Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
He's getting on the scoreboard again.

Was his potential decline overblown? Seeing how Markov has held up (relatively) under Therrien's system, is it possible that Weber won't be falling off a cliff anytime soon? It's possible Laviolette's system was just not a good fit for his style of play and current skating ability.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He'll never be what Suhban was. End of story. Points are a plus with Shea and hopefully when we're healthy and half more options on the PP, his points won't be as low as when Chucky got hurt. His leadership and defence is what the team traded for.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
He'll never be what Suhban was. End of story. Points are a plus with Shea and hopefully when we're healthy and half more options on the PP, his points won't be as low as when Chucky got hurt. His leadership and defence is what the team traded for.

I doubt even Subban will ever be again what Subban was.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

at 8M per, points are not just a plus, for any dman.

Jul 6, 2016
at 8M per, points are not just a plus, for any dman.

What about "leadership" ? And being among the best, if not the best defensive d-man ? And being a veteran who has excelled in the last 10 years of work ? Still not enough fo you I guess.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Nothing to complain about this guy so far this year.

He was ice cold offensively for a dozen games or so but still a rock defensively in all but two or three of those games. Now on pace for 21 goals and 53 points.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The nice thing about players like Weber is that even when they're not producing offense they still bring a lot to the table. That's why complete players are so much more valuable than one dimensional players.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The nice thing about players like Weber is that even when they're not producing offense they still bring a lot to the table. That's why complete players are so much more valuable than one dimensional players.
The type of leader he is, rubs off on everyone...this guy is so much more than just points...

How about the man crush on him by LeBabs!!!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Weber's even better than I thought. I was skeptical because of the age gap.. But I'm not anymore. Great trade.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I noticed he has been jumping into the play far more often. Interesting thing about Weber is he puts up 50 points and close to 20 goals playing very conservative. I imagine if he was willing to take chances like a Burns or Subban he would pick up a few more points and could have a shot at 60.

As it stands today his offensive number are great - tied for 5th in D points and the best defender in that group.

Back in Norris contention for sure but Burns and Hedman are just lighting it up and voters will have to pick one of those 75 point guys.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The type of leader he is, rubs off on everyone...this guy is so much more than just points...

How about the man crush on him by LeBabs!!!

He's really something. You can see with all the injuries to key players he really stepped it up and the team did as well. Not to mention the effect on Patches and help him be a better leader too. Rads can't be downplayed either. With those two players, Bergevin completely reshape this team into a bunch of hard working, never give up winners. Look forward to seeing them in the playoffs!

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

And Subban will never be what Weber was. They're very different players.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Weber's pretty smart positionally. Doesn't depend on speed or mobility since those have never been areas of strength. He also doesn't play an incredibly bruising game; picks his spots. Bodes well for longevity.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Weber is here to help improve the young Dman that will be coming into the ranks in the next few years. He will help with leadership when Markov is done, Subban lacked those leadership skills and ability to improve his linemates and D core. Just look how better Emelin and Beaulieu are looking this year.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
If Weber was playing with a healthy, not in decline, Markov instead of Emelin.... I'm pretty sure we'd see very similar point totals as Subban's best years with Markov.

He's a great player and great leader. Hopefully he sticks around for a long time and continues to play at a high level.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Weber is here to help improve the young Dman that will be coming into the ranks in the next few years. He will help with leadership when Markov is done, Subban lacked those leadership skills and ability to improve his linemates and D core. Just look how better Emelin and Beaulieu are looking this year.

Thats a key point. We got Weber AND a better Emelin back in the trade. Not sure his impact on Nate but he also look dramatically improved, and Petry is playing the best hockey of his career and Markov looked 5 years younger. We moved one player and that whole d core looks significantly better. Likely had to do with Weber taking all the tough assignments.

And over in Nashville his old d partner doesn't look like a Norris contender anymore. Guess we know who was carrying who.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
have been saying all along that in the short term we should get the better end of the deal, very good defensively and among the top goal scoring defensemen each year. The only concern I have is down the road as the league is just getting quicker and quicker.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's getting on the scoreboard again.

Was his potential decline overblown? Seeing how Markov has held up (relatively) under Therrien's system, is it possible that Weber won't be falling off a cliff anytime soon? It's possible Laviolette's system was just not a good fit for his style of play and current skating ability.
Expect 50 points and 15-20 goals.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
With Subban back problems, I am not sure who will have the long term advantage. Discal hernia is a pretty serious condition for an athlete in a contact sport like hockey.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Tbh, Subban peaked in 2013 through 2015.

Hes probably never gonna reach that level again.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
40 games into his 12th season isn't going to tell you whether he'll be good in 15th season. For example, Plekanec had 60 point season couple years ago at 32 years old. Now he looks like a player who can barely hit 40pts. The concern is valid. It's not a guarantee but it's not something you can just dismiss.

However if Habs already knew Subban messed up his back...Changes a lot.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He is who I thought he was. He's the same player he's been for the past decade.

Cold streaks happen to everybody, what's important is you don't let it affect the rest of your game and as we've seen, it didn't. He plays sound defensively all the time, manages his energy well so he can play 26 minutes a night at an elite level and flat out just makes the right play the vast majority of the time.

Then you throw in all the intangibles which everyone in hockey knows is important and that's why the guy get the praise he does.

Nothing flashy, just a flat out hockey player. Love the guy.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
About cold streak. I remember that Weber was hurt twice to the legs while blocking hard shots. I think he played with pain for a while. It was the same for Max at the beginning of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad