Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah I forgot about Gally and his struggles.

Still as good as Domi and Drouin have been this year our top line of radu/Chuck/maxpac was pretty good too.

Tatar>Chucky
Domi=radu
Drouin>=pax
Gally this year > 2017

So our forward group is probably better, petry and Byron have improved, but we replaced Markov and Emelin with Reilly and Kulak and price isn't as good.

I'm not sure who would win in a playoff series between the two teams tbh.

Yeah the Markov loss is huge. But my feeling we're better now is more based on is being a one line team on offense that year. No matter how much better Markov made the dcore, if you cant score more than 1 goal a game you have no chance of winning. And now were one of the best teams in the league offensively amd are getting production for all lines. Kotkaniemi helps the 3rd line tremendously compared to old Plekanec. Plus whereas out big line was pacioretty danault radulov, and then galchenyuk floundering, now we have domi and drouin as one tandem and tatar and Gallagher as another, and then kk leading some offense with byron and lehkonen. As we saw on the called back goal, danaul and lehkonen paly well together, as doe byron and damault. I still want to see if seitching kk and danault can make the team even better. I think julien likes the team 5 on 5 now as is so wont make the switch.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yeah I forgot about Gally and his struggles.

Still as good as Domi and Drouin have been this year our top line of radu/Chuck/maxpac was pretty good too.

Tatar>Chucky
Domi=radu
Drouin>=pax
Gally this year > 2017

So our forward group is probably better, petry and Byron have improved, but we replaced Markov and Emelin with Reilly and Kulak and price isn't as good.

I'm not sure who would win in a playoff series between the two teams tbh.
Just having much better center depth makes this year's team better. We had Danault on the first line that year. He's still on the second I guess but KK is a very good third liner right now.

Domi just elevates this team so much. Even if we had ovi, his impact would be less than the one Domi has had on this team. Not that I think Domi is better, just that he addresses a huge need for the team.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Tracking to full season 56 points, 35 goals. Playing with shrubs. Goal totals wouldn’t hold but probably 25 true pace. So much for his demise, playing like he is 25.

Crazy to think this guy played 10 seasons on some pretty lame Nashville teams, comes to Montreal, team starts a rebuild and they play him with Mete, Benn and Kulak.

Entirely possible he plays his whole career without playing a full season on a good hockey team. To date he has never played with a good forward and defense group at the same time.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Tracking to full season 56 points, 35 goals. Playing with shrubs. Goal totals wouldn’t hold but probably 25 true pace. So much for his demise, playing like he is 25.

Crazy to think this guy played 10 seasons on some pretty lame Nashville teams, comes to Montreal, team starts a rebuild and they play him with Mete, Benn and Kulak.

Entirely possible he plays his whole career without playing a full season on a good hockey team. To date he has never played with a good forward and defense group at the same time.

Old Weber may end up on a good habs team

Reactions: japhi

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Old Weber may end up on a good habs team

Exactly, old Weber may finally get to play on a top 12 team.

What a waste of a career. Can you imagine Lidstrom playing his whole career behind Ribeiro and Legwan? The finally getting traded to..... Buffalo to play out the string.

Speaking of Lidstrom, he won 4 norris after the age of 33, last one at 40. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Weber picks one up over the next 3-5 years if the Habs can put together a decent team and he stays healthy. 20 goals, 50 points, stellar D and a good team should be enough but who knows. Voters seem to like the run and gun guys, appreciation for all around d man is at an all time low.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Exactly, old Weber may finally get to play on a top 12 team.

What a waste of a career. Can you imagine Lidstrom playing his whole career behind Ribeiro and Legwan? The finally getting traded to..... Buffalo to play out the string.

Speaking of Lidstrom, he won 4 norris after the age of 33, last one at 40. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Weber picks one up over the next 3-5 years if the Habs can put together a decent team and he stays healthy. 20 goals, 50 points, stellar D and a good team should be enough but who knows. Voters seem to like the run and gun guys, appreciation for all around d man is at an all time low.
Don Cherry has been pimping Weber and Giordano stay tuned...

Weber sure looks like he has benefitted from a year off...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Imagine Weber in Tampa or Toronto. Probably have 85pts a year.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
The guy can move the puck. He’s not as flashy as Subban but he’s effective. His passes are perfect every time and he makes them quick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
30 goals guaranteed. He's got 5 goals already and he's on a power play where he's the only shooter and barely gets any looks. Imagine him on a pp with a few other scoring threats to give him more room...oh my god!!!

With all the extra shots he would be getting on the Tampa PP, I think he might hurt a few players!

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
30 goals guaranteed. He's got 5 goals already and he's on a power play where he's the only shooter and barely gets any looks. Imagine him on a pp with a few other scoring threats to give him more room...oh my god!!!

Like real talent on a PP? That would be amazing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like Weber, but man does he ever look clunky on the pp.

Not enough mobility and creativity with the puck to set up the play in the zone or rush the puck up ice. Often turns the puck over himself or passes the puck to teammates in a bad position for a turnover. Is slow with the puck causing the d to set up and pressure us into turnovers.

Petry and Drouin have also not been the greatest QBs. Hopefully one of Domi, Reilly, or Kotkaniemi can step up and lead in that role.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I like Weber, but man does he ever look clunky on the pp.

Not enough mobility and creativity with the puck to set up the play in the zone or rush the puck up ice. Often turns the puck over himself or passes the puck to teammates in a bad position for a turnover. Is slow with the puck causing the d to set up and pressure us into turnovers.

Petry and Drouin have also not been the greatest QBs. Hopefully one of Domi, Reilly, or Kotkaniemi can step up and lead in that role.
They've got him in a terrible spot. He should be right where Ovechkin is on every PP, just ready to rear back and bomb one-timers. Don't have him at the top of the umbrella directing traffic.

Reactions: HBDay and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They've got him in a terrible spot. He should be right where Ovechkin is on every PP, just ready to rear back and bomb one-timers. Don't have him at the top of the umbrella directing traffic.

And I would add, don't have him rush the puck up ice, especially as the last man. He should almost line up just as Ovechkin does - as a winger.

The thing is Ovechkin also mobile enough to always get himself in a position to one-time it.

Weber often has to stop the puck because it's not where he wants it.

I would go

Weber in Ovechkin's office
Gallagher in front of the net
Kotkaniemi in Galchenyuk's office
Domi/Drouin - high slot/left point
Reilly/Petry - Right point/top of the diamond

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Doesn't that mean he'd get less shots?..Seeing how they'd have so many more options.
Our entire game plan is pass the puck to Weber on the PP..
He'd definitely get more points though.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
A Mars year, maybe.

The stats don't lie. Look at his production on a team that doesn't score on the PP. Look at what Rielly is putting up , are you telling me Shea wouldn't be doing that, if not more? Rielly already has 44 pts, I haven't seen such a putz benefiting from playing with talent, since Komisarek.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Doesn't that mean he'd get less shots?..Seeing how they'd have so many more options.
Our entire game plan is pass the puck to Weber on the PP..
He'd definitely get more points though.

I think he would actually get better looks. Maybe less shots but all he needs is one or two clean looks a game and he scores a bunch of goals.

The guy led his team in points multiple times, if he would have played with even a decent offense his first 10 years I bet he has 150-200 more career points.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
The stats don't lie. Look at his production on a team that doesn't score on the PP. Look at what Rielly is putting up , are you telling me Shea wouldn't be doing that, if not more? Rielly already has 44 pts, I haven't seen such a putz benefiting from playing with talent, since Komisarek.

I’m a big Weber fan but I don’t think he would ever pit up ppg type points, he is too risk averse. Guys like Reilly are willing to take chances and give up goals against in order to produce. I think Weber understands that a goal prevented is the same as a goal scored so I don’t see him getting caught deep, risky pinches, all the things that the top scoring d men do these days.

Some of these guys are essentially forwards lining up as d men. You ask Burns to actually play a traditional d man role - crazy things like D zone starts - and not the rover role he plays today and he is a 60 point guy.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I’m a big Weber fan but I don’t think he would ever pit up ppg type points, he is too risk averse. Guys like Reilly are willing to take chances and give up goals against in order to produce. I think Weber understands that a goal prevented is the same as a goal scored so I don’t see him getting caught deep, risky pinches, all the things that the top scoring d men do these days.
Agree completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad