SHL 2020-2021

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Why didnt we postpone the season to start much later?
This autumn will be a giant economic meltdown for most SHL clubs.
Primarily because of TV and sponsorship deals.

The money clubs make from those deals are far more important than ticket sales. The government will give the clubs money I’m sure. The league generates lots and lots of taxes.

Last edited:

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am a Devils fan and couldn't be more excited about Holtz. Do you guys know if there's any way i can stream his game today in America?

Thank you

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
I'm just posting in here as I'm in the UK and looking for a time-zone friendly hockey fix. I've never really paid much attention to the SHL before but thought I'd try and commit some free time to following it. I'm pretty amazed at how little English language media content there is for the league considering it's status.

Am I missing something here? Are there any good English language official/unofficial sites?

I'm a freelance sports writer and if there are any Swedes here with a strong knowledge of the league, it might be worth us putting our heads together to see if there's some sort of niche project we could work on perhaps?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I'm just posting in here as I'm in the UK and looking for a time-zone friendly hockey fix. I've never really paid much attention to the SHL before but thought I'd try and commit some free time to following it. I'm pretty amazed at how little English language media content there is for the league considering it's status.

Am I missing something here? Are there any good English language official/unofficial sites?

I'm a freelance sports writer and if there are any Swedes here with a strong knowledge of the league, it might be worth us putting our heads together to see if there's some sort of niche project we could work on perhaps?

I’ve seen British SHL broadcasts with a lone commentator a few years ago!
According to Wikipedia, Premier Sports and FreeSports air SHL games in the UK.

Edit: It doesn’t seem like Premier Sports broadcasts the SHL anymore, though, however FreeSports has a couple of games scheduled.

But I’m pretty sure that there was some other service in the UK a few years back, whose thing was to broadcast more “niche” sports for the British people. They had NHL, the World Cup of hockey, and the SHL, among other things. Imma try and find out the name and if they still exist.

Last edited:

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
I’ve seen British SHL broadcasts with a lone commentator a few years ago!
According to Wikipedia, Premier Sports and FreeSports air SHL games in the UK.

Edit: It doesn’t seem like Premier Sports broadcasts the SHL anymore, though, however FreeSports has a couple of games scheduled.

But I’m pretty sure that there was some other service in the UK a few years back, whose thing was to broadcast more “niche” sports for the British people. They had NHL, the World Cup of hockey, and the SHL, among other things. Imma try and find out the name and if they still exist.

Yeah, I think the channel you are referring to was replaced by Premier Sports/Free Sports (same company).

I'm astounded at how little official/unofficial English language coverage there is of the SHL.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
Yeah, I think the channel you are referring to was replaced by Premier Sports/Free Sports (same company).

I'm astounded at how little official/unofficial English language coverage there is of the SHL.

There was a "world feed" broadcast with one english speaking commentator the last couple of seasons with one game per game night, but that service got cut for this season. Now there's the weekly recap at shl.se that's the only official info about shl available.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019

I believe you’re right. Alas, I honestly don’t know how surprised I am; my prejudice towards you personally is that your interest is pretty niche amongst your countrymen :) I was probably more surprised a few years back when I found out that some SHL games were aired in the UK at all.

Even among North American hockey fans, I’d suspect that SHL hockey is mostly of interest to some expats, the most hardcore hockey aficionados, draft geeks and fans of certain teams and their prospects, whereas hockey fans in general care about the SHL as much as I do about Liiga or KHL, meaning that I wouldn’t really ever go out of my way to watch any games.

Nevertheless, I would expect that the SHL license probably could be obtained rather cheap in countries outside of Scandinavia, and that globally there’s a sufficiently large market in order to make English language broadcasts worthwhile. They could be mostly or totally web based, with the same English commentary in every country where there’s even a minuscule market. I feel like it’s something that perhaps should be feasible in this globalized, interconnected modern world.

If there were British players in the SHL, or better yet, something like a star forward, would you believe that to be something that would help turn the dial towards more serious interest for British broadcasters?

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
If there were British players in the SHL, or better yet, something like a star forward, would you believe that to be something that would help turn the dial towards more serious interest for British broadcasters?

In all honesty, amongst the hockey fan-base here - yes, people would want to follow and support their place, but obviously as hockey remains a minority sport in the UK, the level of interest would still be relatively small from a national perspective.

I'm surprised that the SHL don't even have an English language edition of their website first and foremost. Presumably, even some other European countries are more likely to understand and engage in English language content than Swedish.

Also, Linkoping v Djurgarden is live on FreeSports this week and Malmo v Frolunda is on next week.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I'm surprised that the SHL don't even have an English language edition of their website first and foremost. Presumably, even some other European countries are more likely to understand and engage in English language content than Swedish.

Yeah, that's bad for sure. They have the Weekly Recap and maybe an article or two in English on the front page but I guess that's it. If one wants to dig into SHL stats then SHL.se is probably the deepest free source, but it has to become quite a hassle having to decipher all the Swedish terms. It's really a bummer, there's obviously a fair amount of interest for the league outside of Sweden, and we have the CHL every season with people more likely to want to find out about the league: there are many reasons why expanding the English language content is a good idea.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Also, Linkoping v Djurgarden is live on FreeSports this week and Malmo v Frolunda is on next week.

Yeah, I saw that and wondered why those two games, haha. I'd guess because Djurgården and Frölunda are big city teams with many fans? The match ups look kind of boring in my opinion, but at least people can get a chance to see Holtz and Raymond and try and figure out what they are all about.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
whats the scouting report on Niklas Rubin, legitimate chance to be a potential NHL goalie or ???

I’m not a scout, but I’d be surprised if he made the NHL, despite the good start to his season. Should be noted that Frölunda has been the best defensive team in the league, and Rubin has only faced 18,75 shots on average in his four starts this season.

He hasn’t impressed me too much in his two previous SHL seasons either. When he was with Luleå I worried about him letting up too many rebounds, but he was the backup to the best goalie in the league and he might just have looked bad in that comparison. He’s improved, and is likely to continue improving, but I haven’t seen enough to make me think he’s ever going to have a shot at the NHL. Size is also a concern.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Why does Djurgarden have such a long pause in their schedule? It looks like at least one of their games was cancelled.

At least five of their players have been infected by the coronavirus

Edit: Games have been postponed, not cancelled outright. Linköping has also had confirmed cases and had games postponed. Skellefteå has reportedly had two cases, but I think the players had been isolated so they’ve continued with their schedule.

Luleå has nine players and their head coach missing for tomorrow’s game, however one’s a suspected concussion (Wallstedt), and two are previous injuries (Eddie Larsson, Petter Emanuelsson). Jack Connolly skips the game for personal reasons, and the rest are believed to be colds based on the suspected “patient zero” having received a negative corona test, but they err on the side of caution with them being tested and cleared before returning to the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShippinItDaily

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Noteworthy is that half of Skellefteå team is reported to have antibodies. Probably from an event only local newspapers wrote about but not the national ones; outbreaks in Skellefteå & Luleå after the last game of previous season, on 12th march when the two teams played against each other. Good thing that game was played without spectators.

Today it was reported that another case has been confirmed in Skellefteå, so three active cases there.

Also reported today was the first confirmed case in Leksand.

This is getting messy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad