Confirmed with Link: Shinkurak for Kerby Rychel (Rychel signs 1-year, 2-way deal)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know I realize this is a minor move, but I actually quite like it. I honestly don’t know much about where Rychel’s defensive is at, but if he’s competent this could be a pretty underrated addition. He’s got good size, plays with a little bit of an edge and has some offensive ability and skill. Sounds like a perfect 3rd liner.

I don’t really have expectations but guys like Rychel, Klimmer and Quine are all going to help push like Frolik and Ryan. Plus we know if injuries happen, it won’t be a bad thing because we’re going to get some youthful fresh legs coming up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Meh.. 1 bust gets traded for another bust.
I'm a firm believer that no player should be called a bust until they are 25 or cannot find an NHL team to sign then.

That said we're Rychel's 4th team in 5 years. Oddly his NHL production (and AHL for that matter) are actually pretty solid. Could there be more going on behind the scenes with him?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
minor league trade. We have nine LHS forwards better than Rychel:

Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Bennett
Backlund
Monahan
Neal
Jankowski
Eatbread
Frolik

But more depth never hurt and I never had much confidence in Shinkaruk.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Best case scenario, warm body for injuries, worst case, AHL depth. Meh, I consider it a win, I never considered Shink to even be capable of being a warm body at this point. Still miss Granny

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Solid trade.
Rychel makes Stockton a better team. Still might have some depth upside too.

Hunter will be in Europe soon.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Best case scenario, warm body for injuries, worst case, AHL depth. Meh, I consider it a win, I never considered Shink to even be capable of being a warm body at this point. Still miss Granny

Rather than just picking up warm bodies I think Treliving is hoping one of these 2013 1st round guys turns into another Versteeg or Brad Boyes. He's trying to play the percentages.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Treliving also doesn't have to pay Shinkaruk $915,000+ to play in the NHL. Now he only has to pay Rychel $725,000. Same goes for Montreal. Instead of having to pay Rychel $915,000+ they now only have to pay Shinkaruk $650,000. Win win for both sides.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I think there's a decent chance Rychel will be claimed off waivers. No guarantee, but decent shot. But even if he does, if we weren't planning to keep Shinkaruk anyway, we don't lose anything

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Treliving also doesn't have to pay Shinkaruk $915,000+ to play in the NHL. Now he only has to pay Rychel $725,000. Same goes for Montreal. Instead of having to pay Rychel $915,000+ they now only have to pay Shinkaruk $650,000. Win win for both sides.
What? Both were offered QOs, yes but the time for the players to accept them has long since passed. Their new contracts were going to be what they negotiated.

Also, if the date to accept QOs hadn't passed, the new teams would still have to honor the QOs

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Rather than just picking up warm bodies I think Treliving is hoping one of these 2013 1st round guys turns into another Versteeg or Brad Boyes. He's trying to play the percentages.

Well... no. Treliving likes doing minor deals and often gets good value in such deals.

Treliving was flirting with losing Granlund for nothing on waivers due to a logjam on the NHL roster. He moved Granlund for Shinkaruk. Nothing - > Shinkaruk = win.
Treliving was flirting with letting Shinkaruk go to Europe for nothing... He essentially moved Shinkaruk's rights for Rychel. Nothing - > Rychel = Win
Treliving was flirting with having nothing for Kanzig. He essentially flipped him for Lack and a favor and then Lack for Prout. Kanig-> Prout = win.
Treliving was flirting with having nothing for Sieloff. He flipped him for a RFA holdout in Chiasson. Sieloff-> Chiasson = major win.
Jones -> Backstrom + 6th = win. Phillips isn't guaranteed, but it's better than nothing.
Knight - > Drew shore = meh

etc.

I honestly think it's purely coincidence the players that he is ending up with are from the 2013. That, or they're pieces that shake free and pieces from other drafts other teams are very content in holding on to.

However, I do believe Rychel has a smidge more value than Shinkaruk as he has more likelihood to play more NHL games here on out in a bottom 6 role. Shink is going to have to continue fighting serious logjams to get into someone's middle 6.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
It's to early to write off either player completely but I actually like the upside and skillset of Rychel. I think he can become a regular bottom six player on an NHL roster. The same can't be said for Hunter in my opinion unfortunately.

Just to put in some perspective

Player A (at 23 years old):
AHL : 64 games, 13 goals, 20 assists, 33 points, 71 PIMS (0.51 Pts/G)
NHL : 97 games played, 6 goals, 17 assists, 23 points 61 PIMS (0.24 Pts/g)

Player B (at 23 years old):
AHL : 232 games played, 56 goals, 94 assists, 150 points, 268 PIMS (0.65 Pts/g)
NHL : 41 games played, 3 goals, 11 assists, 14 points, 19 PIMS (0.34 Pts/G)

Player A is Michael Ferland, Player B is Kerby Rychel.

Obviously not all players develop at the same rate, but it is encouraging to see nonetheless and not all hope should be lost for expecting an NHL player.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There are 2 spots open (1 full time and 1 bench warmer)

Lazar
Hathaway
Rychel
Peluso
Quine
Graovac
Mangepanne
Klimchuk
Foo
Dube

One is probably going to a finese/energy player, the other goes to a tough guy/goon.

Anyway competion is fierce for so little. Good luck boys :naughty:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's to early to write off either player completely but I actually like the upside and skillset of Rychel. I think he can become a regular bottom six player on an NHL roster. The same can't be said for Hunter in my opinion unfortunately.

Just to put in some perspective

Player A (at 23 years old):
AHL : 64 games, 13 goals, 20 assists, 33 points, 71 PIMS (0.51 Pts/G)
NHL : 97 games played, 6 goals, 17 assists, 23 points 61 PIMS (0.24 Pts/g)

Player B (at 23 years old):
AHL : 232 games played, 56 goals, 94 assists, 150 points, 268 PIMS (0.65 Pts/g)
NHL : 41 games played, 3 goals, 11 assists, 14 points, 19 PIMS (0.34 Pts/G)

Player A is Michael Ferland, Player B is Kerby Rychel.

Obviously not all players develop at the same rate, but it is encouraging to see nonetheless and not all hope should be lost for expecting an NHL player.

All good except one "minor" detail. Ferland didnt have 3 teams giving up on him.

Not saying Rychel is a total bust but he is not Ferland

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There are 2 spots open (1 full time and 1 bench warmer)

Lazar
Hathaway
Rychel
Peluso
Quine
Graovac
Mangepanne
Klimchuk
Foo
Dube

One is probably going to a finese/energy player, the other goes to a tough guy/goon.

Anyway competion is fierce for so little. Good luck boys :naughty:
there are 3 open

All good except one "minor" detail. Ferland didnt have 3 teams giving up on him.

Clearly you missed his point. Let me dumb it down for you.

Some players take longer to develop.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
there are 3 open

Clearly you missed his point. Let me dumb it down for you.

Some players take longer to develop.

OK I can dumb down my response to: Not everyone can be Michael Ferland. Especially, a guy that was given up by 3 teams already. Get it?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What? Both were offered QOs, yes but the time for the players to accept them has long since passed. Their new contracts were going to be what they negotiated.

Also, if the date to accept QOs hadn't passed, the new teams would still have to honor the QOs
I didn't realize there was a time limit on the QO's and I assumed that since the Flames made the QO to Shinkaruk the Canadians wouldn't have honor another team's QO... and the same for Rychel.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't have a lot of hope that Rychel will make it as a NHL regular. If he couldn't make it with the Canadians, a team that finished 28th last year and could only score 209 goals (29th in the league) I don't expect he'll likely become a Flames regular. Maybe he'll surprise me but I think Rychel is in the same spot as Shinkaruk was on the prospect totem pole.... which was below Mangiapane, and Dube on the LW. The Flames LW is pretty solid with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Bennett, and Frolik likely filling those spots. `

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I didn't realize there was a time limit on the QO's and I assumed that since the Flames made the QO to Shinkaruk the Canadians wouldn't have honor another team's QO... and the same for Rychel.
I caught that. But yeah, QOs have to be accepted declined by a certain date, I am not sure when that is other than it's in July some time.

The reason why a team would have to honor a QO is because it is a contract offer set forth by the CBA to retain the players rights.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

I never stated that he will become the next Michael Ferland. All I said is that there should still be the hope that he can develop into an effective bottom six NHL player and simply used Ferland as he is a very familiar comparison for us all. In saying that will it likely happen? Probably not, it's more likely a quality addition to Stockton, but nonetheless a decent trade to make.

And yes, while it is true that three teams have now elected to move on from Rychel it should also be noted that now four different teams have showed an interest in him by acquiring him via trade or by drafting him. It's not as if he has bounced around through the waiver wire or free agency and given up for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad