Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
The problem is, we have too many of these "role" players on the team. Literally 85% of the roster consists of these players

Aside from our top line, the rest of our forwards are 3rd/4th liners on a good team

aarons3005

GT: JustCaIIMeRonny
Feb 13, 2013
Ottawa, ON
he's been the most disappointing of these bargain bin signings. Honestly forget he's on the team all the time. And he got the most money out of the bargain bin guys

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
The problem is, we have too many of these "role" players on the team. Literally 85% of the roster consists of these players

Aside from our top line, the rest of our forwards are 3rd/4th liners on a good team

Top line! Komorav is back to reality and Grabner well enough said. Some top line! Babcock has set up top line as defensive unit. You know like most teams third line.... Kadri has reasonable to good third line center numbers.

You know I think we are critical of individual stats and play but still it is a team game. JVR was scoring some goals when Bozak was going and Parenteau had a bit of a run. Both Bozac and Parenteau are now doing nothing so it is hard for third guy on that line to make anything happen. Komorav and Grabner surely have not helped Kadri's stats.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Like I said earlier in this thread when he was signed: a high end 4th liner.

His overpayment took advantage of an abnormally lucky shooting % last season. He's also been highly sheltered by Babcock -- his ZSO%Rel has gone from -1.2% (used in a fairly neutral/slightly more defensive role by VAN) to a massive 9.6%. Incidentally, his production rate (points/60min) is identical this year vs last at 1.4, which is where he's been practically every season he's played in the NHL.

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
I don't know how Matthias scored 18 goals somewhere but if I hadn't seen him score a goal this year I'd think that was Carter Ashton.

Wasn't Carter Ashton only getting 2 minutes of ice time from Carlyle when he was up with the leafs though? I doubt even the most skilled goal scorers could have accomplished much with that ice time. He is listed as having 13 goals in 43 games this year in the khl for what its worth. The way I see it, Matthias won't be here for long, he is an overpaid place holder until the actual talent makes it way up from the farm.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I actually don't mind the way that Matthias plays.

But he's a role player at best and this team is filled with them and that's a huge problem.
Because when you start relying on guys that should be playing on 3rd lines anywhere else in the league, you set yourself up for failure.

Matthias seems like he brings an effort every game and that's okay with me.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I haven't seen him do anything useful in 48 games.

$2.3mil to be invisible man. At least hes better than Spaling.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

But he's a role player at best and this team is filled with them and that's a huge problem.
Because when you start relying on guys that should be playing on 3rd lines anywhere else in the league, you set yourself up for failure.

This.

Seems like the majority of people get caught up with numbers. Matthias has been snake bit, but he's been playing a good game, creating lots of chances for himself & others.

If any of the experts here took a look at his contract they might be able to understand his value to a playoff team looking for depth.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Nice. Could be a hot commodity at the deadline. Big center. Maybe this means the end of Bozak.

One of the few FA I looked at during the course of the year with some interest. Figured he would be a great 1 year rental that we can pawn off at the deadline for a 2nd rounder or B+ prospect (much like Santorelli).

I REALLY felt he was going to sign a longer deal though so I didn't think we would get him. Figured 2-3 years at around $2-3M was a sure thing.

Happy about this. It's basically buying a 2nd rounder/B+ prospect.

Pretty much seals Bozaks fate. Babcock says he expects Kadri to be an elite player this year, so likely he gets #1c minutes. Then Holland and Matthias, and Dubas said Spaling will move back to centre this year.

I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment at next year's deadline. I doubt we're going to be dealing as many players as people hope.

Re: Matthias. Interesting signing. Surprised he didn't get more attention.

I wonder if Bozak will be moved and if we will get the 2nd rounder? On the 2nd rounder, I hope so - about the best that I can say.

[NOTE - Not pointing at anyone here - just took a sample]

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Agreed.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hes been very disappointing thus far. Also a very good example of the growing gap in cap hits between bargain basement and star players. Matthias makes the most of our bargain bin guys and hes arguably the worst of the bunch. We could easily have replaced him with a guy making 40% of what he makes. if you cant sign these guys to 1yr/1.5m or less then move on

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
I like Matthias. He has worked hard and has been one of the those such as Winnik, Komarov, Spaling, Parenteau that have helped to reset what it means to be a Leaf.

He is obviously not a top point scorer, but his attributes are a good compliment for a young re-building team.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
I don't think Komarov is comparable to Matthias or Spaling at all. He's been far better than both.

Grabner's probably the best overall player out of those "spot holder" types. Grabner is dependable defensively and good on the PK. His speed can still be an asset, although his scoring touch is almost non-existent now. PAP has some use because he can still score under the right circumstances. Matthias is merely a grinder-type with good size and strength. A team that wants to add some bottom six size may take him, but I wouldn't expect much in return. Spaling is just there mostly.

I'm thinking they may get:

A third or fourth rounder for Grabner.
A second (if he gets back to scoring/producing in the next month) or third for PAP
A fourth or fifth rounder for Matthias if they're lucky.
An Aki Berg autographed rookie card for Spaling.

Polak and Reimer (if they choose to trade him - and I would) should have more trade value.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up on Matthias... He had an unofficial nickname in florida, something like marchthias, due to him getting a crazy amount of goals and points in march every year. He would make highlight reel goals, crazy plays and just enough to justify his next contract all over again.
Im calling it, you'll love him when he does and will ask for him to be re-signed.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up on Matthias... He had an unofficial nickname in florida, something like marchthias, due to him getting a crazy amount of goals and points in march every year. He would make highlight reel goals, crazy plays and just enough to justify his next contract all over again.
Im calling it, you'll love him when he does and will ask for him to be re-signed.

He'll be on another team by March

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad