Shocking Tyler Wright stat

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Dylan Larkin is his only draft pick in Detroit to generate at least 1 point in the NHL. That's really sobering. Svechnikov may get an assist over the final 10 games, so we may get to two guys who have produced points at the NHl level.

It's yet another sign of how much needs to change once the season is officially over.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How about all other teams from same drafts?

You could collect all games and points from 2014-2017 drafts for example.

Then we compare.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How about all other teams from same drafts?

You could collect all games and points from 2014-2017 drafts for example.

Then we compare.
I started doing it and most teams have between 3-4. There's nothing shocking about this terrible post idea.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
# players drafted by each team since the Wings drafted Larkin that have produced at least one point in the NHL.

Arizona: 6
Boston: 6
Buffalo: 5 (But three of those five only put up exactly one point)
Calgary: 2
Carolina: 4
Chicago: 2
Colorado: 5
Columbus: 5
Dallas: 1 (Jim Nill in da house!!!!!)
Edmonton: 5
Florida: 5
Los Angeles: 3
Minnesota: 3
Montreal: 4
Nashville: 3
New Jersey: 4
Islanders: 4
Rangers: 0 (At least they have Brendan Smith)
Ottawa: 4 (Although 3 of those 4 have combined for a total of six points)
Philly: 4
Pittsburgh: 3
San Jose: 3
St.Louis: 5
Tampa Bay: 3
Toronto: 4
Vancouver: 5

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't think it's fair to judge him on just a couple of years in Detroit. But looking back to his time in Columbus, I'm not a big fan of his work there, either. His draft style is exactly the opposite of what Detroit needs right now. I think the only pick of his I've liked has been Wennberg.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Dylan Larkin is his only draft pick in Detroit to generate at least 1 point in the NHL. That's really sobering. Svechnikov may get an assist over the final 10 games, so we may get to two guys who have produced points at the NHl level.

It's yet another sign of how much needs to change once the season is officially over.
Well to be fair Larkin is our best player.. would you rather we found 5 guys that all had 10-20 NHL points, or 1 guy that has 100+?

Turgeon, Rasmussen, Cholo and Hronek will make the ”1 point club” soon enough, probably next year. Holmstrom could do it. Saarijarvi probably will. Svechnikov hopefully any game now. Pearson has potential.

If you look at those teams that have 4-5+, it’s mostly those that have been bottomfeeders the last couple of years. Huge coincidence...

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
”turned out”? He’s 21...

If he struggles next year too we can start talking about how he is turning out.

i agree. i actually think that he doesn't look bad - plays physical, has had a few nice passes. in last years call up he looked good as well - as good as you can look when you only get to play 5 minutes and have 10 minutes in between shifts....

i expected him to be more skilled, to be honest. But maybe he just didn't have the chance to show it yet

Reactions: StargateSG1

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
# players drafted by each team since the Wings drafted Larkin that have produced at least one point in the NHL.

Arizona: 6
Boston: 6
Buffalo: 5 (But three of those five only put up exactly one point)
Calgary: 2
Carolina: 4
Chicago: 2
Colorado: 5
Columbus: 5
Dallas: 1 (Jim Nill in da house!!!!!)
Edmonton: 5
Florida: 5
Los Angeles: 3
Minnesota: 3
Montreal: 4
Nashville: 3
New Jersey: 4
Islanders: 4
Rangers: 0 (At least they have Brendan Smith)
Ottawa: 4 (Although 3 of those 4 have combined for a total of six points)
Philly: 4
Pittsburgh: 3
San Jose: 3
St.Louis: 5
Tampa Bay: 3
Toronto: 4
Vancouver: 5
Keep in mind we could have drafted Chychrun and Gabe Vilardi who tore up the OHL. Then you add in a pick at #5 this year - give or take - and your have the start of a solid rebuild.

This front office needs to go ASAP.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
i agree. i actually think that he doesn't look bad - plays physical, has had a few nice passes. in last years call up he looked good as well - as good as you can look when you only get to play 5 minutes and have 10 minutes in between shifts....

i expected him to be more skilled, to be honest. But maybe he just didn't have the chance to show it yet
He's really skilled, but he's lost a lot of the footspeed he used to have. He used to be a typical Russian type winger who could skate, dangle, and shoot. I don't know what happened. Whenever I see him now, he tries to play super physical and grind it out. Could it be he's trying very hard to play some kind of hard-nosed NA game? IDK. But the guy I see on the ice now is not the guy I saw in his draft year. Although even as soon as the year after, he looked awful and slow at the WJC, so whatever happened happened around that time period.

Like, look at this. I've never seen this guy in a GR or Detroit uniform:

Reactions: nbwingsfan

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
He's really skilled, but he's lost a lot of the footspeed he used to have. He used to be a typical Russian type winger who could skate, dangle, and shoot. I don't know what happened. Whenever I see him now, he tries to play super physical and grind it out. Could it be he's trying very hard to play some kind of hard-nosed NA game? IDK. But the guy I see on the ice now is not the guy I saw in his draft year. Although even as soon as the year after, he looked awful and slow at the WJC, so whatever happened happened around that time period.

Like, look at this. I've never seen this guy in a GR or Detroit uniform:

yeah i know the footage, i have seen a lot of video of svechnikov, thats why i expected him to look more skilled....he obviously has those skills . hopefully he finds his groove, he doesnt look to different from his brother in these vids

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Keep in mind we could have drafted Chychrun and Gabe Vilardi who tore up the OHL. Then you add in a pick at #5 this year - give or take - and your have the start of a solid rebuild.

Because they missed on a 20 point d-man and a guy who is good in juniors?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Chychrun is going to have a long, successful NHL career. Vilardi was a top 5 point producer at even strength. All of you who have defended Holland need to realize how bad he's been over the past 5 years. Add in awful drafting and he's set the rebuild to being competitive back further than was necessary.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Chychrun is going to have a long, successful NHL career. Vilardi was a top 5 point producer at even strength. All of you who have defended Holland need to realize how bad he's been over the past 5 years. Add in awful drafting and he's set the rebuild to being competitive back further than was necessary.
This thread is about Wright. Holland is ultimately responsible, sure, but you kinda reveal yourself. It’s all about Holland bashing rather than a reasonable look at our drafting under Wright.
Judging drafts 1-3 years out is extremely difficult to do. Some players can stand out as great picks early, but it doesn’t mean others won’t catch up and maybe surpass them. Wright’s 1st draft was ’14 and that 1st round pick is now our best player. To me that tells me we aren’t completely dropping the ball. We’ve also drafted a TON of d-men and they generally take a little longer.

Reactions: gbdet

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Whether you wanna complain about Wright or Holland, the big takeaway is that this organization is bad at everything it does. It's why the entire front office needs to be purged.
I'll never understand why people continue to defend the indefensible. We're gonna have a long rebuild due entirely to Holland and Wright. Why on earth would anyone want them to continue on in their current rolls?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Can we at least wait until Vilardi plays an NHL game? That’s all I ask.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I'll never understand why people continue to defend the indefensible. We're gonna have a long rebuild due entirely to Holland and Wright. Why on earth would anyone want them to continue on in their current rolls?
The only reason Tyler Wright even has a job is because he has a cabin next to Holland's. His CBJ record was pitiful to justify his hiring.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Says someone who has been watching stat lines? If you watched him during this call up he hasn't looked lost, but like a guy that is being played with terrible linemates, for nearly no minutes, on a team that is on a massive losing streak.
I'm sure a variation of this comment has been made about nearly every disappointing Red Wings draft pick. It's never their fault when they struggle; it's always the linemates or coaches or front office that's holding them back until five years later everyone suddenly realizes he just isn't that good.

Take a sample of the high impact forwards around the NHL and look at their age 21 seasons: I'd wager that 95+% of them look substantially better than Svechnikov's 2017-2018 season. Now go look at the age 21 seasons of busts drafted in the mid-1st round: I'd bet a lot of them look awfully similar to Svechnikov's season this year. Does that mean he's guaranteed to be a disappointment? Of course not, but the odds of him being an impactful NHL player are not particularly high at this point.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't think it's fair to judge him on just a couple of years in Detroit. But looking back to his time in Columbus, I'm not a big fan of his work there, either. His draft style is exactly the opposite of what Detroit needs right now. I think the only pick of his I've liked has been Wennberg.

I never understood what Tyler Wright did to come in to the Wings at such a high position.
I think it's just a case of another Western Canada boy in a good old boys organization.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I definitely wanted Vilardi, but I am very happy with the chowolski/Hronek trade. Chychrun has a ton of red flags.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm sure a variation of this comment has been made about nearly every disappointing Red Wings draft pick. It's never their fault when they struggle; it's always the linemates or coaches or front office that's holding them back until five years later everyone suddenly realizes he just isn't that good.

Take a sample of the high impact forwards around the NHL and look at their age 21 seasons: I'd wager that 95+% of them look substantially better than Svechnikov's 2017-2018 season. Now go look at the age 21 seasons of busts drafted in the mid-1st round: I'd bet a lot of them look awfully similar to Svechnikov's season this year. Does that mean he's guaranteed to be a disappointment? Of course not, but the odds of him being an impactful NHL player are not particularly high at this point.

Shouldn’t we wait until the kid had played more then a few games though to truly asses?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad