Boston Globe Shaughnessy throws Marchand under the zamboni

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am surprised it took 7 months

Are the championship days over in Boston? - The Boston Globe

The championship days may be over. We’ve had it too good for too long, and in recent days things have taken a dramatic turn for the worse. The Patriots just had their earliest playoff elimination in 10 years and Tom Brady might be done in New England. The Red Sox are a mess, suspected of cheating, with no manager, and Mookie Betts might be on his way out of town. The Celtics don’t have the size or skill to go all the way, and the Bruins lost another shootout the other night when one of their best players whiffed on a penalty shot.

I have a theory of when everything changed. And I am by no means picking on Brad Marchand, one of our town’s toughest and best performers.

I believe everything changed for us in the final seconds of the first period of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Blues way back on June 12. The Bruins were trailing, 1-0, as the clock ticked toward zero in the first. The Bruins were playing at home — the Cup was in the house — and we all figured they would take charge and win the Stanley Cup over the final two periods.

Then came the moment — the Boston sports equivalent of the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand.

In the “meaningless” closing seconds of the period, Marchand — gassed at the end of a long shift — made a half-hearted effort to check Blues winger Jaden Schwartz, then skated off to the Bruins’ bench. While the Bruins were unexpectedly short a man, Alex Pietrangelo took a pass from Schwartz, skated free toward the net, and potted a backhander past a defenseless Tuukka Rask. All this eight seconds before the horn sounded.

That was it. The oxygen was sucked from the Garden. The blood drained from our faces. It was 2-0 instead of 1-0 after one, and hearts sank around New England. It was clear in that moment that the Bruins were not going to win the Stanley Cup on their home ice for the first time in 49 years. After eight weeks of pulsating playoffs, they limped to a 4-1 loss in the biggest game of most of their lives.

And much as I hate to say it, that might have been the beginning of the end of Boston’s 21st century, chest-thumping, duckboat-rollin’, sports high renaissance.

Reactions: smithformeragent

member 96824

I hate that I’m on the same side of the fence as him.

I still haven’t come to forgive Marchand for costing us a chance in that game in exchange for 8 extra seconds of rest.

1-0 after 1 they win that game.

2-0 sucked the air out of the garden and allowed the blues to pack it in hard on defense, clogging every lane and blocking every shot.

Had we not won one game in June 2011, we’d look at that change the same way we looked at the ball going through Buckner’s legs in ‘86...

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It all goes back to the Lil’ Ball O’ Hate and his decision to bolt for the bench with a few seconds left in the first period of Game 7.

I approached Marchand last October to ask about it.

“I’m not really talking about that anymore,’’ he answered politely. “We’re moving forward.’’

Yes. We are all moving forward.

But it feels like the best times are behind us.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].

Reactions: Strafer

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I doubt there's any correlation to the Pats, Sox, and Celts, but agree with his assessment of the magnitude of Marchand's blunder.

In our Post Game Discussion of Game 7, I compared it to Scott Norwood's missed field goal.

Seven months of hindsight hasn't changed that assessment.

Like others, I have avoided clips of the Blues celebrating (though I take nothing away from them). Last Wednesday NBC did a follow up on Laila and the successful transplant she received; which undoubtedly is a beautiful story.

But when they showed clips of the Blues celebrating on Boston ice, as well as their parade, I was immediately filled with disdain for Marchand.

Call me irrational, the shoe fits.;)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It all goes back to the Lil’ Ball O’ Hate and his decision to bolt for the bench with a few seconds left in the first period of Game 7.

I approached Marchand last October to ask about it.

“I’m not really talking about that anymore,’’ he answered politely. “We’re moving forward.’’

Yes. We are all moving forward.

But it feels like the best times are behind us.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].

While I like Marchand and would almost never trade him, I was very disgusted when I saw pictures of him acting like a jackass at a bar with no shirt on. He was celebrating conspicuously and basically acting the fool. IMO he has no feelings of guilt etc pertaining to how much of a game killer that was in game 7 as he lives for the moment.
It does feel like the best of times for this crew has crept up and a Stanley Cup last June would've
smoothed over the last few years of the core. Now, we'll see what happens this spring but I hope that deep down inside Marchand realizes that he not only robbed himself of another SC but he also seemed to take lightly what it would've meant for Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, Rask and even Backes. Brad has an "easy come, easy go" kind of swagger to him but he needs to realize that his (sometimes selfish) actions reflect and can hurt others on the team.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
At the end of the day your best players need to be your best players in a game like that.

Ours were not, highlighted by Brad Marchand and that gap in judgment. (I love Marshy, love the way he plays for the record.)

Last year the seas parted and the sun shined down on the black and gold with TB and Washington out first round. I don't see them having that luck again.

Not to take anything away from that run last year but you best believe your having to go through TB or Washington if not both this year. That's no easy task.

My personal opinion is unless DS makes some good significant changes this year this team reaks of a first round departure IMO.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Well, he's not wrong about the significance of what Marchand did in game 7 of the SCF. That second goal was indeed the back-breaker.

Shank doesn't know a blue line from a clothesline. Him commenting on hockey is nothing but another chance for him to tear down yet another Boston team. That's his only shtick these days and Marchand's mistake is just a means to that end. He's a f***ing hack.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think it’s incredibly unfair to hang that series or even the loss of that game on Marchand.

This guy led the playoffs in scoring while being one of our top defensive players and PK’ers, we should be nothing but grateful he plays here, and at a discount!

Besides, there were other players just as culpable for that goal...

Why is Marchand the last guy back? Both D are up ice. Marchand is 1on1 with Schwartz and he does about as good a job as a forward can, standing him up at the blue line and forcing Schwartz to dump it into the corner.

Where are the other backcheckers? We expect Marchand to go from standing up at the blue line to catching Petro in flight? Why isn’t that on Pasta? He’s the one skating toward his own goal, he’s the one who tries to stick check Petro on the goal. If he hadn’t relaxed and stopped skating in the neutral zone he would have been in position to break him up.

And here’s the real kicker: where is Bergeron? Watch the video. He is gliding out of the offensive zone and casually going for a change. He makes the worst change of all. You never change when the other team has the puck in your zone.

The guy we see jumping on the ice, the guy who gets there too late to help in all the videos, is Charlie Coyle. People blame Marchand for that change, but centers go for centers on line changes. Coyle was replacing Bergeron, not Marchand.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Hard for me to remember a Dan Shaunassy article that wasn’t filled with smart and “cleverest boy in the room” schtick. He’s not a reporter, he’s nothing more than a tedious judgement opinion guy IMO.

Stopped reading him years ago and long ago stopped giving any re-postings of his “work” any credence. Would suggest others do likewise. He’s like the worst negative doom and gloom posters on HF. In my view it’s best to put him on equivalent of ignore. Cancel culture gets all kinds of hysteria, but sometimes it’s entirely appropriate.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
What a horrible take. Cute that the son of a bitch waited until Brad has had the flu and in a slump by his standards.

Brad had 23 points in the playoffs and was one of the key reasons for the Bs success. The Bs arguably lost that series before game 7. Perhaps pinning blame on any number of guys who couldn't come through with a goal in several instances that would have given the Bs the Cup before game 7 would be a more intelligent line of thinking. This article is absolutely insane. Almost everything about his take is f***ing stupid. f*** this idiot for writing this hyperbolic drivel, and f*** him even more for the timing. Good grief.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
McAvoy and Grizz were in position and both get dangled and Rask should have made the save. Blowing the opportunity on the PP was worse.

Shaughnesseys a douche and been waiting for years to write this. I doubt any of the 4 teams miss the next playoffs. Sox will at least get a Wildcard Pats will win the East and Bruins and Celtics are both firmly in. Get lost.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I am surprised it took 7 months

Are the championship days over in Boston? - The Boston Globe

The championship days may be over. We’ve had it too good for too long, and in recent days things have taken a dramatic turn for the worse. The Patriots just had their earliest playoff elimination in 10 years and Tom Brady might be done in New England. The Red Sox are a mess, suspected of cheating, with no manager, and Mookie Betts might be on his way out of town. The Celtics don’t have the size or skill to go all the way, and the Bruins lost another shootout the other night when one of their best players whiffed on a penalty shot.

I have a theory of when everything changed. And I am by no means picking on Brad Marchand, one of our town’s toughest and best performers.

I believe everything changed for us in the final seconds of the first period of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Blues way back on June 12. The Bruins were trailing, 1-0, as the clock ticked toward zero in the first. The Bruins were playing at home — the Cup was in the house — and we all figured they would take charge and win the Stanley Cup over the final two periods.

Then came the moment — the Boston sports equivalent of the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand.

In the “meaningless” closing seconds of the period, Marchand — gassed at the end of a long shift — made a half-hearted effort to check Blues winger Jaden Schwartz, then skated off to the Bruins’ bench. While the Bruins were unexpectedly short a man, Alex Pietrangelo took a pass from Schwartz, skated free toward the net, and potted a backhander past a defenseless Tuukka Rask. All this eight seconds before the horn sounded.

That was it. The oxygen was sucked from the Garden. The blood drained from our faces. It was 2-0 instead of 1-0 after one, and hearts sank around New England. It was clear in that moment that the Bruins were not going to win the Stanley Cup on their home ice for the first time in 49 years. After eight weeks of pulsating playoffs, they limped to a 4-1 loss in the biggest game of most of their lives.

And much as I hate to say it, that might have been the beginning of the end of Boston’s 21st century, chest-thumping, duckboat-rollin’, sports high renaissance.

Maybe Shank is right, but the messenger matters, and he's lost the right to be considered a trustworthy one. The guy thinks he's the voice of Boston sports, but the truth is that he's got no credibility anymore.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I don't blame Marchand, I blame the league and their piss poor officiating. The series never should have gone seven games if they had called the blatant penalties as they should have. If Shaughnessy wants to write an article he should write an article about that. The league had already acknowledged its officials had missed game changing calls earlier in the playoffs they certainly weren't going to put a further 'black eye' on the the league and the officials especially in the finals, so they said nothing at all hoping it goes away and people forget. I think if the league doesn't address this problem we are going to see more and more coaches and players showing frustration one way or another with in game officiating ... and someone may get seriously hurt and the league will have an even bigger PR problem on it's hands then just bad officiating.
Yeah, I'm still angry ... I can count at least 3 or 4 suspension worthy noncalls and at least one 5 minute major power play noncall, all of which would have been called any other time of year.

With the second goal and Marchand I watched it when it happened and have watched the replay a few times ... I still think and I can't prove it is, at some point as he was skating back past the bench he was called to the bench. His reaction once the puck went deep wasn't to stay on the ice but to get to the bench.
At this point no matter how we may look at it, it is done and over with. Learn from it, if we can, and move on.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Maybe Shank is right, but the messenger matters, and he's lost the right to be considered a trustworthy one. The guy thinks he's the voice of Boston sports, but the truth is that he's got no credibility anymore.

86 years curse, 40 years without a cup. When I think of who in the media embodies a culture of losing. I think of Dan Shaughnessy

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad