Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I always thought it was a measure of who best followed our system to chip the puck up the glass to the neutral zone where the other team graciously accepted the offering.
Considering that it was literally our transition game, I was left mouth-agape when the large intersection of Therrien-supporters used that stat against PK Subban/in favour of the trade. Talk about speaking out of both sides...

The GA stat is meaningless unless it takes into account TOI and strength of opposition vs teammates' stat. I'm willing to bet neither Subban nor Weber stuck out all that much, despite Subban's "risky" play and Weber's terrible puck skills.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Weber needs a puck moving partner to be most effective. Emelin has been a disaster for awhile now and is really dragging Weber down.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Weber needs a puck moving partner to be most effective. Emelin has been a disaster for awhile now and is really dragging Weber down.
The guy he replaced played with Gorges, Gill, even non-NHLer Frankie Bouillon. Weber needs a top2 d-man to look good and produce? What does that mean for our team? We can't allocate more money to the defense...

Forget what you're implying about Weber...

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The guy he replaced played with Gorges, Gill, even non-NHLer Frankie Bouillon. Weber needs a top2 d-man to look good and produce? What does that mean for our team? We can't allocate more money to the defense...

Forget what you're implying about Weber...

Unfortunately, it's pretty clear what it means for our team... been clear from the day the trade happened :cry:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's a good way of seeing which defensemen carry the puck the most; which should be viewed as a great thing.
Puck moving blueliners typically have higher givewaway stats but it's still can't be relied on when you have some arenas issuing a lot more than others.
Actually I think Emelin has looked pretty good with the puck. He's skating a lot better than he did before.
$8 million elite defensemen should be able to play with anyone, and make those around him better.
Well, we knew what we were trading for when we got him. He brings other things to the table apart from carrying the puck. Too bad Sergachev isn't ready because that might be a nice combo.
$8 million elite defensemen should be able to play with anyone, and make those around him better.
I agree. One thing to consider however is how many goals this guy racks up. That shot is ridiculous.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I agree. One thing to consider however is how many goals this guy racks up. That shot is ridiculous.
Sheldon Souray and Marc-Andre Bergeron had wicked shots and they pretty much carried our PPs when they were here. A killer slapshot is an awesome weapon. Just not at 8m.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sheldon Souray and Marc-Andre Bergeron had wicked shots and they pretty much carried our PPs when they were here. A killer slapshot is an awesome weapon. Just not at 8m.
Sheldon Souray was a huge liability on D though. Weber is at least steady back there.

As I've said before he's not nearly aggressive enough with the puck and his transition game is lacking but he at least helps defensively. Souray was pretty bad back there.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Weber and the D will be fine under Julien.

We are great in net.

OK on the wings.

We absolutely reek at center.

There is no mystery here.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I agree but I also think he needs to shed some 20lbs or so.
He hasn't shown to be the physical presence he was touted as. Indeed I found PK harder in the corners and just as effective boxing guys out Shea getting the advantage only in the Big Hit department.
We neutered PK in that department Therrien didn't like his FOG move where he would explode into opponents with his backside. :laugh:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I agree but I also think he needs to shed some 20lbs or so.
He hasn't shown to be the physical presence he was touted as. Indeed I found PK harder in the corners and just as effective boxing guys out Shea getting the advantage only in the Big Hit department.
We neutered PK in that department Therrien didn't like his FOG move where he would explode into opponents with his backside. :laugh:

That's where you need to draw the line between the reputation of a player an the player himself...

No matter what Weber has been touted as... He's never been the physical presence some expected him to be. Won't ever be either.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's where you need to draw the line between the reputation of a player an the player himself...

No matter what Weber has been touted as... He's never been the physical presence some expected him to be. Won't ever be either.
I've seen him destroy people when he was in Nashville. Haven't really seen it here though.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I've seen him destroy people when he was in Nashville. Haven't really seen it here though.

He has a couple big hits in Montréal as well. He's just not a Pronger or a Chara kind of guy that makes himself noticed on the ice every shift.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I rather have Roman Hamrlik than Weber at this point.

Seriously, Hamrlik before his decline was way better than Weber over the past 3 months.

I'm just hoping that whatever we saw in October returns. He must be injured, cuz I can't explain how bad he is sucking right now. It doesn't make sense that he would regress so drastically unless this is a yearly thing with him, which I don't think it is.

If he is injured, we have the problem of having to go on a massive win streak/making the playoffs + doing well in the playoffs. If we could rest him, we should. Unfortunately, we are in no position to, despite how useless he's been relative to his expected level.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
By the time Sergachev can play 1st pairing minutes adequately, and that's if that day ever comes, Weber might not even be a top pairing guy anymore.

Well then we would desperately need him on that top pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad