TSN: Shawn Thornton suspended 15 games

bcinterruption

Nov 2, 2006
Boston
I figured it would be about 10-12. I have no problem with this length at all. I just hope Shanahan/the NHL start to consistently use this type of suspension as a benchmark for dirty plays instead of being all over the map.

From a Bruins perspective, it's not the end of the world. We've seen over the past four games that there are a few good players able to step in and contribute that have been riding the pine or playing in Providence.

Semi-related: I would love to hear from some of the conspiracy theorists who think the league favors the Bruins and lets them get away with everything. LOL.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Shawn should have just kneed him in the head.

Or, to totally avoid punishment, taken his glove off the first time he went after him and punched him in the face. That would have just been a 5-minute major and a single game.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Beaten to death but hard to believe that Matt Cooke got nothing for ending a guy's career and Thornton gets 15 for losing it for probably the first time in his career.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
The TOR, CGY, and EDM games do count toward the suspension. So tonight's game will be game 4 of the suspension.

According to my count, his first game back would be against the Sharks on January 11th.

Can any one explain why Ray Emery didn't get a single game for doing exactly what Thornton did?

Inconsistency.

2KA

Oct 15, 2013
Saskatchewan
Seems a bit much but I can't say I'm surprised.

I would of thought for a first time offender more in the 8-10 game range but it is what it is i guess.

With him, Kelly, and Loui out I guess we will get the extended look we wanted with some of the young guys.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
I was thinking 10 would be fine seeing how Thornton hasn't come close to doing anything like this before. Next time just slash a Pen and break their leg. You don't even get a penalty for that. :nod:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Semi-related: I would love to hear from some of the conspiracy theorists who think the league favors the Bruins and lets them get away with everything. LOL.

You'd be amazed. They can turn anything into a pro-Bruins bias from the league. Hell, they'd cite 15 games as being an example of how lenient of treatment we receive. :laugh:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Inconsistency.

Exactly.

I was fully prepared to see 7-8, would've stomached ten.

Honestly, this suspension is about more than just what happened on the ice. It's a confluence of events centered the recent lawsuit and the league wanting to cover it's ass....

....yet the WORST headshot that happened in that game was delivered at the knee of repeat offender James Neal...who got 5 games, in a league where they're trying to convince people that headshots are dangerous and need to be taken out of the game?

Inconsistency. Good job, good effort, Office of Player "Safety."

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
You'd be amazed. They can turn anything into a pro-Bruins bias from the league. Hell, they'd cite 15 games as being an example of how lenient of treatment we receive. :laugh:

They already have. Go to the main board lol.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
I doubt he appeals and wins. What's he going to say in terms of comparable?

He has no record and he knows he deserves a suspension but the current suspension should be reduced. Same thing a lawyer would tell a judge to reduce a prison sentence, happens all the time.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
If Shawn Thornton had skated by Orpik and hit him with an elbow in the face from the blindside he would have only received eight games.

that is what pisses me off. so if you want to hurt someone don't try and get them to fight just knee them in the head when they are on the ice and you will only get 5 games instead of 15.

neal knee to the head and a repeat offender 5 games

thornton trying to get someone to fight and somehow the guy gets hurt still don't see it on the replay how he got hurt - first offense 15 games.

NHL rules are a joke.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
that is what pisses me off. so if you want to hurt someone don't try and get them to fight just knee them in the head when they are on the ice and you will only get 5 games instead of 15.

neal knee to the head and a repeat offender 5 games

thornton trying to get someone to fight and somehow the guy gets hurt still don't see it on the replay how he got hurt - first offense 15 games.

NHL rules are a joke.

If Shawn had just taken off his glove and punched Orpik in the face the first time he would have been given a 5-minute major and a one game suspension.

THINK ABOUT THAT.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I'd wager that Thorty takes his medicine and declines the appeal option (though he may have a case). Just seems like with the long deliberation period + the potential ****storm it might create, Thorty might not feel it's worth the fight. But I'm just speculating.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00