Tribute Shea Weber: Gone to Vegas

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Maybe in your dreams.

if we get a mid pick it would already be a bonus
A hand shake away from face palming insurance company lawyers would be enough… They probably just re-linearize those losses in their rates to us small folk but at this point just get it done before something goes wrong…

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A hand shake away from face palming insurance company lawyers would be enough… They probably just re-linearize those losses in their rates to us small folk but at this point just get it done before something goes wrong…

Not a huge issue with Weber's contract cause the actual salary is low. This season was the bigger test at $6M. It appears insurance pays 80% so the real money is nowhere near as high as others. Total money out of pocket for the team he is on over the net 4 years is $1.2M.

22/23 ($3M):
* Insurance pays $2.4M
* Team pays $600k

23/24 to 25/26 ($1M):
* Insurance pays $800k (x3)
* Team pays $200k (x3)

In comparison, the Coyotes will pay more out of pocket for Little who they traded for at the deadline. $1.7M over 2 years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not a huge issue with Weber's contract cause the actual salary is low. This season was the bigger test at $6M. It appears insurance pays 80% so the real money is nowhere near as high as others. Total money out of pocket for the team he is on over the net 4 years is $1.2M.

22/23 ($3M):
* Insurance pays $2.4M
* Team pays $600k

23/24 to 25/26 ($1M):
* Team pays $200k (x3)

In comparison, the Coyotes will pay more out of pocket for Little who they traded for at the deadline. $1.7M over 2 years.
Arizona also got a prospect with little in exchange for a 4th. The prospect was a former 3rd round pick. Not sure what's more valuable a 4th or the prospect. I.e. not sure if Arizona gave up more to get little's contract or if they got a sweetner to take it on.

At any rate, giving up one of our 4ths to get a prospect and Weber off the books would be good for us.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Arizona also got a prospect with little in exchange for a 4th. The prospect was a former 3rd round pick. Not sure what's more valuable a 4th or the prospect. I.e. not sure if Arizona gave up more to get little's contract or if they got a sweetner to take it on.

At any rate, giving up one of our 4ths to get a prospect and Weber off the books would be good for us.

It shouldn't cost more than a 4th. Little's contract requires more money to fork out over a shorter span. If both contracts are 80% paid by insurance. Habs have a spare 4th that doesn't hurt us one bit.

$1.7M over 2 years (Little)
vs
$1.2M over 4 years (Weber)

4th vs prospect? Maybe we can offer them J Olofsson who we might not sign and he is very close to NHL ready and the Coyotes might value that for a cheap roster spot.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Habs will be receiving a prospect / pick or there were rumors at trade deadline there was a significant transaction w multiple players (along w Webers contract) being discussed.

In the end Habs will net get not give - Yotes are desperate to get to cap floor without having to dish out actual salary for contracts

Reactions: JoelWarlord

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Habs will be receiving a prospect / pick or there were rumors at trade deadline there was a significant transaction w multiple players (along w Webers contract) being discussed.

In the end Habs will net get not give - Yotes are desperate to get to cap floor without having to dish out actual salary for contracts
It makes sense that Weber's contract would be an asset - especially after next season, when his salary is only 1M.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

22/23 ($3M):
* Insurance pays $2.4M
* Team pays $600k

23/24 to 25/26 ($1M):
* Team pays $200k (x3)

Thanks for putting numbers on it; you’re right it’s actually not that bad.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It makes sense that Weber's contract would be an asset - especially after next season, when his salary is only 1M.
The rumor was in addition to lack of time for paperwork completion, Yotes ownership didn’t want to cough up portion of Weber’s contract that wasn’t covered by insurance which was $1M-$2M range from deadline to seasons end.

Next years entire team payout in for the season to Weber (post insurance) will be a few hundred thousand

So Yotes get over $7M cap hit benefit in exchange for a few hundred thousand spend all coming from revenue share - as sweet a deal as any NHL team can get

Jul 6, 2016
The rumor was in addition to lack of time for paperwork completion, Yotes ownership didn’t want to cough up portion of Weber’s contract that wasn’t covered by insurance which was $1M-$2M range from deadline to seasons end.

Next years entire team payout in for the season to Weber (post insurance) will be a few hundred thousand

So Yotes get over $7M cap hit benefit in exchange for a few hundred thousand spend all coming from revenue share - as sweet a deal as any NHL team can get
Will NHL someday solved this loophole ? These players, Weber-Hossa, Horton, etc... who can't play anymore, should not be traded to reach this cap purpose. If you can't play anymore, the team should just have to pay the player just an extra year of contract max (none if you become UFA), and the rest should be paid by insurance. No cap after that first extra season on injury list. And no trade possible unless the player recovers his health 100% within his contract length.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Saves the Coyotes around 27 million in salaries

Reactions: salbutera

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Details of the injuries that the Mountain Man was facing during the playoffs has now been revealed.

I wish we had him during his prime and surrounded him better. Weber was a great player and still had a great impact even at the twilight of his career.

Even with all those injuries he was absolutely fantastic during that playoff run. Respect to him for playing the way he did.

Reactions: cphabs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Details of the injuries that the Mountain Man was facing during the playoffs has now been revealed.

I wish we had him during his prime and surrounded him better. Weber was a great player and still had a great impact even at the twilight of his career.

Even with all those injuries he was absolutely fantastic during that playoff run. Respect to him for playing the way he did.
Well playing on a broken ankle is a really bad idea. Habs doctors should have ruled him out.

Reactions: amethyst and cphabs

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for everything Shea. I wasn't happy when he was traded here, but by the end I started to realize what a good player/leader he was.
My take too. Hated the trade, thought Fabro should’ve been included at the time. But over time (watching him every game) came to appreciate what a unique and great player he is.

Still should’ve gotten a sweetener MB.

Jul 6, 2016
My take too. Hated the trade, thought Fabro should’ve been included at the time. But over time (watching him every game) came to appreciate what a unique and great player he is.

Still should’ve gotten a sweetener MB.
Not Fabro. Girard should have.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I was furious when you know who traded Subban but I've learned to appreciate Weber's contribution over the years. I wish him and his family all the best.

On another note, I'm happy to watch the Bergevin Habs being slowly dismantled. There's something very cathartic about it.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
This was as well as the Weber era could’ve ended. It’s nice to move on from Bergevin’s era too.

It was an unnatural fit from the get go — he never seemed like he wanted to be in Montréal but to his credit he was professional enough to put that aside when he was playing. Enjoy the fishing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad