Confirmed with Link: Shean Donovan hired as Player Development Consultant,Jason Smith promoted to coaching

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Richardson, Smith, Donovan... no coaching experience (or very little) getting in only because they played for Ottawa...

Seems bush league to me instead of hiring real coaches.

Bush league?

Richardson has been solid in Bingo, good coach with a ton of hockey knowledge.

Smith has been part of the coaching staff since he retired a few years ago.

Where do you think they should start coaching the Kanata Blazers novice group?

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
100% agree with this. I think people are being a little dismissive of the role Richardson and Sterling had in turning around Ceci and Puempel's development.

Richardson seemed to do a great job with Ceci based on Ceci's rookie play, and Puempel looks to be coming along nicely, but what is this "turning around" phrasing? I don't really recall a time when either prospect, since they've been in Sens hands, where they were trending downward.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So people are crapping on 2 guys that have played about a 1,000 games in the NHL?

Maybe, just maybe, these guys know a thing or two about hockey?

As long as the organization hired them because they truly believe Donovan and Smith will do a great job in their roles. Then it's perfectly fine.

If they were hired primarily because of Ottawa connections, then it's a worry.

Of course, we're all on the outside looking in, so none of us really know for sure what the hiring process focused on.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
#Sens HC Paul Maclean has confirmed that new assistant coach Jason Smith will be on the bench. Mark Reeds will be the eye in the sky.

So basically they flipped spots. Gator was the eye in the sky all last year.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Dono, along with Van Allen, Dean-o-mac, Eves and Sharko have been among my favourite all-time sens. Don't know if he's qualified, but respect the guy and really hope he does well.

By the way, why don't we throw Pierre McGuire a job? Guy is better than 95% of hockey brass right now. No idea why he hasn't been grabbed up yet. hard to argue he doesnt deserve at least an assistant spot.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
By the way, why don't we throw Pierre McGuire a job? Guy is better than 95% of hockey brass right now. No idea why he hasn't been grabbed up yet. hard to argue he doesnt deserve at least an assistant spot.

I doubt he leaves his sweet TV spot unless it's for a premium job in the NHL like GM. Not sure if it's an ego thing or a job-security thing, but I don't blame him. He's got a nice niche worked out for him right now.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Dono, along with Van Allen, Dean-o-mac, Eves and Sharko have been among my favourite all-time sens. Don't know if he's qualified, but respect the guy and really hope he does well.

There are articles out there about how McGuires coaching career ended. Suffice it to say, he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Bush league?

Richardson has been solid in Bingo, good coach with a ton of hockey knowledge.

Smith has been part of the coaching staff since he retired a few years ago.

Where do you think they should start coaching the Kanata Blazers novice group?

No, juniors. At the very least ECHL/AHL if you want them in the org so bad.

If any former Sen should get a job, it's Peter Schaefer. At least he has some coaching experience now

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

If any former Sen should get a job, it's Peter Schaefer. At least he has some coaching experience now

Schaefer's running a BCHL team.

That somehow trumps the good job Richardson has done in Bingo?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There are articles out there about McGuires coaching career ended. Suffice it to say, he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Yeah....after you posted that I did a quick google....wow. I'm guessing his time in Hartford is something he keeps off the resume. Dude sounds more explosive than Torts at his worst.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Richardson seemed to do a great job with Ceci based on Ceci's rookie play, and Puempel looks to be coming along nicely, but what is this "turning around" phrasing? I don't really recall a time when either prospect, since they've been in Sens hands, where they were trending downward.

I do recall a point where Ceci was playing like garbage in the OHL before he went to Bingo, but that may have been a reflection of the terrible team he was on. Remember the whole thing about MacLean being very unimpressed with his play?

Also, Puempel was a big question mark for a while as well. Wasn't there a concern about work ethic at one point? I don't remember exactly though.

In any case, the I remember the organization had a few concerns over these guys at some point. Not saying all the praise should go to Richardson, though. I have no idea what his influence was.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So basically they flipped spots. Gator was the eye in the sky all last year.

So, I wonder if this means that Reed's illness is making it difficult to continue as the bench coach going forward and that Smith's promotion means that Reeds is being assigned less onerous duties as a result.

I did like how Smith played defence and used one arm to straight arm opponents in one shoulder to knock them off balance and down. I saw Borowiecki use that technique a little last year and would like to see some other Ds use it too. Having Smith, a former defenceman on the bench is a good thing to help our young D men develop.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I doubt he leaves his sweet TV spot unless it's for a premium job in the NHL like GM. Not sure if it's an ego thing or a job-security thing, but I don't blame him. He's got a nice niche worked out for him right now.

The "New Don Cherry"! :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

If i recall correctly, i think there may have been some issues with Schaefer.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
So, I wonder if this means that Reed's illness is making it difficult to continue as the bench coach going forward and that Smith's promotion means that Reeds is being assigned less onerous duties as a result.

I did like how Smith played defence and used one arm to straight arm opponents in one shoulder to knock them off balance and down. I saw Borowiecki use that technique a little last year and would like to see some other Ds use it too. Having Smith, a former defenceman on the bench is a good thing to help our young D men develop.

One of them should be Phillips job this year.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa

I'd rather let the guy who served as a captain in the NHL for nearly a decade on two teams have a shot at coaching than the guy who ended up a washout after leaving Ottawa and has some minor experience as President of a minor team.

But that's just me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad