Sheldon Keefe - Potential Jack Adams Trophy Nominee?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
...... of course as could many other coaches at this moment whose team hasnt completely s'''' the bed. Anything can happen at this point in the season.... keefe could still end up being the worst coach in the league too.

Yes much too early.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The Jack Adams always goes to the coach of the most over-achieving team. The Leafs are too good on paper. They should be a top team.

That's a good point. I think we can all agree that it's just nice to see this team playing to their ability without a coach getting in his own way - and the crazy thing is this might just be the proverbial tip of the iceberg

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Even being a nominee could be tough since the Leafs were a playoff team last season. I expect the eventual winner to be from a team that missed the playoffs last season but will make them this season. The turnaround under Keefe has been something though.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Way too early to even be discussing this IMO-

As great as the Leafs are under Keefe, they are barely in a playoff spot as is, get back to me when they secure a spot. If they can make the dance, given the shit show that was this early season under Babs, then yes I think he deserves some heavy discussion about winning a jack adams.

I liken this situation to this- Its like a 747 going down hard towards the Atlantic Ocean due to the pilot having a medical issue, and the guy besides him with no experience flying has to take over and get the plane landed safely without any casualties/injuries. Babcock's leafs were crashing hard, nosediving to a lottery position and in severe danger of missing the playoffs, so they fire him and bring in a very inexperienced guy to come in during a nose dive being expected to get the Leafs to do a complete 180'.

Keefe has a tall order ahead of him just to get this team INTO the playoffs, if he can pull off that miracle, then by all means he is well deserving of being in the consideration of a Jack Adams award.. until then..... no.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Way too early to even be discussing this IMO-

As great as the Leafs are under Keefe, they are barely in a playoff spot as is, get back to me when they secure a spot. If they can make the dance, given the **** show that was this early season under Babs, then yes I think he deserves some heavy discussion about winning a jack adams.

I liken this situation to this- Its like a 747 going down hard towards the Atlantic Ocean due to the pilot having a medical issue, and the guy besides him with no experience flying has to take over and get the plane landed safely without any casualties/injuries. Babcock's leafs were crashing hard, nosediving to a lottery position and in severe danger of missing the playoffs, so they fire him and bring in a very inexperienced guy to come in during a nose dive being expected to get the Leafs to do a complete 180'.

Keefe has a tall order ahead of him just to get this team INTO the playoffs, if he can pull off that miracle, then by all means he is well deserving of being in the consideration of a Jack Adams award.. until then..... no.
They have a spot right now with all the talent and momentum. Playoffs are no longer an uphill battle.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Way too early but obviously whatever he’s doing is working.

Has it been won on less than a full season before?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He's obviously a favourite at this point in the season. How could he not be? He'll obviously have to continue his success, but if he does, I can't imagine he won't be the favourite.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
They have a spot right now with all the talent and momentum. Playoffs are no longer an uphill battle.

For now they do, and yes its still an up hill battle. Don't let the points right now fool you, we'll need about 100 points for a divisional spot, 95ish for a wc spot one.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
For now they do, and yes its still an up hill battle. Don't let the points right now fool you, we'll need about 100 points for a divisional spot, 95ish for a wc spot one.
We're also second in the division right now in both total points and point percentage. Making the playoffs is the expectation

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I couldn't care less

Just have the team playing to its potential and be in a position to win something

The rest is just white noise to me

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
We're also second in the division right now in both total points and point percentage. Making the playoffs is the expectation

It always was with this talented roster.

Dubas’ test will come in the playoffs.

I don’t think there is any way that Keefe goes from Media darling to Goathorns in this season.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If (and this is a very big IF) the Leafs go on a major run in the 2nd half and win the division, Keefe would have to be a top contender. I mean that's one easy comparison of coaching performance between Babcock and Keefe with no personnel changes. I mean how can he not win it under those circumstances? Still a long way to go and the odds are stacked against him, but stranger things have happened.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019

Ok lets try some basic math here then for this to sink in

To secure 3rd in the division- Lets assume the cut off is 100 points. We have 44 points in 38 games (95pt clip so far), we would need to get 56 points in 44 games (105 pt pace) the rest of the way. Seems well within reason right? This is where it gets complex so bear with me here! Several things would need to go right, which are a) Andersen would need to stay healthy and get a career high in wins at 41 b) we'd need Hutch to get at least 4-5 more wins in his remaining starts c) no more major losing streaks.

While the Leafs expectations going into this season were not just a playoff birth, but a deep run, possibly a cup. Now given our horseshit start, squeaking into the playoffs would be quite the feat, lets not even worry about a deep run at this stage given where were at.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
To secure 3rd in the division- Lets assume the cut off is 100 points. We have 44 points in 38 games (95pt clip so far), we would need to get 56 points in 44 games (105 pt pace) the rest of the way.

you do realise that every team below us in the standings needs to accomplish an even greater feat, right? Even the whole spiel about potential injuries. Turns out that’s a risk for all other teams as well.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
you do realise that every team below us in the standings needs to accomplish an even greater feat, right? Even the whole spiel about potential injuries. Turns out that’s a risk for all other teams as well.

A lot of the teams have game in hands on us, and pretty much all teams have a lot better backups then we do.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
A lot of the teams have game in hands on us, and pretty much all teams have a lot better backups then we do.
Again....the Leafs have a better winning % than any team not named Boston in the division.

How many times does this have to be repeated?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The Jack Adams always goes to the coach of the most over-achieving team. The Leafs are too good on paper. They should be a top team.

The leafs are not overachieving. They are simply where they need to be.

Keefe won't be top 3.

They're #1 in the league under Keefe. I don't think many people expected that, even with this stacked roster.

We'll see how the rest of the year goes.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
completely agree, Babcock's ego was a problem and will continue to be for whoever signs him next, he's only ever won with teams that were supposed to. Keefe just seems to be putting guys in roles that suit them, and honestly how many teams win cups where you look at the roster and don't see them as contender level...to me the blueprint is very obvious: get a lot of talent, ride that talent, make minor corrections along the way on things like breakout/PP/PK structure, most of which the players will do on their own if you show them where things aren't working on tape

I agree with what you say but you can tell by keefes tactics he is a bright coach. His in game adjustments and tactics so far are imo exceptional.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

their point% is worse than ours. They are legit behind us in record. They have to win more than we do to get to the same spot.
Despite having “better backups”, they are behind us now and have to accomplish more than us the rest of the way to even “squeak into” the playoffs. All of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad