Online Series: Shogun (D+ and FX Feb 2024)

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Speaking of Game of Thrones, we saw what happened once the writers of that show ran out of source material to adapt and had to start writing the story, themselves. Maybe it's best that this series ends where the novel ends and they don't try to write a sequel that Clavell, himself, seemingly didn't feel was necessary.
If only Amazon had followed that advice with LotR.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
That's true. Again, it's meant more as a compliment. This feels like peak Game of Thrones minus dragons and a European medieval setting.
That was pretty much what Kojima said. His praise was what ultimately got me into the show.

Hideo Kojima said:
The scale, details, cast, costumes, sets, props, and VFX are all top-notch, and it is no exaggeration to say that this is a "Game of Thrones" set in 17th century Japan.

Reactions: HanSolo

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Best episode yet imo. This one really drove home the cultural differences. Some amazing emotional scenes. Idk how this show just keeps getting better. I'm actually furious it's only going to be one season.

Reactions: Sad People

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Best show on television right now.

On a side note, Cosmo Jarvis sounds exactly like Frasier Crane when he yells

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Question invovling a spoiler.

Anyone else think Marikos husband is a bit sus because he survived the attack in Osaka?

Fuji my new favourite character and the actress is killing it! Expresses so much in body language and facial expressions.
I still like Mariko but Toranagas secret samauri could be a good character here soon, atleast thats the impression i got during his scene where he was introduced

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched the latest episode and continue to love this show. I think that it's largely because, to paraphrase something that I read elsewhere, it hooks you with immersion, not spectacle, and respects your intelligence with limited exposition.

Anyone else think Marikos husband is a bit sus because he survived the attack in Osaka?
I had the same thought. He survived when he shouldn't have, returned to a wife that he resents, is putting up with living in the house of a "barbarian" and even apologized to him to keep staying there, despite detesting him. It could just be because it's what Toranaga wants, but it'd also make sense if he's a spy.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Really good at the halfway point.

I think the actors playing Yabushige and Ochiba have a real stage presence style of acting of like James Spader and I enjoy that.

The actor playing Fuji has done a really good job with her emotive face as she tries to navigate her situation. She won me over in Episode 4 and continued that strong performance into Episode 5.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
This show continues to get better and better. The writing and acting are phenomenal. The Japanese actors portray such an incredible amount of emotion and layered meaning in their facial expressions. The pacing and development of all of the characters is engaging and makes for the perfect slow burning sequence of events. I love how Blackthorne's character is doing his best to assimilate to this wildly foreign culture while maintaining and upholding his own sense or morality.

I think the writers do an excellent job of diving into the tradition of dutiful service over individual autonomy, especially as it pertains to the women. Mariko and Fuji are both tragically imprisoned by their duties and have had to endure such loss and sadness while maintaining a strong facade and serving those they're duty-bound to.

Reactions: montreal

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the writers do an excellent job of diving into the tradition of dutiful service over individual autonomy, especially as it pertains to the women. Mariko and Fuji are both tragically imprisoned by their duties and have had to endure such loss and sadness while maintaining a strong facade and serving those they're duty-bound to.

Mariko does a good job of explaining how Blackthorne's self-centered freedom without responsibility or duty is similarly empty.

At this stage, his quest to open up the Japans is really more about satisfying his own need for adventure, acknowledgement and wealth though he seemingly tries to tell himself that it's about the conflict with the Catholics.

Meanwhile, he's never met one of his children.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Mariko does a good job of explaining how Blackthorne's self-centered freedom without responsibility or duty is similarly empty.

At this stage, his quest to open up the Japans is really more about satisfying his own need for adventure, acknowledgement and wealth though he seemingly tries to tell himself that it's about the conflict with the Catholics.

Meanwhile, he's never met one of his children.
Yes, I agree. It's a great juxtaposition of the two vastly different cultures and showing that they both have their own drawbacks and personal limitations.

That is a great point that you bring up about Blackthorne not having met his child, and at his own admission, he chose the life at sea over that relationship at this point. As far as I remember, he didn't seem to make the point that he was sacrificing to provide for them, but more so that he really just wanted to freedom of being at sea.

Reactions: Osprey and NyQuil

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

Yes absolutely was sus of Buntaro. I'm not buying that he fought his way out and practically everyone he was with died. His reluctance to tell the story of his "escape" strengthened that suspicion for me. He doesn't come off as honorable to me whatsoever.

Reactions: Sad People

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Yes absolutely was sus of Buntaro. I'm not buying that he fought his way out and practically everyone he was with died. His reluctance to tell the story of his "escape" strengthened that suspicion for me. He doesn't come off as honorable to me whatsoever.
Completely agreed after what he did to Mariko when he was drunk.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad