Online Series: Shogun (D+ and FX Feb 2024)

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
That was a fun, action-packed episode. I'm appreciating the Yabushige character (Toranaga's vassal) more with each episode. I'm not sure whether to like or dislike him because he's seemingly playing both sides. With the other characters being obviously good or bad, the series appears to ride a lot on Yabushige because he's the wild card that can greatly affect the story at any moment, depending on which side he's helping. The actor is doing a great job of selling that duplicity, as well.

I kind of get the feeling that even he may not be completely sure which side he’s on. Definitely an interesting character.

Reactions: Osprey

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Wow! All I can say is wow! What an excellent show. The politics of this show are simply incredible. As some others have said, the show doesn’t need much “action” as the dynamics of the political relationship and the shifting attitudes of the various characters more than makes up for it.

I’m two episodes in and can’t wait to see where this series goes! Feels great to have a current show I can actually feel invested in.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's such a nit and I know why they did it but the end of the last episode on the foggy ship...

I mean I know they don't have the budget to get on an actual ship in the ocean or whatever, but you know how sometimes those things pull you out of it? It's unfair but it just looked so damn fake. And of course it is - this isn't Master and Commander and they don't have the budget for it, but damn it was hard.

Anyway show is real gud.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That... escalated quickly. I thought that Nagakado was going to simply sabotage the cannons so that Jozen would leave and tell the council of regents of their ineffectiveness. I was even a little disappointed that it seemed so predictable. I certainly didn't predict him doing that. I love being surprised.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Shame this is only a one season production. The last episode was outstanding.

I'm glad it is.

Dramas based on existing (closed) content are almost always better because they usually have a distinct story arc that works.

Series that drag on, especially in North America, constantly try and re-invent themselves over and over again rather than end on a high note.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm glad it is.

Dramas based on existing (closed) content are almost always better because they usually have a distinct story arc that works.

Series that drag on, especially in North America, constantly try and re-invent themselves over and over again rather than end on a high note.
Well I'm not advocating for an extended run. But let's take Succession as an example. It got to and ended at four seasons without wearing out its welcome.

Iirc, this story is from a series of novels no? It's not like there's a risk of entrusting the showrunners to generate new content without the benefit of source material.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Iirc, this story is from a series of novels no? It's not like there's a risk of entrusting the showrunners to generate new content without the benefit of source material.

The novels are only loosely connected and take place in vastly different time periods.

It would be more of an anthology series, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you wouldn't see the same characters and actors.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The novels are only loosely connected and take place in vastly different time periods.

It would be more of an anthology series, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you wouldn't see the same characters and actors.
Also the others are a bit more... questionable content-wise? I think the next one is Gaijin, about the British taking Hong Kong, so you have to find a way to tactfully deal with the sticky colonialization issue while still telling an interesting story.

Shogun is pretty safe because at the end of the day Japan isn't colonized - it closes itself off.

Edit: My mistake - next one is Tai Pan.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I'd be fine with that. But then again I haven't reviewed the source material. Either way it's more of a compliment than anything.

Reactions: NyQuil

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Shame this is only a one season production. The last episode was outstanding.
well they took at 1000+ page novel and broke it down into 10 episodes so at least we get that unlike the 6 to 8 episodes a lot of online shows are.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
well they took at 1000+ page novel and broke it down into 10 episodes so at least we get that unlike the 6 to 8 episodes a lot of online shows are.
That's true. Again, it's meant more as a compliment. This feels like peak Game of Thrones minus dragons and a European medieval setting.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Speaking of Game of Thrones, we saw what happened once the writers of that show ran out of source material to adapt and had to start writing the story, themselves. Maybe it's best that this series ends where the novel ends and they don't try to write a sequel that Clavell, himself, seemingly didn't feel was necessary.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Holy wow episode 4 was excellent!! The ending really blew me away. Loved the direction that went.

Can’t get enough of this show!

Reactions: Dubi Doo and Osprey

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Episode 4 was amazing. This is going to go down as one of the best mini series ever, isn't it? Just have to hope they can keep the momentum going.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad