Shayne Gostisbehere

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
He's not as fast as I was expecting, but still an 8/10 for his speed. But he hits top gear right away and is extremely shifty and nimble, like in the 4 on 3 OT PP's we've seen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think he lost some straight line speed both to the ACL and to bulking up, may regain a little, but he's not an end to end burner. In some ways he's a bit like a younger version of Streit but more skilled, in that he functions best in a "half court" offense where he can use his shiftiness and shot to create space.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
At the wjc and at union he had that end to end speed that was on another level. I agree he isn't the same and that can be because of the injury or weight gain.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
This is also the NHL. Guys here are expected to have an extra stride in the speed department for the most part. Ghost can't expect to blow by everybody like he was in college or even the WJCs. Not everyone in the bigs is going to be a burner, but on average there will be more "burners" in this league or even guys who are close than compared to lower leagues.

So, by comparison, it would make sense that Ghost can't just pull away from everyone.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
I doubt he lost much speed, with modern medicine these days, guys are coming back sooner and just as good prior to the injury. Not all injuries, but lots. Here's Jamaal Charles about a calandar year after blowing out his knee in 2011

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
He's got plenty of speed. To me, the thing that you can see that is very important is that his tight space elusiveness and shot still hold up very well at the NHL level. His creativity is definitely going to improve as he gets comfortable with his teammates and the offense.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It really seems he hasn't been fully unleashed yet. He still appears to be cautious and doesn't want to screw up and get sent down again. Once he gets a real partner, skies the limit

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It really seems he hasn't been fully unleashed yet. He still appears to be cautious and doesn't want to screw up and get sent down again. Once he gets a real partner, skies the limit

interesting comment cause I do agree that he is still somewhat cautious due to the fear of being sent down, HOWEVER I kinda like him having that fear a bit otherwise he may try to do a little too much and cause turnovers. Its causing him to slowly get more and more confident each game and that's why after each game I keep getting more and more impressed

But I agree that once he has a real partner, he is going to be even more of a stud

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...ek-Emotion-Cousins-Alumni--Much-More/45/73045

I frequently get asked if the Flyers are going to be forced to send Gostisbehere back to the Phantoms for salary cap reasons when Mark Streit returns to the lineup. It's not worth stressing over too much. These things have a way of working out, because a lot can (and probably will) happen between now and the time Streit is ready to be activated from long-term injured reserve.

For one thing, injuries elsewhere in the lineup are an unfortunate fact of life in hockey. The Flyers will update Luke Schenn's status at some point on Sunday, but the optics of the play where he was hurt -- the awkward way his foot got caught under him, the way it twisted and the fact that he couldn't hobble off under his own power and eventually needed assistance just to get off the ice -- looked like he might miss significant time.

For another, the Flyers have a variety of non trade-dependent options at their disposal to keep Gostisbehere aboard even when Streit eventually is cleared to return to the lineup. For instance, with Laughton's ice time severely reduced, he is a candidate to be assigned for awhile to the AHL and would not require waivers to do so since he's still on the his entry-level contract. The Flyers could also waive a player who lacks a no-movement clause in his contract -- Vincent Lecavalier is immune due to an NMC but R.J. Umberger is a player who does not have a NMC -- and get up to $950,000 of cap relief, which would be enough to keep Gostisbehere on the NHL active roster if the team is unable to trade someone.

One way or another, it will work itself out. It's nothing to lose any sleep over, because it's a no-brainer that Gostisbehere will be kept with the big club.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
interesting comment cause I do agree that he is still somewhat cautious due to the fear of being sent down, HOWEVER I kinda like him having that fear a bit otherwise he may try to do a little too much and cause turnovers. Its causing him to slowly get more and more confident each game and that's why after each game I keep getting more and more impressed

But I agree that once he has a real partner, he is going to be even more of a stud

I don't think he's worried about getting sent down, I think he's worried about playing too aggressive and then having to rely on Brandon "I Belong In The ECHL" Manning to support him. Manning has the offensive talent of a jar of applesauce and yet he's the one getting caught pinching and making bad moves in the offensive zone all the time.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
I don't think he's worried about getting sent down, I think he's worried about playing too aggressive and then having to rely on Brandon "I Belong In The ECHL" Manning to support him. Manning has the offensive talent of a jar of applesauce and yet he's the one getting caught pinching and making bad moves in the offensive zone all the time.

Store brand, maybe. Not that fancy applesauce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad