Proposal: Shea Weber Proposals - Have a fantasy? Put it here!

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
And we would want to get rid of Weber's contract because? Poile can't trade him until the signing bonus $$ is paid. At which point Weber's contract is cheap.

Why? Weber is free to be traded after July 24th this yr. Weber still carries a caphit of 7.8M even after all bonus paid out.

sighthndlady

Sep 29, 2006
Why? Weber is free to be traded after July 24th this yr. Weber still carries a caphit of 7.8M even after all bonus paid out.

Cap hit doesn't mean squat in Nashville. Actual $$ out the door is what counts here, and all $27 mil of the signing bonus will already be paid by 7/24. After that, Weber's ongoing cash commitment is a really, really great deal for a really, really long time.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Cap hit doesn't mean squat in Nashville. Actual $$ out the door is what counts here, and all $27 mil of the signing bonus will already be paid by 7/24. After that, Weber's ongoing cash commitment is a really, really great deal for a really, really long time.

Don't forget that if the Oilers continue to suck then you're in Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid territory.

Preddownsouth

Feb 20, 2013

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
looking at that contract makes you realize how much of a ***** philly/holmgren is and that weber was almost sure we wouldn't match.. its an absolutely brutal contract. weber hasnt been worth even half of his $14million salary

Give me a break. You guys were NOT forced to match. What did you expect? A friendly contract or friendly OS? Then what's the point with an OS?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Give me a break. You guys were NOT forced to match. What did you expect? A friendly contract or friendly OS? Then what's the point with an OS?

Ownership knew the details of the contract when they matched. They are the ones writing the checks. No matter what TSN or the Globe & Mail tell you the team is not about to file bankruptcy or wanting to dump Weber. The team would not have paid 27 million just for the option of trading for a deal this summer. They would've just taken the 4 firsts and traded them or used them to acquire talent. Weber is Not getting traded unless he forces one by halfassing it or becoming a malcontent. End of story!!!!

Preddownsouth

Feb 20, 2013
You don't understand. 'Force' may be a bit strong a term, but ownership knew if both Suter AND Weber walk at the same time, the more casual fanbase this team has managed to build on the past couple of years would most likely dissolve. Casuals only know 3 players (at the time): Suter, Weber, Rinne. To watch two of the three go would have been devastating.

NNC is exactly right about Philly. They could care less about 'real' dollars. The cap hit is all that matters to them. They were able to make an offer sheet that in their mind would keep the Preds from matching due to its tremendous real cost through 2018. But the Preds did match and now they have that poison pill to swallow for a few more years yet until that massive bonus goes away.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I just responded to one of the dumbest trade proposals for Weber I've ever seen. They wanted Rinne and Fisher in the deal too for a deal that wouldn't even net them Weber. I'm over these stupid proposals. I let them have it to say the least.

BarneyCalhoun

Apr 15, 2013
Ownership knew the details of the contract when they matched. They are the ones writing the checks. No matter what TSN or the Globe & Mail tell you the team is not about to file bankruptcy or wanting to dump Weber. The team would not have paid 27 million just for the option of trading for a deal this summer. They would've just taken the 4 firsts and traded them or used them to acquire talent. Weber is Not getting traded unless he forces one by halfassing it or becoming a malcontent. End of story!!!!

Quoted for ****ing truth. I mean come on guys. Seriously now. Everyone needs a healthy dose of what this guy is serving up.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Oh god... why is this ******** spilling over on to our boards?

Weber cannot be traded until July, not "after June 24th". It is one calendar year after the OS is matched, which would put it in mid-July (14th I believe, but I'm not going to exert any energy to look it up again). Save your draft picks.

You want Weber? Think of a deal that would make your team hurt as much as our team would hurt by trading Weber. To the Oilers? Hall starts the conversation, but does not end it.

Unfair? Oh well...

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
What happens if Weber pulls an Erat?

The drop off of talent level between Weber and Erat is dramatic. Erat was able to be traded for a highly touted prospect. It didn't hurt the club in the meantime.

Weber will command a return that no GM is going to be willing to pay, and it should be that way. Poile and the owners went through hell to keep him. They ******* better make another team go through hell to acquire him.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I doubt even that gets him traded. If Weber begins to half ass it he effectively hurts his trade value. He knows that.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Ah I see. Just checked the thread history details.

edit: It happened while I was on my brief hiatus. No wonder I was confused :laugh:

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Here is my idea, don't trade him, build around him, and hang banners

We are way closer to a rebuild than we are to hanging banners They can claim that injuries are the reason for this horrid season. But think about this Wilson whom the season really was the final straw when he went down and never returned has only played in only a few playoff games and due to doghouse issues was mostly a non factor that went to second round two years in a row. So the core of this team collectively had a bad season and that has to question that the core has lost faith in the management to put them into a position of real contention.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
We are way closer to a rebuild than we are to hanging banners /QUOTE]

It really depends on what you view as a "rebuild". I think we might miss the POs next year, but probably be competitive, and then finish re-positioning ourselves for several competitive seasons. I think the biggest questions, honestly, are our 2nd pair man to play with Klein and PP qb; I think the O is going to sort itself out unless we end up with the 1st pick - cause Poile will take Jones - as we get Mack, Drouin etc to go with Wilson, FF, Bork, Beck and whoever emerges and lets us play Fish down on the 3rd line; guess that's our 3rd question, but I'm not nearly as worried about that.

Cooper made an interesting observation this AM - how about Gonchar for a couple years? which would solve both D problems and it would give us a chance to find out if Blum or Ellis is gonna' make it; if Poile could pull off something like that and not have to trade away an asset at it's lowest value I think it'd be commendable.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
We are way closer to a rebuild than we are to hanging banners /QUOTE]

It really depends on what you view as a "rebuild". I think we might miss the POs next year, but probably be competitive, and then finish re-positioning ourselves for several competitive seasons. I think the biggest questions, honestly, are our 2nd pair man to play with Klein and PP qb; I think the O is going to sort itself out unless we end up with the 1st pick - cause Poile will take Jones - as we get Mack, Drouin etc to go with Wilson, FF, Bork, Beck and whoever emerges and lets us play Fish down on the 3rd line; guess that's our 3rd question, but I'm not nearly as worried about that.

Cooper made an interesting observation this AM - how about Gonchar for a couple years? which would solve both D problems and it would give us a chance to find out if Blum or Ellis is gonna' make it; if Poile could pull off something like that and not have to trade away an asset at it's lowest value I think it'd be commendable.

Cooper had some good points but why would Gonchar come here to play out his final years for a team that could be rebuilding? There were some other things I questioned in his thoughts too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad