Confirmed with Link: Shean Donovan hired as Player Development Consultant,Jason Smith promoted to coaching

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I read through the thread - looks like we don't have a solid answer on this yet and I hope the OP is updated when there's a definite:

Who was fired to make room or are these new job creations?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I like Luke, but it's a gamble to bring in guys who have done nothing at lower levels. You don't know if they're good coaches or not. No problem with paying your dues and proving you're good at the job first.

I don't see Donovan or Smith in Binghamton.

I have to agree with this.

It may be the 'in' thing to bring in former players to a bunch of other roles after they retire, but the top priority should be bringing in the best person for the job. If these two are in fact the best two people around for those positions, then great.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Luke Richardson is incredibly overrated on our board. Seems to be doing a decent job, but every third post here tags him as some player development guru... but where the hell are all these amazing players on our incredibly mediocre rosters? Maybe one day we can discuss his miracle working, but not yet.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I have to agree with this.

It may be the 'in' thing to bring in former players to a bunch of other roles after they retire, but the top priority should be bringing in the best person for the job. If these two are in fact the best two people around for those positions, then great.

So...

PaddockJohnheadshot.jpg

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone who knows anything about Donovan is that he is a training beast. He was acclaimed for his conditioning work with the 67s.

You either take advantage of the fact that he's in your backyard or you watch another team hire him and we whine about why the Sens didn't give him a job.

As for Gator...he's been with the staff for years. He's put in his time.

Funny how suddenly Richardson is "overrated". People were crapping themselves when Timmy went to Buffalo because we were going to lose Luke. He's had a tremendous affect in Bingo and we are lucky to have him coaching our prospects into NHL-caliber players. How many teams have 3rd and higher round picks actually on their roster?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Our defence sucks...bring in Paddock...still sucks?....bring in Hartsburg....Too much defence, bring in clouston? HE's AWESOME!...Oh wait I mean he sucks...bring in Maclean....The messiah! Errr....What's Marshy up to?

Truth be told, Murray has been the only guy behind the bench that I've had much confidence in since Martin. He's the only guy that could get a consistent effort from this team. (Maclean got one year followed by a stinker last season).

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Our defence sucks...bring in Paddock...still sucks?....bring in Hartsburg....Too much defence, bring in clouston? HE's AWESOME!...Oh wait I mean he sucks...bring in Maclean....The messiah! Errr....What's Marshy up to?

Truth be told, Murray has been the only guy behind the bench that I've had much confidence in since Martin. He's the only guy that could get a consistent effort from this team. (Maclean got one year followed by a stinker last season).

Did you magically forget the year before when Maclean was nominated for the Jack Adam's...?

Look at the personal Murray had versus what Maclean has now. Murray had a still prime Phillips, a beastly Volchenkov, a still-good Redden, an upcoming Mezaros, and a playing-way-over-his-head Tom Preissing.

Maclean has Karlsson, Methot, an end-of-career Phillips and a bunch of kids.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Funny how suddenly Richardson is "overrated". People were crapping themselves when Timmy went to Buffalo because we were going to lose Luke. He's had a tremendous affect in Bingo and we are lucky to have him coaching our prospects into NHL-caliber players. How many teams have 3rd and higher round picks actually on their roster?

I would hate to lose Luke - I'm a a big fan - but let's not get crazy and praise him for developing NHL players when he hasn't yet. We're giving him credit before it is due. Right now it looks like, seems like, he's doing a good job, but it remains to be seen.

And as I've said before, I'm not too impressed by how many players a team has on their roster that they drafted and developed themselves when the team hasn't actually, you know, won anything with said players. But hey, that's just me.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011

That coaching graveyard is damning evidence against the culture of the players in the room. That's the storyline for me for the last fifteen years of Sens teams. One of the things I am most excited about is a return to pesky.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Did you magically forget the year before when Maclean was nominated for the Jack Adam's...?

Look at the personal Murray had versus what Maclean has now. Murray had a still prime Phillips, a beastly Volchenkov, a still-good Redden, an upcoming Mezaros, and a playing-way-over-his-head Tom Preissing.

Maclean has Karlsson, Methot, an end-of-career Phillips and a bunch of kids.

I don't blame the team for lacking talent, but I do blame them for not putting in a consistent effort and playing the game right. That I'm hanging on Maclean. It's not fair and it's not his fault, but it's his problem to fix.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Donovan was such a misused player with us...he was super solid...until that dirty Cooke knee

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Anyone who knows anything about Donovan is that he is a training beast. He was acclaimed for his conditioning work with the 67s.

You either take advantage of the fact that he's in your backyard or you watch another team hire him and we whine about why the Sens didn't give him a job.

As for Gator...he's been with the staff for years. He's put in his time.

100% agree with this. I think people are being a little dismissive of the role Richardson and Sterling had in turning around Ceci and Puempel's development.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Richardson, Smith, Donovan... no coaching experience (or very little) getting in only because they played for Ottawa...

Seems bush league to me instead of hiring real coaches.

Same. Are we supposed to believe that after a comprehensive process, these names revealed themselves as the best men for the jobs? And that it's a complete coincidence that they all have Ottawa connections?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for Smith in getting hired here. Guy was a good player during his time in the NHL. As to Richardson yes he'll be a NHL coach soon enough, maybe with the team, who knows?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Same. Are we supposed to believe that after a comprehensive process, these names revealed themselves as the best men for the jobs? And that it's a complete coincidence that they all have Ottawa connections?

Organization hires/signs people who want to be in Ottawa. That's how they do it now.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
So people are crapping on 2 guys that have played about a 1,000 games in the NHL?

Maybe, just maybe, these guys know a thing or two about hockey?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Give me the guys with long NHL careers over HF posters. Thanks

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Give me the guys with long NHL careers over HF posters. Thanks

AND they actually want to be here. There's literally nothing negative about these 2 hirings.

We've had guys in the org who "paid their dues" and had the right "credentials"; Craig Hartsburg, John Paddock, Cory Clouston...

The guys who managed to stick around for 1,000 NHL games obviously have a TON of experience and knowledge they can share with young players. It's almost like adding 2 vets to the team without actually wasting a roster spot.

All Jason needs to do to get some of the kids to suck it up, stop making excuses and play hard is to show them this picture:

jason_smith_gootogo.jpg

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I like the Richardson signing, but I wouldn't mind a new coach to run that god awful powerplay.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
You and MAK.... :rolleyes:

That's one interpretation...or...they were brought in near the end of their careers so the team could evaluate what type of people they were, evaluate how they were in the room, evaluate work habits and work ethic, evaluate hockey smarts, evaluate people skills, understand their desire to coach etc. Maybe they liked what they saw and in an effort to keep the organization running smoothly brought them in to gain some experience.

Given that people do leave organizations it was time for a promotion to continue the progression...

Just an alternate reality to "this is all we could get"...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That coaching graveyard is damning evidence against the culture of the players in the room. That's the storyline for me for the last fifteen years of Sens teams. One of the things I am most excited about is a return to pesky.

I agree. And the person responsible for the coaching musical chairs was . . . B. Murray!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I read through the thread - looks like we don't have a solid answer on this yet and I hope the OP is updated when there's a definite:

Who was fired to make room or are these new job creations?

Well Reeds had health concerns near the end of the year so he might be sidelined for the time being

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad