick (possibly 2 1st's if they trade Vanek) and an actual rebuild is much more needed as opposed to extending a meaningless playoff streak, just to yet again get embarrassed with another first round exit.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That would probably be the worst thing to happen to this team at this point in the franchise. A higher draft pick (possibly 2 1st's if they trade Vanek) and an actual rebuild is much more needed as opposed to extending a meaningless playoff streak, just to yet again get embarrassed with another first round exit.

Given this draft, it definitely isn't the worst thing. Outside of the top 4, the next couple tiers are worthy of being mid-round picks in any other draft.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Are the Wings about to become a three line team?

Peter made a huge contribution to bring them back. His best in a while. He was truly excited.Hopefully that game takes his head back to where it was last year.

Larkin and Gus really looked good together for the first time.

Z was a BEAST. still amazing

When a team is making a push early I would rather see them just clear the zone.

I hate it when they play "was that my man" on D.

The Bears still hate TV. He always hurts them somehow , even on off days like last night.The minute Tuuuka starts to go with him to the other post he takes Frans off the option list and makes the back hand pass to AA on the weak side open net. AA is learning a lot playing with Frans and TV. Thats the strongest argument for keeping guys like Frans, Z and TV. If they can teach the game they play in their head to the young talent the world prospers. They are so rare. Too bad they have to make the trade.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Actually it is not the case. Playoff streak is great. Holland, Ilitch, the players, blashill want to keep it going. Setting up the playoffs streak record is as big as winning the cup. Not as pretty and exciting, yet very big.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Good win. Will the Wings make the Playoffs? I am not sure, I hope they do. I would like the streak to continue. The Wings should try and upgrade their D. Trade someone they don't want to. If they can get someone who is a 1 or 2 than this team may make it out of the first round. I like the Vanek and Frans signings. Green was also a good one. DK not so much. As for a rebuild, you don't do that until Z retires or is too injured to make a contribution. Mantha and AA are doing good, Gus needs to continue his play and Tatr needs to fix his injured shoulder. Abdelkader was not a good signing. Maybe he will start picking up his scoring and hitting. He needs to learn to fight. Once Helm gets back waive miller or Ott and keep AA and Mantha up. Sit Riley for more than one game. I know he brings size but no aggressiveness in either zone. He has a pretty good shot, he needs to use it more.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Actually it is not the case. Playoff streak is great. Holland, Ilitch, the players, blashill want to keep it going. Setting up the playoffs streak record is as big as winning the cup. Not as pretty and exciting, yet very big.

At this point I'd be much more ashamed of continuing the streak than anything.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

No it is not. It is cheap marketing from an organization that cannot currently compete for the cup.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
At this point I'd be much more ashamed of continuing the streak than anything.

I don't think there's any shame in continuing the streak. The larger issue is it continues to push back the inevitable reckoning that will happen at some point. Our best forward is Vanek and he's a UFA after this season. He should be traded but he won't. Mike Green is our best d-man and he has one year remaining on his deal. He should be traded as well.

If you sign them to crippling deals along with the deals for Howie, Abby, Helm, Z, etc it ties up a lot of cap money on a team that is fighting for it's life to stay out of the basement of the conference. The worst case scenario would be to lose them for nothing and have the team crater.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Apparently Blashill let the boys have it during the 1st intermission.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/01/jeff_blashill_blasts_red_wings.html#incart_river_index

Blashill wouldn't get into specifics as to what was said but the players confirmed he was angry.

"Win battles, I mean just win battles," was Blashill's intermission message. "I thought we got out-battled all over the ice. I thought we needed to skate and win battles, that's it. One-hundred percent win battles and I thought we came out in the second and won skating races and skating battles and puck battles.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Oullet and Abdelkader were throwing their weight around. Oullet isn't afraid to hit. His charging/interference penalty was fine by me. I like to see that kind of edge

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Incredible game. Incredible effort. Amazing drama and tension. No doubt the season was on the line, some super human performances.

What a leader and captain we have. An all-time great.

Gutsy effort by Nyquist and Blashill. They would've been far an away the biggest goats of that game.

Blashill inexplicably reverts the d combos going into the game, we go down 3-0. Nyquist lost his man following 40 around twice, resulting in 2 goals.

And in the end Nyquist has his stick down for the tie, on a desperate hunch line combo from Blashill with 3:30 to go. Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, with the season on the line.

I really love this part of sports, I have been so frustrated by the performance of those two, as I'm sure they have, and just one night/turn of events gives them the opportunity to redeem themselves going forward.

Same thing for Mrazek, nothing going for him, the loss to TB still lingering, and he steps up at the most critical moment.

How bout that 160 ft play by Larkin to get the ball rolling?

Wish I could've been at the Joe, that overtime was out of this world. Hope some of you can bust out of your fan funk and have some fun rooting for this team for the next little bit, instead of pretending like you can just fast forward to the draft.

Efforts like last night can be really inspiring.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Oullet and Abdelkader were throwing their weight around. Oullet isn't afraid to hit. His charging/interference penalty was fine by me. I like to see that kind of edge

For sure. That's such a weak play and call. 2 minutes or not, new nhl or not, if your only play is to chip it past the d, you deserve to take a seat, not get rewarded with a pp.

Outstanding poise by Oullet offensively as well. He was the backbone of that tying goal, much like Smith on new years.

Nice to see Abdelkader winning a bunch of pucks. We need him in the top 9 asap.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
No it is not. It is cheap marketing from an organization that cannot currently compete for the cup.

A team wins a Stanley Cup every single year.

Only 4 teams in the history of hockey have EVER achieved a playoff streak this long.

Revisit the thought 50 years from now how important an individual Cup win was, versus how important one of the longest playoff streaks of all time (especially during the start of forced parity) was.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
A team wins a Stanley Cup every single year.

Only 4 teams in the history of hockey have EVER achieved a playoff streak this long.

Revisit the thought 50 years from now how important an individual Cup win was, versus how important one of the longest playoff streaks of all time (especially during the start of forced parity) was.

Really? So you'd rather extend a streak than win the Cup? Okay. I mean that's a legitimate position. I think you just can't also claim that you want the team to be competitive.

Also, only 3 teams in history have won double digit cups. Only 1 team has more than 20. Isn't that also a record that you want match or break? I don't know why the streak would be so alluring to people. Literally more than 50% of the teams make it every year. It's not some amazing accomplishment. The Cup on the other hand is one of the hardest trophies in all of sports to win.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
I don't think there's any shame in continuing the streak. The larger issue is it continues to push back the inevitable reckoning that will happen at some point. Our best forward is Vanek and he's a UFA after this season. He should be traded but he won't. Mike Green is our best d-man and he has one year remaining on his deal. He should be traded as well.

If you sign them to crippling deals along with the deals for Howie, Abby, Helm, Z, etc it ties up a lot of cap money on a team that is fighting for it's life to stay out of the basement of the conference. The worst case scenario would be to lose them for nothing and have the team crater.

+1

If we somehow manage to squeeze into playoffs, Holland (and Blashill) will 100% stay. No playoffs = only chance for change.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Really? So you'd rather extend a streak than win the Cup? Okay. I mean that's a legitimate position. I think you just can't also claim that you want the team to be competitive.

Also, only 3 teams in history have won double digit cups. Only 1 team has more than 20. Isn't that also a record that you want match or break? I don't know why the streak would be so alluring to people. Literally more than 50% of the teams make it every year. It's not some amazing accomplishment. The Cup on the other hand is one of the hardest trophies in all of sports to win.

First of all, I think that's a ridiculous duality. Of course I want to win the Cup. Every single year I hope to win a Cup. But at the exact same time, I hope to make the playoffs every single year. I hope for wins. Always. End of story.

I disagree with the prevailing opinion people around here have that "a bubble team will necessarily stay a bubble team forever" and "a tanking team will necessarily win a Cup in a few years". 29 teams lose every year. Some of the teams had the wrong idea all along. Others had a very good plan and a very good execution, but they still had to lose because only one team can win. A lot of **** happens, and you absolutely cannot simplify to "mediocrity leads to mediocrity; tank leads to good".

I am not naive, I know we have a very very low chance of making the playoffs this year, and an even lower chance of winning the Cup. But I see this same team in an alternate universe having the same plan but a much better outcome. Maybe not winning this year, but maybe holding the streak for 3 more years followed by another Cup in 2020 or 2021. If our coaching didn't disappoint, if our goaltending didn't disappoint, if every single one of our defensive draft picks didn't disappoint. If we landed Suter or someone else. If if if. There are a lot of ifs, but they are realistic ifs. I feel that they are more realistic than the idea that all we need to do is play bad on purpose for a few minutes and all of a sudden we will have McDavid and win another 4 Cups.

This is a lot of ranting and it's a complex subject but the main takeaway is that there are no guarantees in a 30 team parity league, so I choose to support winning 100% of the time. I'm never going to waste my time worrying about going up 1 space in the draft, I'd rather win 1 more game regardless of its effect on the season and just hope whatever draft pick we do end up with pans out.

So to shorten my answer: I'd rather extend the playoff streak AND win a Cup, and that's how I do DRW fandom.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I'm glad the fans got to see a nice little 3 game winning streak at the Joe, even if it screws up the tank. The players and fans were really into after the 1st. You could tell by how they were hitting and celebrating that it means a lot to the players, there was a playoff like intensity to their game.

Problem is, we need to keep that kind of intensity to overcome our lack of talent, and its just not possible to play that hard every night from Jan till April.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
I want to watch more Red Wings hockey - if we make the playoffs I get to watch more Red Wings hockey. We should make the playoffs.

This team has the parts to be a good team, just got to put it all together somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad