Sheldon Keefe - Potential Jack Adams Trophy Nominee?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I know it's early, but if the Leafs continue their current trajectory since Keefe took over at the helm and make the playoffs, I think Keefe deserves a nomination. Depending on where we finish in the standings, he could be deserving of winning the award outright.

The immediate turnaround in the last month has been nothing short of remarkable, considering that the team was in absolute shambles at the time.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
The leafs are not overachieving. They are simply where they need to be.

Keefe won't be top 3.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The players were miserable under Babcock. They didn't believe in his system, or lack thereof. They didn't agree with his player personnel choices. They didn't like his coaching methods. Babcock's time was up.

Just about any new coach would likely see an improved attitude, and improved performance, from the players.

Now, if the team contiues to excel, and gets better and better, over time, then just maybe Keefe should be considered for an award.

Reactions: Rogie

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
These trophies are pretty much entirely biased, uninformed, "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" awards, and they're pretty meaningless.

So, in my biased, uninformed, meaningless opinion, Keefe has done a ton lately, and I think he should win. :sarcasm:

im pretty sure trotz's name is already written on the trophy for this year
Probably not when his "defensive system" gets exposed for the good goaltending it is.

Reactions: Ashdown2

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
the story is off to a good start to get him in to the voting, but premature. This could be a memory of "remember when we thought everything was good 15 games into Keefe's tenure" by the end of the season, or it could be a "woah, Keefe was really able to get something out of this team that his HOF predecessor wasn't". Have to see where the story goes

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
the story is off to a good start to get him in to the voting, but premature. This could be a memory of "remember when we thought everything was good 15 games into Keefe's tenure" by the end of the season, or it could be a "woah, Keefe was really able to get something out of this team that his HOF predecessor wasn't". Have to see where the story goes

Yea, HOF for douches maybe.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I'm not even sure Keefe is all that great of a coach. This is a really good team, and Keefe at least just isn't obsessed with himself and his ego, so he is able to do the obvious. Like, play Matthews and Marner together. Who could have possibly guessed that might work? :sarcasm:

It's going to take time, and some ups and downs before we know what Keefe is really about.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Why? Do you think he will get the award for the same exact thing he got it for last season?

Vigneault seems like he would be a good candidate half way through. Reirdon, Bedner and Sullivan should get consideration as well as Trotz.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm not even sure Keefe is all that great of a coach. This is a really good team, and Keefe at least just isn't obsessed with himself and his ego, so he is able to do the obvious. Like, play Matthews and Marner together. Who could have possibly guessed that might work? :sarcasm:

It's going to take time, and some ups and downs before we know what Keefe is really about.
completely agree, Babcock's ego was a problem and will continue to be for whoever signs him next, he's only ever won with teams that were supposed to. Keefe just seems to be putting guys in roles that suit them, and honestly how many teams win cups where you look at the roster and don't see them as contender level...to me the blueprint is very obvious: get a lot of talent, ride that talent, make minor corrections along the way on things like breakout/PP/PK structure, most of which the players will do on their own if you show them where things aren't working on tape

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015

Trotz' Islanders have won 23 out of 35 (.657% winning rate) but Keefes Leafs have won 11 out of 15 (.733% winning rate) so let's see how things work out, the Leafs still have 3 games before their second half of the season starts.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Wouldn't even be surprised if he's not nominated for it. Babcock coached the life out of this team. I think anyone could have done a better job and that's not meant to take away anything from Keefe, but look at the names up and down the roster. There's no reason this team should have looked so slow and boring to start the year.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
We will see how the year progresses, but I’d imagine he’s a nominee or in the conversation. I think a guy like Vigneault is more deserving given the team.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If the Leafs maintain this pace he should get consideration.

But this is WAY too early to be talking about this. Teams still haven't fully adjusted to Keefe's game plan. There are still 44 games left to play.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Extremely tough given he started late, but if this continues, he should at least be in the conversation.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don't think you reward a win streak with a Jack Adams award. A quick example.

Last year over the Christmas and New Year period, the team went 3-7-0 for a total of 6 points and Babcock was not fired.

This year, the team went 3-5-2 for 8 points in its last 10 and Babcock was fired.

In the next 15 games following last year's slump, the team's record was 10-3-2 for 22 points. Babcock changed virtually nothing. Slumps come and go. Players perform.

In the next 15 games this year following the slump, the team's record is 11-4 for 22 points. There's a healthy Marner and a stellar run of games by Freddy underneath it.

Talent performing and health largely determine success.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
A supreme talent injection and performance fueled the Leafs from a Worst to Playoff spot finish. Similar talk about Babcock was clearly silly.

Babcock could finally add Jack Adams Award to packed trophy case - Sportsnet.ca

A Jack Adams for Mike Babcock

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/mike-babcock-finalist-jack-adams-award-1.4088433

Maple Leafs’ Mike Babcock has claim on Jack Adams Award | The Star

He didn't change much from the worst to playoff spot. What changed were talented players playing up to their potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad