Shayne Gostisbehere

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think I'd be ok with giving him a long term deal. Obviously it would keep the cap hit down in exchange for giving him long term security so the only risk would be if he kinda busts. But everything I've seen from him in the NCAA, AHL, and NHL has me convinced that he's going to be a great player for a long time.

Yeah I definitely think you can skip the whole bridge deal after this year if he will sign a deal. You definitely want him to stick around for as long as possible.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think I'd be ok with giving him a long term deal. Obviously it would keep the cap hit down in exchange for giving him long term security so the only risk would be if he kinda busts. But everything I've seen from him in the NCAA, AHL, and NHL has me convinced that he's going to be a great player for a long time.
hes not going to lose the shot he has, speedy, heavy, accurate. Dude will cash in on one timers from giroux for years.

His speed will go in his 30s if he doesn't take care of himself. Hopefully he learns positioning well so that he can counteract that a bit, like Kimmo did. If he can do that he should be able to play into his mid to late 30s.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Getting the Klingberg deal but for 8 years would be nice.

That locks him up from age 22-31 and then he will be a UFA at 32.

Then let someone else pay big money for his 32-36 year old seasons.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ghost has definitely unlocked the power play. Imagine if he starts getting them 5v5.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well if Hakstol would use him with Giroux at 5v5 I'm sure both of them would put up a lot more even strength points.

But nope. Giroux has to play with Luke Schenn 90% of the time.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well if Hakstol would use him with Giroux at 5v5 I'm sure both of them would put up a lot more even strength points.

But nope. Giroux has to play with Luke Schenn 90% of the time.

Is he keeping Gostisbhere away from Giroux or is he keeping Giroux away from Manning?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is he keeping Gostisbhere away from Giroux or is he keeping Giroux away from Manning?

Good point. Unfortunately I don't think Hakstol is thinking that way, if he didn't trust Manning he wouldn't be putting him out with like 2 minutes left in the game with Luke Schenn as a "shutdown" pair. But either way, putting him out with Giroux probably wouldn't be too dangerous since opponents are likely trying to put out their best defensive players against Giroux instead of their top line. Plus Giroux spends enough time in the offensive zone that it's be a good way to keep Manning from trying to defend. Giroux + Ghost out at the same time likely means minimal time in the defensive zone.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I think Ghost is showing a flaw in Hextalls overly cautious approach. Protecting younger players from harder competition might be holding them back because they arent getting a chance to play with better talent. Even against NHL players...Ghost is more likely to produce on the Flyers than in the AHL because he gets to play with ppl like G. I think the boost he gets from that outweighs any struggles he might have against better players.

I also wanna see him in the shootout. Id love him to pull a Rolston...skate in and blast a slapper.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Oh man, I am so excited about Ghost. He is pure treat to watch on the ice. I just don't want to have too high expectations in him and then be kind of disappointed... but this kid is special and unique player. Hopefully, he can somehow keep up this play at the NHL level.

Love the G-G connection, it's going to be here for a lot of years for us, that's for sure. :)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Ghost is showing a flaw in Hextalls overly cautious approach. Protecting younger players from harder competition might be holding them back because they arent getting a chance to play with better talent. Even against NHL players...Ghost is more likely to produce on the Flyers than in the AHL because he gets to play with ppl like G. I think the boost he gets from that outweighs any struggles he might have against better players.

I also wanna see him in the shootout. Id love him to pull a Rolston...skate in and blast a slapper.

Possibly, but Morin and Hagg aren't all that similar to Ghost. They're two years younger, and their offensive games are nowhere near as refined.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Possibly, but Morin and Hagg aren't all that similar to Ghost. They're two years younger, and their offensive games are nowhere near as refined.

Exactly. His offense means that even if he struggles defensively he can make up for it by scoring. Morin and Hagg won't be big offensive producers so their defense has to be the most refined part of their game.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Phantoms let him shoot once. He tried to do the Forsberg and it was ugly.

Some of Gostisbehere's ranks among NHL defensemen through 10 games:
1st in Goals/60
3rd in Points/60
3rd in SOG/60
5th in Individual Fenwick/60
7th in Indivual Corsi/60

And watching him play the last few years, he's no where close to as aggressive in the NHL with the puck as I've seen him in the past. I think that will change as he plays more.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The Phantoms let him shoot once. He tried to do the Forsberg and it was ugly.

Some of Gostisbehere's ranks among NHL defensemen through 10 games:
1st in Goals/60
3rd in Points/60
3rd in SOG/60
5th in Individual Fenwick/60
7th in Indivual Corsi/60

And watching him play the last few years, he's no where close to as aggressive in the NHL with the puck as I've seen him in the past. I think that will change as he plays more.

Thats ALL NHL defensemen or just rookies? And is that over JUST the last 10 games or is that compared to everyones complete season?

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
he gives G so much more room on the powerplay now. teams are forced to respect ghost's speed and shot. really layers the complexity of defending us.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

I was talking about Ghost specifically. If Streit never got hurt, Ghost would still be in the AHL. But long term I think the same will apply to Provorov. Sometimes high skill players can be hurt playing with much less skilled ones.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't get that line of thinking. Ghost clearly has shown he was ready but players rarely, if ever get stunted in development by spending time in the AHL. If they don't make the jump there is a reason for it even if they produce.

Also, highly skilled players should and will make average or below average players better. They don't get hurt in development because of poor teammates. These kids are concentrating on the tiny details of the game to make it to the show. Even if the team is performing badly and their numbers aren't what we expect, scouts, gm's and other high operational hockey executives still see what creates a great player. Not just a scoresheet.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He needed those games to work himself back into game shape. He wasn't that good to start the year. Not really surprising. He missed almost a full season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He had a pretty average October. If he had started dominating in November and kept it up Hextall would have found room for him on the Flyers even if Streit was healthy.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
he gives G so much more room on the powerplay now. teams are forced to respect ghost's speed and shot. really layers the complexity of defending us.

that space was evident last night on the pp goal. just enough space to get to vorachek.

ON that pp it is becoming a pick your poison situation.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
He had a pretty average October. If he had started dominating in November and kept it up Hextall would have found room for him on the Flyers even if Streit was healthy.

My point is I dont think he would be putting up these kinds of numbers in the AHL with the players they have down there. I didnt mean it would hurt his development, just his production. Getting to play with better players is going to help him reach his offesnsive potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad