Shocking Tyler Wright stat

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Eh, if you accept you are not smarter than everyone else and go chalk you've got Larkin & Vilardi as top 2 centers and Chychrun + this year's #1 as your top 2 dmen. That's a really good base for a team that will be decent in 3-5 years. Instead we've got a bunch of projects who are not trending well. Rasmussen isn't in the top 50 of even strength point production in a weak league.

I get that for some Holland can do no wrong despite the fact we're one of the worst teams in the league. I get he deserves the benefit of the doubt at all times. I simply don't agree with that at all. This is definitely the case with regard to our drafting under Tyler Wright. Lots of people felt the Holland plan would prevent us from having to rebuild. Recent history hasn't been very kind to them.

Subtle. The old 'project the most extreme alternate position that no one is actually taking in order to justify my own relentlessly negative position' tactic.

Sorry, not buying. Absolutely no one on here, not even Dotter thinks that KH 'deserves the benefit of the doubt at all times'. No one even held that position when we were a contender.

Also, I have serious doubts that Chychrun turns out significantly better than Cholo + Hronek, given their excellent CHL records and the Arizona man's injury issues.

As for Vilardi, he's definitely more skilled all-round than Rasmussen, but it's not clear that he'll be more effective st the NHL level. Whether it was the right pick or not remains to be seen as they are such different players.

I'd rather we write off our prospects when they have actually failed rather then when quite a few are doing well in their respective leagues.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Took a few days for this thread to be outdated. Now call up Hronek so he can get a point as well.

So it depends?

It can take a decade?

Are their any bad GMs or directors of amateur scouting that you feel aren' good in the NHL?
Of course there are. I don’t bother with learning names, but Edmonton’s drafting outside the top of the draft is abysmal and in the 1st they’d had some iffy picks too. AZ very much the same. Buffalo is up there as not a great drafting team. Rangers I think are mediocre at best but like us have had few high picks (but McIlrath was terrible and I though Lias Andersson was a reach).
There are teams like Nashville that have had poor forward drafting and missed twice on Erik Karlsson, but no one cares because they’ve been fantastic at finding good D.

If you draft top 5 obviously you can judge that pick earlier than you can judge a 2nd or 4th or 7th round pick. If you get a 3rd liner in the top 3 obviously that’s a bad pick, compared to a 3rd liner from a 4th round pick which is good. As a rule I’d give it at least 3 years before assessing an entire draft year. If someone has been unimpressive in their d+1, d+2 AND d+3 season that is someone who is likely a bust. But a guy like Svech (solid d+1, good d+2, bad d+3) is too early to give up on.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Took a few days for this thread to be outdated. Now call up Hronek so he can get a point as well.

Of course there are. I don’t bother with learning names, but Edmonton’s drafting outside the top of the draft is abysmal and in the 1st they’d had some iffy picks too. AZ very much the same. Buffalo is up there as not a great drafting team. Rangers I think are mediocre at best but like us have had few high picks (but McIlrath was terrible and I though Lias Andersson was a reach).
There are teams like Nashville that have had poor forward drafting and missed twice on Erik Karlsson, but no one cares because they’ve been fantastic at finding good D.

If you draft top 5 obviously you can judge that pick earlier than you can judge a 2nd or 4th or 7th round pick. If you get a 3rd liner in the top 3 obviously that’s a bad pick, compared to a 3rd liner from a 4th round pick which is good. As a rule I’d give it at least 3 years before assessing an entire draft year. If someone has been unimpressive in their d+1, d+2 AND d+3 season that is someone who is likely a bust. But a guy like Svech (solid d+1, good d+2, bad d+3) is too early to give up on.

I bet EK cares right about now ;)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dylan Larkin is his only draft pick in Detroit to generate at least 1 point in the NHL. That's really sobering. Svechnikov may get an assist over the final 10 games, so we may get to two guys who have produced points at the NHl level.

It's yet another sign of how much needs to change once the season is officially over.

Update:

9 months later you opened this topic, there's now 6 players who have scored points from Tyler Wright drafts.

Dylan Larkin
Michael Rasmussen
Dennis Cholowski
Filip Hronek
Evgeny Svechnikov
Christoffer Ehn

Reactions: kliq

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Close, but it is actually mold. Pus is usually bacteria engorged white cells.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He's really skilled, but he's lost a lot of the footspeed he used to have. He used to be a typical Russian type winger who could skate, dangle, and shoot. I don't know what happened. Whenever I see him now, he tries to play super physical and grind it out. Could it be he's trying very hard to play some kind of hard-nosed NA game? IDK. But the guy I see on the ice now is not the guy I saw in his draft year. Although even as soon as the year after, he looked awful and slow at the WJC, so whatever happened happened around that time period.

Like, look at this. I've never seen this guy in a GR or Detroit uniform:
And he looked great in most of the games with the Griffs in his rookie season there. He had one bad season, otherwise he has been very promising.

These are all from one game

http://i.imgur.com/DhlWc3T.gif

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I guess there is a 2 gif limit per post. He was pretty much stoppped (coasting) behind the net here before he took off. From the same game.
And he wouldn't have lost foot speed although he obviously won't LOOK as fast playing against faster players in the AHL and NHL.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Svechnikov has just been a damn shame. He finally was rebounding at the end of the season and was having a good preseason and then an inoccuous accident takes him out for a season and will probably permanetly affect his speed.

There were better players picked around him, but I do think he’s been really unlucky and could have been a solid third line guy with offensive chops in a perfect situation

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
"I'm hoping and expecting that minimum of two, maybe four or five kids between the ages of 19 and 22 are on the roster next year that weren't on the team to start this year," Holland said. "I want to get those young people onto this roster when I think that they can help us be competitive."

Ken Holland: Detroit Red Wings determined to rebuild with youth

That was Ken Holland at 2017-2018 season-ending press conference.

"Minimum of 2 kids in" = Rasmussen and Cholowski from the season start.

"Maybe 4-5 kids between ages 19 to 22" = Rasmussen+Cholowski+Hronek+Ehn + (Svechnikov, if not injured)

He completed 100% this plan like informed on the press conference.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Svechnikov has just been a damn shame. He finally was rebounding at the end of the season and was having a good preseason and then an inoccuous accident takes him out for a season and will probably permanetly affect his speed.

There were better players picked around him, but I do think he’s been really unlucky and could have been a solid third line guy with offensive chops in a perfect situation
Still wouldn't bet against him becoming at least a 3rd line guy. I think you're underselling his potential.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This post has aged like milk

Yep lol

I'll take Rasmussen, Cholowski, Hronek, and Zadina over Vilardi, Chychrun and Zadina any day.

1 major injury in the first group compared to about 5 (all of which are more serious in the second group). Chychrun has already had 3 ACL tears and Vilardis back is in shambles

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I’m not as inflated as everyone else here. These players are only on the team because there really no one else to put there and aside from Cholowski (who himself is struggling too right now), none have proven to be NHL talents.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’m not as inflated as everyone else here. These players are only on the team because there really no one else to put there and aside from Cholowski (who himself is struggling too right now), none have proven to be NHL talents.
Hronek and Rasmussen easily have NHL careers ahead of them. Probably Ehn too. Cholo is legit. And Larkin is becoming a star. No one is inflated but the original thread idea is completely invalidated by now.

Reactions: Henkka

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hronek and Rasmussen easily have NHL careers ahead of them. Probably Ehn too. Cholo is legit. And Larkin is becoming a star. No one is inflated but the original thread idea is completely invalidated by now.

I mean, it was a beyond ridiculous idea for a topic at its creation. It should have been completely invalidated when he originally hit post back then

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What comes to this topic, and why I wanted to lift it back up, because it was just too good bad example to start judging a scouting director after only a 4-draft work.

Because with everybody, it takes years of time, before you see the results. Red Wings have kept usually same scouting Director for 9 years, and then change the guy.

Now we have seen, that not before than after 5 drafts the first bigger results are coming in reality. Players were in juniors, Europe, College, just out from Wings roster, first lower round picks were 22-year old like Ehn. Many won't join NHL before that age except TOP15 1st rounders like Larkin.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean, it was a beyond ridiculous idea for a topic at its creation. It should have been completely invalidated when he originally hit post back then

When posted what was said was true. Not sure that is fair to rundown that way.

Now it was unlikely to hold up and that is just what happened.

But let's stick to the subject here gang, I feel there is a little bit focused on @Run the Jewels that isn't fair, not totally out of bounds in terms of rules but lets try to be a little nicer in some of the phrasing of things. We have opinions and some turn out wrong. Lord knows I don't want my Tvrdon quotes thrown back on me now, oof. Let's try to be a little nicer if we are re-jumping a conversation around here. Be better than the main boards is one of the things I would ask from you all. The subject didn't age well, but hey now is a time to say maybe Wright and Holland have a new direction going and we are starting to see the full end of the Nill - McDonnell era. I like some of the guys but also if a bunch fail some of the posts in response are going to age like milk as well.

There is a lot on this forum that looks pretty ridiculous if you dig around. None of us are Nostradamus.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

But let's stick to the subject here gang, I feel there is a little bit focused on @Run the Jewels that isn't fair, not totally out of bounds in terms of rules but lets try to be a little nicer in some of the phrasing of things. We have opinions and some turn out wrong. Lord knows I don't want my Tvrdon quotes thrown back on me now, oof. Let's try to be a little nicer if we are re-jumping a conversation around here. Be better than the main boards is one of the things I would ask from you all. The subject didn't age well, but hey now is a time to say maybe Wright and Holland have a new direction going and we are starting to see the full end of the Nill - McDonnell era. I like some of the guys but also if a bunch fail some of the posts in response are going to age like milk as well.

There is a lot on this forum that looks pretty ridiculous if you dig around. None of us are Nostradamus.

What he posted at the time was true sure but it doesnt make it any less reactionary and poorly thought out. Not trying to attack him but its the kind of post with a negative spin that this board has going in spades the last little while even if its undeserved. So it was called out for how bad it looks now, especially some of the posts in here.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I understand on that and I’ll attempt to be nicer, but this was exaggerating something that was technically true to make a very weak point. It is entirely possible that the 2015-2017 drafts are all busts. But the fact that they didn’t have a point in the NHL within 2-3 years of being drafted isn’t remotely indicative of it.

It was taking an indefensible position and trying to slag the Wings executives with it. They’ve made enough mistakes/questionable decisions that you don’t have to stretch like that.

There is a big difference to me between something like you thinking Marek Tvrdon is going to be something special and someone saying “HOLY CRAP, THIS STAT IS SHOCKING AND HORRIFYING. LOOK HOW BAD HOLLAND IS!” And all this using bad logic to defend the opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad