Boston Globe Shaughnessy throws Marchand under the zamboni

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I hate that I’m on the same side of the fence as him.

I still haven’t come to forgive Marchand for costing us a chance in that game in exchange for 8 extra seconds of rest.

1-0 after 1 they win that game.

2-0 sucked the air out of the garden and allowed the blues to pack it in hard on defense, clogging every lane and blocking every shot.

Had we not won one game in June 2011, we’d look at that change the same way we looked at the ball going through Buckner’s legs in ‘86...

We'd blame John McNamara for it? :naughty:

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
While I like Marchand and would almost never trade him, I was very disgusted when I saw pictures of him acting like a jackass at a bar with no shirt on. He was celebrating conspicuously and basically acting the fool. IMO he has no feelings of guilt etc pertaining to how much of a game killer that was in game 7 as he lives for the moment.
It does feel like the best of times for this crew has crept up and a Stanley Cup last June would've
smoothed over the last few years of the core. Now, we'll see what happens this spring but I hope that deep down inside Marchand realizes that he not only robbed himself of another SC but he also seemed to take lightly what it would've meant for Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, Rask and even Backes. Brad has an "easy come, easy go" kind of swagger to him but he needs to realize that his (sometimes selfish) actions reflect and can hurt others on the team.

Marchand is on record in saying that he feels deeply guilty about what went down in G7 and feels that he let his teammates down. He's said that he was in a dark place for some time afterwards and he'll never really get over it. Images of Brad in tears after the loss were wonderful fodder for all the haters he's accumulated over the years, largely by his own doing it has to be admitted. I believe what he says and that he took the loss hard and personally.

He's a complicated character. Every now and then he does stupid things, or he will make a play or do something silly that makes it look like he's not really engaged and unaware of the wider ramifications of his actions. It's easy to look at him and think that, as you say, he's just a 'live for the moment' guy, and that's certainly the image he projects of himself most of the time. But I don't think it's quite right, and I think part of how he carries himself is a deliberate cover for the more sensitive side of his personality. Unless he's one hell of an actor Bergeron genuinely likes and respects Marchy, and I feel like he wouldn't unless Brad really was a decent person and a caring, reliable teammate.

He has a blind spot that sometimes leads him to make mistakes, and an aggressive streak and occasional lack of self-control that's improved over the years but you suspect will always be with him to some extent. He's certainly not high on my list of favorite Bruins because of that abrasive side he has. Despite that, I do think he cares and takes the game and his responsibilities more seriously than some may suppose, and I don't doubt that he's done just about everything possible to be a good Bruin and drive his team towards success.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
While I like Marchand and would almost never trade him, I was very disgusted when I saw pictures of him acting like a jackass at a bar with no shirt on. He was celebrating conspicuously and basically acting the fool. IMO he has no feelings of guilt etc pertaining to how much of a game killer that was in game 7 as he lives for the moment.
It does feel like the best of times for this crew has crept up and a Stanley Cup last June would've
smoothed over the last few years of the core. Now, we'll see what happens this spring but I hope that deep down inside Marchand realizes that he not only robbed himself of another SC but he also seemed to take lightly what it would've meant for Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, Rask and even Backes. Brad has an "easy come, easy go" kind of swagger to him but he needs to realize that his (sometimes selfish) actions reflect and can hurt others on the team.

He was f***ing sobbing on the ice

Are you kidding me with this he took it lightly nonsense?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Like when the 04 Sox were down 3-0 in games to the Yankees and they were seen out eating and laughing that night? Players are not fans,they didn't grow up here,living and breathing every sports moment after being potty trained til death. They are mostly transients,still refer to the home team as "Boston" and not the more intimate,"Bruins." Most get over it quickly,most fans-never.

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
956abb12-e5fb-4984-a2df-538b084558e1.gif

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I hate that I’m on the same side of the fence as him.

I still haven’t come to forgive Marchand for costing us a chance in that game in exchange for 8 extra seconds of rest.

1-0 after 1 they win that game.

2-0 sucked the air out of the garden and allowed the blues to pack it in hard on defense, clogging every lane and blocking every shot.

Had we not won one game in June 2011, we’d look at that change the same way we looked at the ball going through Buckner’s legs in ‘86...

I was upset then I remembered he has won us a cup before, is arguably our best player, and that we wouldn’t be there without him

pretty easy to forgive for me. Playas f*** up.

Shaughnessy can lick a Dunkin’ Donuts urinal. I wish I knew that his sister was one of my middle school teachers when I did, I would’ve antagonized the shit out of her. Ask her how CHB was doing and everything.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think it’s incredibly unfair to hang that series or even the loss of that game on Marchand.

This guy led the playoffs in scoring while being one of our top defensive players and PK’ers, we should be nothing but grateful he plays here, and at a discount!

Besides, there were other players just as culpable for that goal...

Why is Marchand the last guy back? Both D are up ice. Marchand is 1on1 with Schwartz and he does about as good a job as a forward can, standing him up at the blue line and forcing Schwartz to dump it into the corner.

Where are the other backcheckers? We expect Marchand to go from standing up at the blue line to catching Petro in flight? Why isn’t that on Pasta? He’s the one skating toward his own goal, he’s the one who tries to stick check Petro on the goal. If he hadn’t relaxed and stopped skating in the neutral zone he would have been in position to break him up.

And here’s the real kicker: where is Bergeron? Watch the video. He is gliding out of the offensive zone and casually going for a change. He makes the worst change of all. You never change when the other team has the puck in your zone.

The guy we see jumping on the ice, the guy who gets there too late to help in all the videos, is Charlie Coyle. People blame Marchand for that change, but centers go for centers on line changes. Coyle was replacing Bergeron, not Marchand.

Okay, I appreciate this take.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Bruins weren't winning anyways....they did give up the third goal....and then the fourth goal as well, all while scoring one...Not sure where the narrative of the "Blues would have lost being up 1-0, not 2-0" even comes from. I mean the Blues were up 2-0 after twenty one minutes game one and couldn't shut the door then either.
WE will never know if Bruins would have won down 0-1..." speculation

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I don't blame Marchand, I blame the league and their piss poor officiating. The series never should have gone seven games if they had called the blatant penalties as they should have. If Shaughnessy wants to write an article he should write an article about that. The league had already acknowledged its officials had missed game changing calls earlier in the playoffs they certainly weren't going to put a further 'black eye' on the the league and the officials especially in the finals, so they said nothing at all hoping it goes away and people forget. I think if the league doesn't address this problem we are going to see more and more coaches and players showing frustration one way or another with in game officiating ... and someone may get seriously hurt and the league will have an even bigger PR problem on it's hands then just bad officiating.
Yeah, I'm still angry ... I can count at least 3 or 4 suspension worthy noncalls and at least one 5 minute major power play noncall, all of which would have been called any other time of year.

With the second goal and Marchand I watched it when it happened and have watched the replay a few times ... I still think and I can't prove it is, at some point as he was skating back past the bench he was called to the bench. His reaction once the puck went deep wasn't to stay on the ice but to get to the bench.
At this point no matter how we may look at it, it is done and over with. Learn from it, if we can, and move on.

This

Reactions: bruins19

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I think it’s incredibly unfair to hang that series or even the loss of that game on Marchand.

This guy led the playoffs in scoring while being one of our top defensive players and PK’ers, we should be nothing but grateful he plays here, and at a discount!

Why is Marchand the last guy back? Both D are up ice. Marchand is 1on1 with Schwartz and he does about as good a job as a forward can, standing him up at the blue line and forcing Schwartz to dump it into the corner.

Where are the other backcheckers? We expect Marchand to go from standing up at the blue line to catching Petro in flight? Why isn’t that on Pasta? He’s the one skating toward his own goal, he’s the one who tries to stick check Petro on the goal. If he hadn’t relaxed and stopped skating in the neutral zone he would have been in position to break him up.

And here’s the real kicker: where is Bergeron? Watch the video. He is gliding out of the offensive zone and casually going for a change. He makes the worst change of all. You never change when the other team has the puck in your zone.

The guy we see jumping on the ice, the guy who gets there too late to help in all the videos, is Charlie Coyle. People blame Marchand for that change, but centers go for centers on line changes. Coyle was replacing Bergeron, not Marchand.
Imo this post is wrong... Marchand lost his man for a change at 8 seconds. Bad decision like other bad decisions come along a game.but that goal was specifically on Marchand ! It did change the game.,. But without Marchand they don’t go in game 7 and btw we never lose a game of hockey with one mistake... Bruins should have just been better.

member 96824

Bruins weren't winning anyways....they did give up the third goal....and then the fourth goal as well, all while scoring one...Not sure where the narrative of the "Blues would have lost being up 1-0, not 2-0" even comes from. I mean the Blues were up 2-0 after twenty one minutes game one and couldn't shut the door then either.

They absolutely dominated that first period. Garden was electric, team easily had the better step. Even after the first goal they were pedal to the metal. Just a tip that got by, not a worry.

After the second goal, it was a funeral.

Oh well, it is what it is. Some are content with 1, still pounding the chest about 2011 like the parade just wrapped up. I just hope I don’t have to tell my daughter about the time they were so close 39 years from now.

Luckily they’re on track for a date with redemption this year.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I agree.Mojo had goalie at his mercy and did not wait split second longer or Bruins go up early.Its in past now.Great run Great try.Proud of that team

Reactions: PlayMakers

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It’s strange to me people are obsessed with finding a singular event to pin that game on. It was a stupid play by Marchand, but it feels pretty forced in that people seem to be attempting to manufacture a “too many men” type moment in which to aim all their frustrations. Not the reality of that game or series IMO.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The best part is “And I am by no means picking on Brad Marchand, one of our town’s toughest and best performers.”

That's Shank-ese for "Next I am going to rip into one of our town's toughest and best performers". He's as predictable as the tides.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Everyone deals with grief in different ways. Some people just want to be locked in their room bawling their eyes out, others want to go get ****faced and forget about it all. Just like you don't tell people what to do with their money, you don't tell someone how to grieve.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That's Shank-ese for "Next I am going to rip into one of our town's toughest and best performers". He's as predictable as the tides.
It’s no different than saying “No offense but..” before saying something offensive.

Stick to the Sox sir, there’s plenty to write about there.

Would love to know how many games he’s watched this year before writing this great piece.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Everyone deals with grief in different ways. Some people just want to be locked in their room bawling their eyes out, others want to go get ****faced and forget about it all. Just like you don't tell people what to do with their money, you don't tell someone how to grieve.
How the **** did you go there? I wasn't telling anyone how to grieve ffs. BTW: SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It’s no different than saying “No offense but..” before saying something offensive.

Stick to the Sox sir, there’s plenty to write about there.

Would love to know how many games he’s watched this year before writing this great piece.
I'd like to know how many Bruins games in his life he's actually watched, never-mind has gone to...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad