Review: Sherwood Nexon n12 stick

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Sher-wood Nexon N12

I just bought this stick and thought I'd share a bit about it and maybe other people who've used it could chime in.

My last two sticks were the one95 and the 2010 u+ CL (both broke), so I was looking for something higher-end without the $250 price tag. Mainly I was searching for last seasons stock marked down but I didn't have much luck. Then I picked up the n12 in a cyclone taylor. At $160 it didn't seem unreasonable. I'd heard Sher-wood was trying to improve their top end options, as the T90 sort of capped consumers options at a mid-line stick.

The first thing I noticed was the balance which is fantastic. Coming from the impeccable balance of the one95, I was still impressed. Second thing that got me was the incredible light weight. I'm not sure what it weighs in at - i can't seem to find that information online - but just trying to compare in store I'd say it compares to the TotalONE (possibly slightly lighter?).

At first I was unsure because they only had it in a Coffey curve with 95 flex (my normal curve is the P88 and an 85 flex chopped down, probably to about a 95) but after comparing it to other curves in store, it seems to be almost identical to the P88 with a slightly lower lie and a square toe (did they tone the coffey back?)

The stick also has an area of about 6 inches at the top where it claims it can be cut without altering the flex, meaning if I cut it, it would still be at 95 flex, so I thought this would actually end up being perfect for me (though after cutting it, it does feel a bit stiffer than my old sticks, so not sure how true this is).

I've only used it once, so I don't have a great feel for it yet. The blades a bit smaller and I was having trouble feeling the sweet spot on one timers. The stick is also quite pingy and I'm feeling most of the vibrations on my shots - I'm hoping that goes away once I get used to the slightly different lie and pattern.

For anyone that cares about the aesthetics, I think it looks fantastic - matte black with dark grey SHERWOOD across it - there's not much going on and that's how I like it.

Balance: great.
Extremely lightweight: check
puck feel: decent - doesn't compare to the one95 but not many things do. stick handling actually felt quite good but the stick was quite pingy when receiving passes and taking one timers. I'm hoping I just need to find that sweet spot.
shot: average, slightly pingy. the stick may be a bit stiff for me. I'll be able to update this better once I get a few more sessions in me.

The only con I have right now is the lack of vibration reduction, though it claims to have great vib. red. as one of its selling points. I'm hoping it's a ME issue and I'm not finding the sweet spot on the slightly smaller blade (The blade does appear to be incredibly stiff compared to other brands - good? bad? time will tell)

Is anyone else using this stick? What have your experiences been?

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for the review!

I am thinking about picking this stick up.

I currently use an 85 flex T90 (Coffey) and love it. The sticks only downfalls are one timers (due to Coffey curve) and blade feels a bit stiff. Other than that It's one of my favorite sticks.

When I pick up the Nexon Ill probably go for a 75 flex. I played around with them in the store one day and the 85 felt about as stiff as my T90. The 75 flex felt nice to me. Similar to my last 85 flex CCM U+ (which was amazing for snapshots), Is where the 75 flex Nexon felt.

Anyone else tried this stick?

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I use the N10's as I get them for about $80 bucks, I used T90's before as well. It is a really good stick, can't complain about it. Its pretty light and feels good. I use to use One 90's and expensive sticks like that and I don't really see the difference. You can either shoot the puck or you can't, having a different stick isnt going to do much for you. Another way you can look at it is that an $100 stick now would have been like $300's a few years ago.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
After breaking a Supreme TotalOne after just two months, I decided I'd try to find a stick that could come close in performance for less money. I use an intermediate, so my options are fairly limited, and my search led me to the new Sherwood Nexon n12, which retails for around $170 here in the U.S. I think I paid around $220 or $230 for the TotalOne.

It seems as though very few people at the rink and here on HF have tried the new line of Sherwoods, so here are some thoughts:
  • In terms of weight, the n12 is comparable to the highest-end Bauers.
  • I'm happy with the balance, but I may not be experienced enough with various sticks to know when balance is off.
  • It feels a bit flimsy, which makes me think durability may be a problem, but I have no way to know exept to play with it, as I've only used it for three games so far.
  • Blade pattern choice is pretty limited, with only two choices at most retailers I've seen.
  • So far, I really like it. I had a great tournament over the weekend using the n12 for the first time, I scored a bunch, and my shot with the n12 is indistinguishable from my shot with the TotalOne, and the One95 and X:60 I used before it.

In short, I like the feel and performance of the n12, and I recommend it on all levels except for durability. I just haven't had it long enough to comment on that. It seems like a competitive stick at a significantly lower price point than high end sticks from the major stick manufacturers.

Last edited by a moderator:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
That's a very fair assessment. Let us know how it works out; reviews have almost always been positive so far. (Guess I threw in some bias in there but w/e)

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I have heard good things as well. The only issue I have is the same thing you mentioned, which is the lack of blade choices at my LHS. Usually they only have Ryan & Coffey.

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Sherwood makes pretty good sticks. I was also using more expensive sticks ($2-300) and finally became fed up breaking them so often.

I finally went out and bought the Sherwood N10 which is a really good stick. I paid around $80 bucks for it. I find that I actually like it better, and that it is more durable.

I ended up buying 3 of them so I dont have to worry about them for a while.

Honestly, you can either shoot or you can't, the most important thing is the feel of the stick. If you like the feel of a $10 wood one then go with that. If you think that a $300 stick feels the best for you then get that.

I would reccomended looking at the N10 though (never tried the N12, but I would assume its pretty similar). Its an affordable stick that performs well.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I had an N10 and really liked it although, as mentioned, it felt pretty "flimsy".

Last week, I scored probably my nicest two goals ever with it, and then broke it during a collision with an opponent! :rant:

I'll probably go with a lower-end (cheaper) stick next time.. because I just started hockey last year and I'm not good enough to really see much difference between price points.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I had an N10 and really liked it although, as mentioned, it felt pretty "flimsy".

Last week, I scored probably my nicest two goals ever with it, and then broke it during a collision with an opponent! :rant:

I'll probably go with a lower-end (cheaper) stick next time.. because I just started hockey last year and I'm not good enough to really see much difference between price points.

haha, would you rather the stick break or the bones it came in contact with?

Sticks have to break as per certification standards

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Definitely the best bang for your buck on the market imo. You can't beat it for the price. As for the curve's there's also a Stastny curve

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Update: The stick is performing well with only cosmetic signs of wear so far. Strangely, after about a month of use I started to hear stuff moving around inside the stick. A coupe of days ago I took the cap off and turned it over, and several strands of clear plastic came out. It looked like long grass, but clear. I assume it's the internal lining.

The performance hasn't noticeably changed, but I was kind of weirded out by the plastic stuff.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It was pretty flimsy. Not like plastic wrap, but easily bendable without breaking. I think I've seen similar material lining Bauer sticks, but that stuff didn't come off and start floating around internally.

Again, the performance seems unchanged, so it's no real bother or problem. Just a mystery to me.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'd have to think it's from the bladder mold. It probably wasn't properly removed and stuck to the inside. It helps to have uniform walls for durability and performance. Shouldn't have any impact at all, like the little bits of glue/epoxy that sometimes are left over from construction.

bp spec

Jun 7, 2010
What kind of kickpoint does it have? Mid like the TotalOne? Or mid/low like the APX?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Update: 3 months after purchase, playing 2-3 times per week, the toe is disintegrating. It's still playable, but I think it won't be for long. I've been going through sticks quickly lately, so it has done better than the TotalOne, but three months still isn't as long as I'd like a stick to last.

I have another one that I haven't touched yet, so when my first one goes I'll obviously switch to that.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Just grabbed one of these... looking forward to using it on Sunday
I've had mine for about 2 1/2 months now I guess and while playing once a week at a fairly good level I don't see any noticeable breaking points other than some marks on the blade and shaft from slashes. I've also noticed the low kick point a lot in some cases and really like it.

AcidJazz

Feb 23, 2012
It's very cold here.
I also wouldn't mind an update to this thread. I'm thinking about this stick or the T100. What are the differences? I know the T100 has a mid kick and the n12 has a low kick. It's hard to find anything on the T100. What is the weight / balanced like? Durability?

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I also wouldn't mind an update to this thread. I'm thinking about this stick or the T100. What are the differences? I know the T100 has a mid kick and the n12 has a low kick. It's hard to find anything on the T100. What is the weight / balanced like? Durability?
They both feel very similar and are impressive sticks for 179 price range. Like you said the T100 is a mid kick while the N12 is a low kick which is basically the main thing I'd go off of if you're down to those 2 in particular. Other than that they are similar feeling sticks. The N12 has the concave shaft for your fingers to just of gel into and I'm not positive the T100 has that but I believe it is similar.

AcidJazz

Feb 23, 2012
It's very cold here.
They both feel very similar and are impressive sticks for 179 price range. Like you said the T100 is a mid kick while the N12 is a low kick which is basically the main thing I'd go off of if you're down to those 2 in particular. Other than that they are similar feeling sticks. The N12 has the concave shaft for your fingers to just of gel into and I'm not positive the T100 has that but I believe it is similar.

Thanks man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad