Shayne Gostisbehere

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, but I was just wondering what the chances are of shayne joining the team for the playoffs, or if it is even possible.

I know he is small but Pierre was mentioning he could have a similar impact that krug did las year and it makes me curious.

Thoughts?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, but I was just wondering what the chances are of shayne joining the team for the playoffs, or if it is even possible.

I know he is small but Pierre was mentioning he could have a similar impact that krug did las year and it makes me curious.

Thoughts?

no shot.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
I don't know if Union's deep run in the playoffs will impact this. It seems risky to insert him directly into the line-up in the playoffs (which is when he'd probably be available to play). The last guy to make this transition was Chris Kreider (i think) and he definitely added a bump to the Rangers playoff run, that year.
I love the way this guy has been a game changer for Union. He's got the incredible ability to make an end to end rush and for a highlight real goal, even when Union has been playing flat overall as a team.
It wouldn't hurt to be patient and wait till next year to insert this kid into your line-up, I'd want to be careful throwing him directly into the pressure cooker of the playoffs, when the step from college to NHL can be difficult to initially adjust too.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I doubt he gets inserted into the lineup. Maybe if he can play a couple regular season games, but I doubt that will happen, I am okay with being patient.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I'm not too familiar with how this would work, so sorry if I sound dumb.

Krug was already signed to an ELC and playing in the AHL last year. Ghost has yet to be signed. So would he even be able to play in the NHL if he decides to sign? Wouldn't he get an ATO like Hagg?

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI

Krug was already signed to an ELC and playing in the AHL last year. Ghost has yet to be signed. So would he even be able to play in the NHL if he decides to sign? Wouldn't he get an ATO like Hagg?

If you can remember a couple years back Chris Krieder won the national championship with BC and then went straight into the lineup for the Rangers for their playoff run. So I figure it would be the same deal.

I think there's pretty much no shot he plays for the Flyers this year. Only if three or so defenders went down in the next couple weeks.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
If you can remember a couple years back Chris Krieder won the national championship with BC and then went straight into the lineup for the Rangers for their playoff run. So I figure it would be the same deal.

I think there's pretty much no shot he plays for the Flyers this year. Only if three or so defenders went down in the next couple weeks.

Oh OK. I forgot he played in the NCAA. Thought he played in the CHL for some reason.

Thanks!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe the Flyers defense gets ravaged by injuries. Krug only got into the playoffs last year for that reason.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Pretty sure the Rangers had to put Kreider on some sort of reserve list for him to be eligible for the playoffs. Not sure if the Flyers did that with Gostisbehere. If he signs an ELC for this year he could play regular season games, but Union could be playing until April 12th and the Flyers last game is April 13th, so that seems like a longshot at this point. If he just signed an ATO, he could finish games with Adirondack who's season runs until April 19th. You can't play NHL games under a PTO contract.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure the Rangers had to put Kreider on some sort of reserve list for him to be eligible for the playoffs. Not sure if the Flyers did that with Gostisbehere. If he signs an ELC for this year he could play regular season games, but Union could be playing until April 12th and the Flyers last game is April 13th, so that seems like a longshot at this point. If he just signed an ATO, he could finish games with Adirondack who's season runs until April 19th. You can't play NHL games with an ATO.

You can play 1 NHL game on an ATO.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Pretty sure the Rangers had to put Kreider on some sort of reserve list for him to be eligible for the playoffs. Not sure if the Flyers did that with Gostisbehere. If he signs an ELC for this year he could play regular season games, but Union could be playing until April 12th and the Flyers last game is April 13th, so that seems like a longshot at this point. If he just signed an ATO, he could finish games with Adirondack who's season runs until April 19th. You can't play NHL games under a PTO contract.

OK thanks!

Phunhog

Jul 18, 2007
How long do we retain his rights if he plays his senior year? Please tell me he doesn't become a free agent

RJ8812*

How long do we retain his rights if he plays his senior year? Please tell me he doesn't become a free agent

If he returns for his senior year, we keep his right until Spring 2015. Not sure of the exact date, but it might be June 1st

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
If he returns for his senior year, we keep his right until Spring 2015. Not sure of the exact date, but it might be June 1st

I think there is 0% chance that this guy returns to Union after this season, so you'll have him next year on your Blueline. If you want to go see him this year--he's right for you to watch him at the Frozen Four. You'll get to see him vs. BC I think. He's confident with the puck and capable of great things, but beware he is human an occassionally will cough the puck up/turn it over and create a good chance for the other team. It's part of the gamble an offensive-minded D man makes.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think there is 0% chance that this guy returns to Union after this season, so you'll have him next year on your Blueline. If you want to go see him this year--he's right for you to watch him at the Frozen Four. You'll get to see him vs. BC I think. He's confident with the puck and capable of great things, but beware he is human an occassionally will cough the puck up/turn it over and create a good chance for the other team. It's part of the gamble an offensive-minded D man makes.

I don't think thats true. I could totally see him staying another year.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
I don't think thats true. I could totally see him staying another year.

I don't think the Mesa Rink is big enough to hold his talents any more. I think his game has grown to the maximum potential and it is time to move on for the sake of his hockey development. What else is left for him to accomplish at this level personally? As a team they have reached the Frozen Four in 2 of his 3 seasons, which is off the charts impressive for a small school like Union, but I don't see them winning the National Championship with teams like BC and Minnesota in the mix. They don't have the pedigree or strength of regular season schedule to go against these guys when the trophy is on the line.

Other than that if he wants to stay at Union, that's great he'll actually finish his education, unlike a lot of guys...this is something admirable.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Actually they hold his rights until 2016. He wasn't drafted until after his freshman year in 2012. They hold his rights for 4 years.

I don't think the Mesa Rink is big enough to hold his talents any more. I think his game has grown to the maximum potential and it is time to move on for the sake of his hockey development. What else is left for him to accomplish at this level personally? As a team they have reached the Frozen Four in 2 of his 3 seasons, which is off the charts impressive for a small school like Union, but I don't see them winning the National Championship with teams like BC and Minnesota in the mix. They don't have the pedigree or strength of regular season schedule to go against these guys when the trophy is on the line.

Other than that if he wants to stay at Union, that's great he'll actually finish his education, unlike a lot of guys...this is something admirable.

I agree. He's too good for that league. I thought he was too good for that league at the end of last year, but like most prospects he stayed for his 3rd season. He's only going to develop bad habits if he goes back for another year. He needs to challenge himself. No disrespect to Union, they have a hell of a program, but he needs to start playing with guys that are closer to his skill level if he's going to take that next step.

Phunhog

Jul 18, 2007
Actually they hold his rights until 2016. He wasn't drafted until after his freshman year in 2012. They hold his rights for 4 years. p.

Thanx, can sleep a little better now. Can't wait to see him in O&B. Knowing that Chris Therien was the last homegrown defenseman, sorry Gus not your fault, is pretty depressing. I guess you could say the Flyers are forward thinking. o_O

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
one of the thing I like about college development is that there are fewer games and strength and conditioning program is year round and very structured. I think the most important thing for Ghost is to develop his body and the best place for him to do that is in College.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
one of the thing I like about college development is that there are fewer games and strength and conditioning program is year round and very structured. I think the most important thing for Ghost is to develop his body and the best place for him to do that is in College.

Gaudreau and Gostisbehere have been considered small since the day they set foot on campus and three years later they are still considered small. Another year isn't going to change much. They need to get into a professional routine and have specialized workouts all while challenging themselves on the ice.

If the organization is so concerned over his size, they will play him in the AHL. They play most of their games on the weekend so they have a lot of time during the week to dedicate to strength and conditioning. Also, I don't know how Union's S&C program is (they have a pretty small team), but I know a lot of schools don't have dedicated S&C coaches for each sport so they are getting a pretty generalized workout instead of a sport specific regimen.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Gaudreau and Gostisbehere have been considered small since the day they set foot on campus and three years later they are still considered small. Another year isn't going to change much. They need to get into a professional routine and have specialized workouts all while challenging themselves on the ice.

If the organization is so concerned over his size, they will play him in the AHL. They play most of their games on the weekend so they have a lot of time during the week to dedicate to strength and conditioning. Also, I don't know how Union's S&C program is (they have a pretty small team), but I know a lot of schools don't have dedicated S&C coaches for each sport so they are getting a pretty generalized workout instead of a sport specific regimen.

Union along with all major d1 teams have a very regimented s and c program that focuses on periodization. The reason why college is so ideal is because its 9 months of training with a professional for free. Also the few games allows for proper recuperation during the year.

The Ahl is a pro league and when you are a pro you are expected to already be in good shape and know how to get yourself in good shape. Very different outlook on s and c. Most pro's just want to maintain.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Union along with all major d1 teams have a very regimented s and c program that focuses on periodization. The reason why college is so ideal is because its 9 months of training with a professional for free. Also the few games allows for proper recuperation during the year.

The Ahl is a pro league and when you are a pro you are expected to already be in good shape and know how to get yourself in good shape. Very different outlook on s and c. Most pro's just want to maintain.

Union isn't major D1 though. They are a small school in a small conference. Good team, but small. I played D1 at a small college too and I can guarantee you we weren't getting the same treatment as the big schools. We didn't have the same equipment and we had 1 trainer that oversaw every sport on campus!!!

And they aren't doing much S&C I can tell you that. Their season starts in October and runs through April. So they have a month before the season starts to really get after it and then you have the month after the season ends which they probably use to recover. Most of the gains are going to come in the offseason when they aren't even on campus. That's where the professional S&C comes into play. Also the Flyers will be able to monitor his diet and get him on a proper one if he needs to.

Look at a guy like Matt Bodie on Union. Senior, 24 years old. Four years at Union and he's still a buck 65. Gostisbehere needs to challenge himself and he won't be doing that playing another year in college. He's a good enough skater to protect himself out there and he's not exactly a pushover. He's got some wiry strength.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Union isn't major D1 though. They are a small school in a small conference. Good team, but small. I played D1 at a small college too and I can guarantee you we weren't getting the same treatment as the big schools. We didn't have the same equipment and we had 1 trainer that oversaw every sport on campus!!!

And they aren't doing much S&C I can tell you that. Their season starts in October and runs through April. So they have a month before the season starts to really get after it and then you have the month after the season ends which they probably use to recover. Most of the gains are going to come in the offseason when they aren't even on campus. That's where the professional S&C comes into play. Also the Flyers will be able to monitor his diet and get him on a proper one if he needs to.

Look at a guy like Matt Bodie on Union. Senior, 24 years old. Four years at Union and he's still a buck 65. Gostisbehere needs to challenge himself and he won't be doing that playing another year in college. He's a good enough skater to protect himself out there and he's not exactly a pushover. He's got some wiry strength.

I can't speak for your school but At schools I have seen there are no special machines. At most you have a Keiser or a Versaclimber machine but what those do can be duplicated in other ways. Ghost will probably not be able to pack on much more weight, and if he did it would be at the expense of his speed. Another year at union gives him much more physical maturation as well as a year of builidng up strength. I do agree he can skate himself out of dangerous hits but He isn't playing in the nhl next year and he already has a level of comfort at union.

Also all athletes in sports are getting trained the same. Volleyball players and baseball players basically do the same exercises but use different energy systems. So one strength and conditioning coach could design programs for all sports , taht is how it is done at most universities.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
I can't speak for your school but At schools I have seen there are no special machines. At most you have a Keiser or a Versaclimber machine but what those do can be duplicated in other ways. Ghost will probably not be able to pack on much more weight, and if he did it would be at the expense of his speed. Another year at union gives him much more physical maturation as well as a year of builidng up strength. I do agree he can skate himself out of dangerous hits but He isn't playing in the nhl next year and he already has a level of comfort at union.

Also all athletes in sports are getting trained the same. Volleyball players and baseball players basically do the same exercises but use different energy systems. So one strength and conditioning coach could design programs for all sports , taht is how it is done at most universities.

I think if you focus on bulking him up, you'd be taking away from his game. I think he's the type of player like Eric Karlson and Carl Hagelin that have a lanky build and it helps them with speed and agility in their game. They are able to outmanuever the bigger guys. Ghost faced this challenge in his first year at Union, and it's something that he'll always have to contend with as he takes steps to the AHL or NHL. If your smaller, you just have to be quicker.
The most important aspect to consider is how is his on ice performance going to evolve??
I don't think there is any role he can take on that would warrant staying at Union another year, hockey wise.
Any changes that need to be made at this point, whether its nutrition or strength and conditioning, it can be done best by the Flyers organization. I think its pretty fair to assume based on the size of the University or the fact that other schools play D1 in all of their athletics, they are going to have a substantially better athletic facility and possibly team appointed S&C coaches to coordinate their development, it's a matter of school size and money to spend on a sports team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad