Boston Globe Shaughnessy throws Marchand under the zamboni

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Whatever makes for a good story I guess

A lot of sports writers these days seem to just like to indulge in their love of writing but it’s all rehashed and loosely connected

You have to search far and wide for actual in depth analysis. We have a couple good ones, including some posters here, but when it comes to hockey I generally steer clear of the top dogs

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
marchand probably isnt perfect

shaugnessey seems pretty useless

marchand got us to game 7... wasnt perfect every night doing so, but was one of the top 3-4 mvps in the entire nhl.

shaugnessey might have written a couple articles during the year that didnt completely suck... but I didnt read them so im not sure

in the heat of game 7... biggest moment in sports... carrying the whole team on his back... marchand might have had less than a perfect moment.

shaugnessey probably couldnt make much difference in his beer league team winning or losing a meaningless game on a wedneday night... so whatever

hell a lot of the posters here on this forum probably are much better jocks than shaugnessey when it comes right down to it

will I criticise what marchand was doing on that line change? will I think I can put myself into his skates?

the guy has been proving me wrong for years now... i remember I said we shouldnt resign him and all he has done is become one of the 3-4 best players in the nhl the past 3-4 years

if marchand gets another chance at game 7... im sure he will do his best to win the game for us. one thing im sure of, we wont even get to game 7 if hes not carrying us there on his back

shaugnessey can write 1000 of these columns and it wont make a spit of difference whether this city gets another championship or not

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
McAvoy and Grizz were in position and both get dangled and Rask should have made the save. Blowing the opportunity on the PP was worse.

Shaughnesseys a *****e and been waiting for years to write this. I doubt any of the 4 teams miss the next playoffs. Sox will at least get a Wildcard Pats will win the East and Bruins and Celtics are both firmly in. Get lost.

Not sure what to expect this year but I think the Sox making the playoffs and Sale needing season ending shoulder surgery in May or June are about equal odds.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I haven’t posted in a while, but I can’t bite my tongue on this one. It seems to me that that writers and yakkers in this town WANT a return to “Loserville” and can’t wait for the championships to end.

**** ‘em in the liver.

That’s why I don’t listen to ‘EEI or The Sports Hub AT ALL anymore, and I don’t click on the stories. I just watch the games and let the chips fall where they may. I get updates and breaking news alerts on my phone and that’s fine with me. It frees up a lot of time and energy to let me enjoy sports and the rest of my everyday life.

No opinion.

No snark.

No smarmy loser hack writers employed by irrelevant self-important newspapers.

Life is good.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My fav are the people that don’t think players can go live their lives after a loss if they didn’t cry for enough time

****in hilarious the entitlement some people have

Have some perspective, it’s a god damn game. It stinks they lost. Great. You can wake up tomorrow.

While I appreciate this I kind of get it....but who hates to lose more? A guy making six million per year or the season ticket holder for the past forty years that has paid tens of thousands of dollars wanting to see a Cup rasied on home ice?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Said this before and will say it again. Blaming Marchand for that 2nd goal is not only short sighted but also a loser mentality. They win as a team and they lose as a team.

That being said.. lots of mistakes on that play by the players on and off the ice. Although they absolutely dominate that first period, they couldn't capitalize on their chances. Something that we've seen plenty of times before... the whole team wasn't ready to do what it takes at all costs to win that ultimate game.

They simply didn't want it enough, they believed they were a superior team and could win it on talent alone.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Imo this post is wrong... Marchand lost his man for a change at 8 seconds. Bad decision like other bad decisions come along a game.but that goal was specifically on Marchand ! It did change the game.,. But without Marchand they don’t go in game 7 and btw we never lose a game of hockey with one mistake... Bruins should have just been better.
Or Rask could make a game 7 series save.

He let in 4 of the first 18?

You are not winning anything like that,

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Marchand made a mistake. Yup he is human. He us also one of the best producers in the league, goes to war for this team like no other. Terrible writing imo, looking for shock value.

Reactions: Mully and Ladyfan

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I love Marchand,but he isn’t wrong about that play or the consequences in the game or the golden wasted opportunity of another cup, sorry was trying to forget game 7 this brought it all back, thanks a lot Shaun.Now don’t get me wrong still love Brad,
but he did fu’k up,it happens. Rask could have been better also, hard to fault him because he had been so good, great most of the playoffs ,but Billington was definitely better game seven, that’s the problem of going into a game seven, a hot goalie, a mistake brain fart can be the difference,it never should have had to get to a game seven,Bruins were the better team,in talent anyway unfortunately they couldn’t match the Blues physical play,but that’s another argument for another post.Lol

Last edited:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
While I appreciate this I kind of get it....but who hates to lose more? A guy making six million per year or the season ticket holder for the past forty years that has paid tens of thousands of dollars wanting to see a Cup rasied on home ice?
Imo a season ticket holder for 40 years probably hopes for A SC win on home ice but also knows it might never happen. I hope he goes there and pay all that money for the fun of the game, garden and friends he made.

Imo, to win you need to want it alot, be the best of the best and accept pain and all what it needs. And that is only possible going thru the players. Paying a ticket won’t get you thru this. Ticket holder can only hope. The one that hate losing and deserve winning are only the player imo. Fans have nothing to do in that equation.

Reactions: CDJ

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
and these guys have been winning and losing big hockey games since they were 15 years old. They spent too much time as kids actually playing the game instead of watching it on TV to develop the same (unhealthy?) intensity of fan-dom that people like us have

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
He writes the article like Bruins and sports fans in Boston haven’t seen a championship(s). I think Toronto would love to even just makes the finals. Seems to me that he writes an article a year and pisses on something about the Bruins. I guess he just met his 2020 quota for that.....

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
I just want to add to my original post for this section.

One of the most overlooked factors in last year's SC final was the almost 2 week break the Bruins had before Game 1.

Rask was lights out during the playoffs especially the ECF final and just never found his grove back after the long delay.

2 weeks off for any hockey team playing at that level is almost impossible to get back to physically and mentally.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
My second post in as many days.

I got an email asking for my feedback about the game my wife and I attended last month. I’m here to say that it felt good to have a chance to actually have my opinion read by someone who might actually care what I think.

I mentioned how much I strenuously disliked the smaller seats in the 300 level, and that I WLL NOT attend another Bruins home game until that is addressed in some fashion.

And not only am I not attending Bruins home games, I actively try to dissuade people I know from going as well. I seem to get pretty good responses when I tell them about the cramped quarters and vastly overpriced food.

When I DO feel like watching the Bruins, I’m content to do so from the comfort of my living room with pizza and scotch.

It’s just better that way.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I just want to add to my original post for this section.

One of the most overlooked factors in last year's SC final was the almost 2 week break the Bruins had before Game 1.

Rask was lights out during the playoffs especially the ECF final and just never found his grove back after the long delay.

2 weeks off for any hockey team playing at that level is almost impossible to get back to physically and mentally.
The Bruins won game one game 3-2 and plus they had a lead in game two. The lay-off was a long wait but they got past all of that.

mt77850

Jul 13, 2004
Waltham, MA
Honestly I don't think the Bruins were going to win that game whether it was 1-0 or 2-0 at the end of the period. By game 7 they were physically and emotionally dead. The fail by Marchand was big but I felt the bigger problem in that series and really after like game 3 was that the Bruins didn't make adjustments to their game. The Blues were head hunting but the officials let most of it go.......and the Bruins really didn't respond at all. I blame the coaching staff for not telling their guys to go out and do exactly what St. Louis was doing to them. They were clearly targeting the Bruins' best players and I felt actually trying to hurt them. It infuriated me that the Bruins didn't target Tarsenko and O'Reilly in the same way. The Bruins had a good penalty kill and powerplay so why were they so afraid to respond? I just didn't get it. Anyhow there were far more reasons for losing that series than Marchand's gaff. Losing games 2 and 5 the way they did were killers too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad