Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It is a team game. Someone bashes Spaling, but he probably does his job good enough to fit on a Cup winner. But if you expect more, you're not going to get it. There's been allot of players play a roll. Some have scored 50 goals in a season with the right center. I think it's more of a Matthias on a disappointing team then him being the disappointment. I sure wasn't expecting anything other then him feeding off his line-mates, and that's what he's given.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Pack your bags Shawn.

You're going to Europe next year.

It's not a vacation either.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up on Matthias... He had an unofficial nickname in florida, something like marchthias, due to him getting a crazy amount of goals and points in march every year. He would make highlight reel goals, crazy plays and just enough to justify his next contract all over again.
Im calling it, you'll love him when he does and will ask for him to be re-signed.

Why would we love him if he scores a bunch of meaningless points in March? That would actually be a detriment to us, not a benefit.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
I don't get the Poni comparison at all. Ponikarovsky had better hands and vision. He could actually make and finish some plays playing with skilled players... certainly better than Shawn can anyway.

Matthias is more of a Chad Kilger type, I guess, though I remember Chad scored 15 goals one season. I guess Matthias is akin to Chad earlier in his career.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If they are lucky to trade at the deadline it will be 3rd or 4th at best

Its not so odd to discover that the player doesn't quite live up to expectations for me so much.

What is odd is the kind of return we think we can get for a player that is unsigned by any club in mid (or late) summer and is willing to play for Leafs on a one-year contract. That should be an indication or hint generally speaking (always the odd exception) of "market value" and the return that we can expect.

To me, these bargain basement 1 year UFAs will not return a 1st, 2nd or 3rd very frequently, so I'm always a little surprised to see so many predicting this kind of return.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
matthias, spaling, and boyes can gtfo this team...replace them with leivo, brown, and nylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad