Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC94

May 13, 2018
Out of the big 3 that everyone wanted to trade in the offseason (Patches, Price and Weber) he was the only one I didn't want to trade. It's just another hole you have to fill. One that is REALLY really hard to fill. I really think he'll age like Chara.
The way he plays the game even when his feet slow down a little he is still going to be a beast out there and his shots from the point will be as hard as ever, not too concerned about him either

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Pronger played his best hockey from ages 32-36 (2006-2010)
This is the thing that irritates me about Weber praise. He’s damn good, let’s be honest, but he’s not in the same league as those 3 names. At this stage all of those guys had a Norris and a cup + other monster playoff performances. He’s vital to us by default because of how poorly Bergevin constructed this defence but even with him we still have major limitations. He’s not good enough to hide them down the road.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This is the thing that irritates me about Weber praise. He’s damn good, let’s be honest, but he’s not in the same league as those 3 names. At this stage all of those guys had a Norris and a cup + other monster playoff performances. He’s vital to us by default because of how poorly Bergevin constructed this defence but even with him we still have major limitations. He’s not good enough to hide them down the road.
No one is saying Weber is as good as Chris pronger. We're simply providing real life examples of big, physical defensemen that played good hockey well into their 30's.

Just because he's not as good as Pronger, or Chara, or Scott Stevens (who captained the devil's to a cup in 2003 at 38 years old) doesn't mean that he too can't play HIS best hockey well into his 30's.

Which is the question currently being asked "sure he's good now, but how long can he keep up this level of play?", And my educated guess is another 3-4 seasons as a top pairing guy and likely 2-3 more as an effective support player.

Would it be a better comparison to use Andrei Markov, who was one of the teams most valuable players all the way till his departure at age 38?

How about Rob Blake, who scored 45 points in 73 games as a 39 year old?

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No one is saying Weber is as good as Chris pronger. We're simply providing real life examples of big, physical defensemen that played good hockey well into their 30's.

Just because he's not as good as Pronger, or Chara, or Scott Stevens (who captained the devil's to a cup in 2003 at 38 years old) doesn't mean that he too can't play HIS best hockey well into his 30's.

Which is the question currently being asked "sure he's good now, but how long can he keep up this level of play?", And my educated guess is another 3-4 seasons as a top pairing guy and likely 2-3 more as an effective support player.

Would it be a better comparison to use Andrei Markov, who was one of the teams most valuable players all the way till his departure at age 38?

Honestly, it's anyone's guess. It doesn't work like that. Oh..he played well till 39..so..he will too!
Chelios played till he was 134 I think...Ray Bourque popped 59pts in at 40. Neidermayer retired at 36 after scoring 48pts. Then there's guys like Alzner who need to be sent to AHL at 30 despite being solid blueliners a couple years ago. Or Gomez that just turns to crap.

No clue what will happen to Weber. Right now he looks great. How his body will endure physical work as he ages more is impossible to predict...depends on genetics, how he's trained over his career, his injuries, his nutrition, sleep, stress levels, mental health....We really have no idea.
So far so good though.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Well said.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Honestly, it's anyone's guess. It doesn't work like that. Oh..he played well till 39..so..he will too!
Chelios played till he was 134 I think...Ray Bourque popped 59pts in at 40. Neidermayer retired at 36 after scoring 48pts. Then there's guys like Alzner who need to be sent to AHL at 30 despite being solid blueliners a couple years ago. Or Gomez that just turns to crap.

No clue what will happen to Weber. Right now he looks great. How his body will endure physical work as he ages more is impossible to predict...depends on genetics, how he's trained over his career, his injuries, his nutrition, sleep, stress levels, mental health....We really have no idea.
So far so good though.
Yep, it's difficult to predict but I do think the rumors of his supposed decline were greatly exaggerated.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Yep, it's difficult to predict but I do think the rumors of his supposed decline were greatly exaggerated.
What's sad is it was from the very vocal minority that make it difficult to read some of the stuff on here as they are negative about pretty much everything Habs. Hopefully in terms of Shea, his play has made them come to realize that he's still an excellent player and is good for the team.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
What's sad is it was from the very vocal minority that make it difficult to read some of the stuff on here as they are negative about pretty much everything Habs. Hopefully in terms of Shea, his play has made them come to realize that he's still an excellent player and is good for the team.
I'm bracing myself for the inevitable 4pts in 18gp stretch that Weber seems to experience every season since he joined the league.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I like how mean he can be when he wants to. I know I hated playing against those kind of guys back in my heyday, I couldn't imagine a 6'4 beast coming at me in the corner all night looking to ruin my day.

Reactions: MasterDecoy

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Top players tend to be able to play at a high level for longer barring injuries. Weber is one of the top dmen of his generation, so he might be able to do that. We will just have to wait and see. I'm just happy to see him back in the lineup and captaining the team.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Just a little nitpick. Weber was considered the best dman in the league by many during his years with Suter. He should have won a Norris the year Lidstrom won. Not Taking anything away from Lidstrom but Weber was one of the most dominant dmen I've ever seen that year

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just a little nitpick. Weber was considered the best dman in the league by many during his years with Suter. He should have won a Norris the year Lidstrom won. Not Taking anything away from Lidstrom but Weber was one of the most dominant dmen I've ever seen that year

Im interested to see how he'll do now that the league is faster than it was 2 years ago, even than it was last year, and that we have a better team than we had in his first year. I could see him having trouble with the speed or scoring 30 goals himself. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact he has over the end of this season and possibly the playoffs.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Im interested to see how he'll do now that the league is faster than it was 2 years ago, even than it was last year, and that we have a better team than we had in his first year. I could see him having trouble with the speed or scoring 30 goals himself. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact he has over the end of this season and possibly the playoffs.
We don't have a better team this year than we did in 2017, at least I don't think we do.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We don't have a better team this year than we did in 2017, at least I don't think we do.
With Gallagher having hand issues and Galchenyuk seeming to not fully get back from his knee injury/get comfortable with Julien, i think we're better this year - that is if Price can play as well this year as he did that year. But if he cant i may ageee with you.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
With Gallagher having hand issues and Galchenyuk seeming to not fully get back from his knee injury/get comfortable with Julien, i think we're better this year - that is if Price can play as well this year as he did that year. But if he cant i may ageee with you.
Yeah I forgot about Gally and his struggles.

Still as good as Domi and Drouin have been this year our top line of radu/Chuck/maxpac was pretty good too.

Tatar>Chucky
Domi=radu
Drouin>=pax
Gally this year > 2017

So our forward group is probably better, petry and Byron have improved, but we replaced Markov and Emelin with Reilly and Kulak and price isn't as good.

I'm not sure who would win in a playoff series between the two teams tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad