Rumor: Shaw not available in trade, but Galchenyuk is?

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
The ironic thing is Galchenyuk has shown a ridiculous amount of character with all the **** shoveled his way over the past year or so and has never once complained. He went out and played hockey. This season he's putting in amazing effort and has seemingly become the player that management wanted him to become, which is a hard worker with tons of skill.

Instead, the organization goes out and takes Chucky out of his position for a guy who demanded a trade, didn't report to the AHL and got suspended for it, and gives Pacioretty every chance in the book despite him putting in NO effort whatsoever for the majority of this season because he shuts down when things get tough.

This is ridiculous.
It's only "character" if it fits into a certain preconceived mold.

PK showing up in 15-16 when the rest of the team mailed it in was not seen as a character move, and similarly Galchy having a decent season in spite of 4th line minutes, crappy linemates, out of position, etc., will not be seen as a character move.

I guess you have to be a no-talent, overpaid grinder, with certain "untangibles" to really have character for this organization. In Shaw's case, obviously being a good ol' Canadian boy and having that Chicago pedigree goes a long long way.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Character >>>> Talent.

We all know this to be true. You win with guys like Shaw in the NHL, just look at how many cups he has.

Chucky can get you a centre prospect. Shaw can get you a 2nd. What do we need more??

Just because players are available or not is not saying they have equal value. Why is everyone so bent out of shape over this?? The same crappy source (Dreger) said that if Bergevin gets a decent offer for Shaw that he'd probably take it. Take it easy...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
What's ridiculous is you painting Galchenyuk as some kinda saint while vilifying Drouin & Pacioretty.

Ah man...it's a good thing the crap NHL players do outside the rink doesn't really make it out to the public.

Yikes!
Which is why I'm talking about facts and stuff that IS out there, and not bring up stuff that happened outside the rink that isn't in the news and doesn't have any proof, as that would be libelous.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You don`t trade your best player because he will return the most. You don`t see the Pens trading Crosby because he would return the most. And no, I am not comparing Crosby and Galchenyuk.

Yet we're all pretty much in agreement that the Habs should trade Pacioretty.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Which is why I'm talking about facts and stuff that IS out there, and not bring up stuff that happened outside the rink that isn't in the news and doesn't have any proof, as that would be libelous.
So am I

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We can't score goals, and the talk is Max and Chucky are both available....................

Who are the last two 30 goal men for the Habs....................Alex, I'll take morons for 1000

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
This is Darren Dreger we're talking about. He knows less about the Canadiens then anyone out there. His source isn't in the Habs but "what he's hearing out there."

Guy has zero cred in my books. Wouldn't be surprised to see Shaw be the first player to get traded and Dreger talk it back with the "well you just never know."

More to stress about in Habs world than this comment.
I'll go with the offer was 'too good to pass up' even if Shaw nets a 3rd round pick + a salary dump.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
What's ridiculous is you painting Galchenyuk as some kinda saint while vilifying Drouin & Pacioretty.

Ah man...it's a good thing the crap NHL players do outside the rink doesn't really make it out to the public.

Yikes!

So share with us, what do you know? We won't tell your source.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Want to trade Pacioretty for complete lack of effort, not on the basis of because he would fetch the most.
The fact he could fetch the most probably has something to do with it, wouldn't you say?

Look, i'm not talking about giving Galchenyuk away...but the Habs clearly need help in a of areas and if a team is interested in Galchenyuk, the Habs are more than likely able to get more for Galchenyuk than they would for Shaw.

I mean, how can you seriously argue against that?

Once more, that doesn't mean I want him traded...but if a team is willing to pony up for Galchenyuk, how can you not consider it?

Habs are 2nd last in the Eastern Conference, no one should be untouchable.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I guess you have to be a no-talent, overpaid grinder, with certain "untangibles" to really have character for this organization. In Shaw's case, obviously being a good ol' Canadian boy and having that Chicago pedigree goes a long long way.

I'm not surprised by Bergevin's infatuation with Shaw. Don't need Dreger, Wilde or whomever to confirm it.

We've seen how taken Bergevin is with anything-Chicago, his nostalgia for players associated with Hawks Cup wins, sees no bounds.

Shaw is a third liner at best, not a true center, has concussion issues and given the style of play he favors, is at a disadvantage against bigger and tougher players, which makes him vulnerable to further concussions.

Only way Bergevin doesn't keep inflicting damage on this franchise is if some other GM saves him from himself.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's only "character" if it fits into a certain preconceived mold.

PK showing up in 15-16 when the rest of the team mailed it in was not seen as a character move, and similarly Galchy having a decent season in spite of 4th line minutes, crappy linemates, out of position, etc., will not be seen as a character move.

We are going for JT all right but not the one that posters have filled 500 pages speculating about.:laugh:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
While i'm not even buying this 'rumor' even slightly...

Who do you guys think is more likely to get the Habs what they need/want

Alex Galchenyuk or Andrew Shaw?

I think you're overestimating the trade value of a unproven Galchenyuk that's UFA in 2020.

What Habs need is more young talent. How will trading away one of the few they have add to their hole?

Reactions: Habs Icing

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think you're overestimating the trade value of a unproven Galchenyuk that's UFA in 2020.

What Habs need is more young talent. How will trading away one of the few they have add to their hole?
Perhaps I am...

you still can't convince he they could get more for Shaw though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad