Review: Sherwood Nexon n12 stick

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I finally broke my of my n12s after buying two in August of '12. The toes on both are pretty beaten up, but the blades and shafts were pretty much intact until I snapped one last night at the heel of the blade.

Overall, the N12 has been one of my favorite sticks of all time, right up there with the One95. I'm hoping to find some on clearance this summer.

reecardo

Mar 1, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Similar Story

Bought my N10 pro stock from the pro-shop at the local rink as a backup, it has been far more durable then I would have thought. My next stick will be a Sherwood again for sure, it has outlasted three Warrior sticks/shafts that I used far less.

Chanbing96

Dec 19, 2012
Kalamazoo mi
Sherwood makes pretty good sticks. I was also using more expensive sticks ($2-300) and finally became fed up breaking them so often.

I finally went out and bought the Sherwood N10 which is a really good stick. I paid around $80 bucks for it. I find that I actually like it better, and that it is more durable.

I ended up buying 3 of them so I dont have to worry about them for a while.

Honestly, you can either shoot or you can't, the most important thing is the feel of the stick. If you like the feel of a $10 wood one then go with that. If you think that a $300 stick feels the best for you then get that.

I would reccomended looking at the N10 though (never tried the N12, but I would assume its pretty similar). Its an affordable stick that performs well.

We're did you find it for 80$?

Jul 31, 2005
CA

Looks sick but I had to paint my RBZ blade black. After using nothing but dark tape and dark colored blades or one pieces my whole life it really threw me off when I tried to receive passes. It seems silly but when you're playing a league game and flubbing passes when you're wide open sick looking sticks aren't that cool. One coat of flat black paint and I was back to normal.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
Looks sick but I had to paint my RBZ blade black. After using nothing but dark tape and dark colored blades or one pieces my whole life it really threw me off when I tried to receive passes. It seems silly but when you're playing a league game and flubbing passes when you're wide open sick looking sticks aren't that cool. One coat of flat black paint and I was back to normal.

That's kind of funny b/c I have the Mako 2 and it has the black blade, but I covered that in white tape, b/c that's what I'm used to. Just goes to show how useless most of these color gimmicks are. It is always whatever you are most comfortable with.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
any updates on these...only reason i'm asking is they're on clearance now for ~$100 here in edmonton...wanted to hear more about the stick

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
any updates on this? reason i ask is my LHS has them on clearance for ~$100 wondering what previous owners thought of their N12

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I've still been a 2 piece user for some time...

I've been using a hall/sakic curve on an AK27 and a ST which are both low->mid kickpoint but my RS blades for sure helped make it seem to pop lower.

I picked up the Stasny curve which is the same as the Sakic/Hall, in a N11 from Costco which seem to be almost like the N12, as they weigh the same in specs.

I have to say, I'm impressed... lots of "Pop", especially in the blade.

Very good feel to the blade and shaft, never missing a pass... BUT I think what people are saying, especially with the non-grip, is a feel on the finish that isn't up to par like the high end RBZ/TotalOne.

I think its cause its non-tapered, and has a finish-clear/coat simular to the old Sherwood Response RM9/19 sticks.

but otherwise I have no quarms over its durability.

I did buy a pair and I switch between the two to increase their durability...

in fact "shaft" wise, the load feels very simular to the old RM19 pro-stocks I had, infact the same kinda shaft size as the Blue series. HOWEVER the blade feel is night and day, as the old one felt like super heavy fiberglass and dead, compared to this one.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Huh, I had no idea there was a N11. Also, I'm jealous of anyone whose Costco sells hockey gear. That doesn't happen here in the DC area.

I'm now using my third N12, and the performance has been consistently good. I've been using the current stick for around 4 months, 2-3x per week, and again the only problem is that the toe is cracked. Toe wear has slowed since I started taping all the way over the toe, which I didn't used to do.

Still a great stick. Get 'em on clearance while they last.

lifebird

Jan 16, 2012
Chicago area
GRAB IT WHILE YOU CAN -- N10 & N12 sticks Rock!

I have been through quite a few sticks looking for the ideal. N12 is my choice. I just picked up 2 more N12's on eBay; new for $65 each. I also tried the N10's which are great sticks but I favor the super light N12. Two years using an N12 and no breaks, only shaft nicks from batting down shots.
If you look around the Internet enough you should find a great price for the right flex & blade profile. My local Total Hockey has run out of RH N12's, they still have some N10's at clearance prices. NOTE: Although most SherWood NHL'ers use the N12, other guys including Craig Adams (Penguins) favored the N10 for a couple of seasons.
Overall, I find that SherWood is the best kept secret for getting a high-end stick without the $250+ price tag.
Happy Hockey, T

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I have been through quite a few sticks looking for the ideal. N12 is my choice. I just picked up 2 more N12's on eBay; new for $65 each. I also tried the N10's which are great sticks but I favor the super light N12. Two years using an N12 and no breaks, only shaft nicks from batting down shots.
If you look around the Internet enough you should find a great price for the right flex & blade profile. My local Total Hockey has run out of RH N12's, they still have some N10's at clearance prices. NOTE: Although most SherWood NHL'ers use the N12, other guys including Craig Adams (Penguins) favored the N10 for a couple of seasons.
Overall, I find that SherWood is the best kept secret for getting a high-end stick without the $250+ price tag.
Happy Hockey, T

Source?

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford

I actually tried to look into this. While I can't say what his actual preference was. He definitely used something that looked like a Nexon N10(wheter it was something dressed up in a different paint job, who knows). If you look up images of him, there are definite more than one with him clearly using a Sherwood Nexon N10 color scheme. Although, I think it would be hard pressed to find out what the stick really was, if it in fact was or was not a true N10.

I can't access Ebay from my work PC. However, through a search it appears that there may have been some N10 pro Craig Adams pro returns on Ebay at one point.

So who knows.

Two4Roughing

Apr 30, 2014
I actually tried to look into this. While I can't say what his actual preference was. He definitely used something that looked like a Nexon N10(wheter it was something dressed up in a different paint job, who knows). If you look up images of him, there are definite more than one with him clearly using a Sherwood Nexon N10 color scheme. Although, I think it would be hard pressed to find out what the stick really was, if it in fact was or was not a true N10.

I can't access Ebay from my work PC. However, through a search it appears that there may have been some N10 pro Craig Adams pro returns on Ebay at one point.

So who knows.

If he wasn't using a N10, they sure tried to make it look like he does:

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2014/02/04/ca0,21,1536,1045/adams0205.jpg

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

So who knows.

Bingo. The first rule of thumb when looking at pro equipment is to never assume that the visuals equate to the actuals.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Bingo. The first rule of thumb when looking at pro equipment is to never assume that the visuals equate to the actuals.

Kessel and PK Suban still play with S19s. Wouldn't Easton be extremely motivated to make them S19's and paint them like the new synergy or something?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
What they want and what players do can and sometimes are different. CCM most definitely wanted Ovi to keep using their product too.

We have a batch of Subban's sticks. They are Mako 2s dressed as S19s.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
What they want and what players do can and sometimes are different. CCM most definitely wanted Ovi to keep using their product too.

WOW! That is unexpected. I guess if you are a pro, then the sky is the limit for what companies will do.

McDugan

Jun 29, 2010

Odd. Wonder if he thinks he is using an S19.

It's not all that far-fetched, really. Considering how pros are notoriously finicky about not changing what they're comfortable with, but also tend not to be gear connoisseurs on the level of many enthusiasts, I wouldn't be shocked if he either wanted S19's and they gave him Mako II's painted as S19's because they don't actually make S19's anymore, or if he just had some weird superstitious hangup about the graphics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad