Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thats the issue I have with him. Can he keep up is the question.

Nothing new with Weber. His game has been the same since his 1st NHL game. Yeah, the game is getting faster but Weber is not getting slower. That is a myth. Weber's style is smart positioning, being physical in his own end (especially in front of the net), and he is a goal scoring machine where not many other Dman can match him.

Ask the Leafs if they would want him in front of their own net protecting Andersen... it's actually what they are missing and it's a valuable asset to have.

Concerned about him not being the same after his surgery's? It's somewhat valid but were talking about the exception to the rule vs the rule. Most come back fine and he's 33, not 37. I think we get 4 or possibly 5 more years from him and similar production close to his career stats. 45 pts and 20 goals (+/-). His 30+ stats are on par to his career stats and there has been zero evidence of major decline. That concern should be talked about at 35+, not at 33.

Reactions: jaffy27

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Nothing new with Weber. His game has been the same since his 1st NHL game. Yeah, the game is getting faster but Weber is not getting slower. That is a myth. Weber's style is smart positioning, being physical in his own end (especially in front of the net), and he is a goal scoring machine where not many other Dman can match him.

Ask the Leafs if they would want him in front of their own net protecting Andersen... it's actually what they are missing and it's a valuable asset to have.

Concerned about him not being the same after his surgery's? It's somewhat valid but were talking about the exception to the rule vs the rule. Most come back fine and he's 33, not 37. I think we get 4 or possibly 5 more years from him and similar production close to his career stats. 45 pts and 20 goals (+/-). His 30+ stats are on par to his career stats and there has been zero evidence of major decline. That concern should be talked about at 35+, not at 33.

Care to list off players that had tendon surgery in their foot and then a meniscus tear repaired that were the rule? I think you are just putting hopeful spin on a cliche. No one knows if he will be the same or if he will be slower.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Care to list off players that had tendon surgery in their foot and then a meniscus tear repaired that were the rule? I think you are just putting hopeful spin on a cliche. No one knows if he will be the same or if he will be slower.

The foot surgery is way more rare than the knee surgery. So the concerns on the foot are valid cause it's rare and the Habs had to find a specialized surgeon for this type of operation. The knee? I'll flip it on you... care to list off players that came back and was not the same? Markov didn't miss a step when he came back after his surgery in 2012.

The issue is set backs and he has not had any yet. It's a positive sign and he is closer to the end of the 4-5 month recovery range.

The other thing to note about the foot is he played for a while with this nagging injury where none of us knew he was playing hurt and his stats were very good. The doctor would have screw this up by a lot to make it worse and not better.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I think the hockey became even faster with the enforcement of slashes to the hands. It allowed faster and skilled players that much more freedom to skate without being held back. We'll see what happens this year, it's early, but analysts like LeBrun and Maguire are saying it's even faster, and scoring is way up. They were also saying how Bowmeester at 35 is not as effective, and he was a great skater.

For me, Weber's ability to recover from injury is a huge concern. But his ability to play in the ever changing, faster NHL is also just as huge of a concern, especially 2 years from now, when he turns 35, and going forward from then as he's under contract at a huge cap hit until he's 40.
J bo relied on skating. He's average otherwise. They are vastly different

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Those who continue to try to bring in Subban debates into this thread will be threadbanned and or infracted. Move on folks...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
J bo relied on skating. He's average otherwise. They are vastly different

True, but others will say if you can skate you'll have a longer career, unless you have skills like Jagr.

At any rate, if you want to tell yourself there is no way Weber won't be good until he's 40, or even 36 or 37, go ahead.

Routs

Dec 17, 2011
Funny how guys write Weber off as too slow all the time. Yes, he's not a speedster but he is smart in his approach to the game and is one of the most reliable guys to have down low in your own end. You don't often see him have to skate hard, simply because he doesn't need to waste energy due to knowing how to be in the right place.

This isn't a guy that gets blown over like Souray did in his prime. This is a guy who has foundational hockey skills above most on the defensive side of the puck.

You mix that with a defenseman in today's game that can pot you 15+ goals a season and it is fairly rare. I look forward to what this guy can do with a young, speedy, intense team up front.

I have zero worries on how Weber will be after returning.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Funny how guys write Weber off as too slow all the time. Yes, he's not a speedster but he is smart in his approach to the game and is one of the most reliable guys to have down low in your own end. You don't often see him have to skate hard, simply because he doesn't need to waste energy due to knowing how to be in the right place.

This isn't a guy that gets blown over like Souray did in his prime. This is a guy who has foundational hockey skills above most on the defensive side of the puck.

You mix that with a defenseman in today's game that can pot you 15+ goals a season and it is fairly rare. I look forward to what this guy can do with a young, speedy, intense team up front.

I have zero worries on how Weber will be after returning.

Weber's like the lockness monster. Nobody really has seen or heard from him in what seems like years. I just remember how he used to clap those slappers into defenders pads and off gallys hand. If your arguing he's not slow well he's definitely not quick.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Routs

Dec 17, 2011
Weber's like the lockness monster. Nobody really has seen or heard from him in what seems like years. I just remember how he used to clap those slappers into defenders pads and off gallys hand. If your arguing he's not slow well he's definitely not quick.
And yet in the last full season he played, he was tied for second in goals by a defenseman. So a lot of those shots off of "defender's pads" still found a way in...

No one ever said he was quick. Just that he wasn't slow. He's the perfect cornerstone defenseman for the tenacious, speedy forwards we have now. Plus matching him up with the surprising Reilly will make for a great pairing that will pot goals, drive the play forward and keep players away from our net.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
And yet in the last full season he played, he was tied for second in goals by a defenseman. So a lot of those shots off of "defender's pads" still found a way in...

No one ever said he was quick. Just that he wasn't slow. He's the perfect cornerstone defenseman for the tenacious, speedy forwards we have now. Plus matching him up with the surprising Reilly will make for a great pairing that will pot goals, drive the play forward and keep players away from our net.

When was the last time he played? Everyone's argument for him is about his time with nashville when he apparently was decent.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
When was the last time he played? Everyone's argument for him is about his time with nashville when he apparently was decent.

He played a season here for us DUH. 17 goals and 42 points. One of Prices last decent seasons and the team won its division.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
This team is missing his shot from the point. There isn't any one who can really shoot from the point right now. Not just the PP even 5 v 5. Webers point shot will help with the cycle game and forcheck in the offensive zone as it will give the team another legitimate weapon.

We basically get no offense from our D so adding in a guy who can score 17-20 from back there is going to give the habs an extra option for the attack.

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
This team is missing his shot from the point. There isn't any one who can really shoot from the point right now. Not just the PP even 5 v 5. Webers point shot will help with the cycle game and forcheck in the offensive zone as it will give the team another legitimate weapon.

We basically get no offense from our D so adding in a guy who can score 17-20 from back there is going to give the habs an extra option for the attack.
Just his presence on the PP creates room for the rest of the team. Gotta respect that shot or he'll make you pay.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just his presence on the PP creates room for the rest of the team. Gotta respect that shot or he'll make you pay.

I'm glad the pp finally switched to having the points on their respective one-timer sides. Although Petry's shot isn't Weber's, he's still got a good shot. And, Petry is more mobile than Weber. It will be interesting to see how much, if at all Weber helps the 1st unit of the pp. Sure, he will score with his one timer. But will he make the pp have less flow? Last year with Galchenyuk on the right half wall and Petry and Drouin at the points, we had one of the best pp's in the league because of the puck movement - when they finally put Chucky in the right spot. Chucky was underrated on the pp.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Why is everyone convinced the PP will be better with Weber? It was substantially better last year when Weber got hurt and Petry took over, because even the best point shot in the world is less effective than an OK shooter from 30ft closer. The Habs have always struggled with this, Souray then Subban then Weber. If they have a good point shot they just can't stop themselves from running the entire PP through telegraphed point shots.

Petry is also a perfectly fine shooter, he's not a generational shooter like Weber but he shoots fine and teams have to respect it. The problem is there's no Galchenyuk on the right side as a shooting threat so teams can just focus the Drouin-Petry area and they're not very worried about Max Domi shooting.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm glad the pp finally switched to having the points on their respective one-timer sides. Although Petry's shot isn't Weber's, he's still got a good shot. And, Petry is more mobile than Weber. It will be interesting to see how much, if at all Weber helps the 1st unit of the pp. Sure, he will score with his one timer. But will he make the pp have less flow? Last year with Galchenyuk on the right half wall and Petry and Drouin at the points, we had one of the best pp's in the league because of the puck movement - when they finally put Chucky in the right spot. Chucky was underrated on the pp.
Well Petry isn't cutting it right now that's for sure. We need a guy who can shoot. Having Petry as the main threat isn't enough. Petry s shot is OK but he's never in a good spot, doesn't utilize screens effectively and doesn't really draw pkers towards him. I have no doubt that he'll have a massive impact on the PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad