Shattenkirk

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
More news on the rumor front

On the Detroit Red Wings …

The Fourth Period: Though both are currently injured, the Red Wings could get calls on two of their pending unrestricted free agents – winger Thomas Vanek and defenseman Brendan Smith. Smith is carrying a $2.75 million cap hit, but a $3.25 million salary.

Steve Ott is another pending free agent that might get some interest.

GM Ken Holland could talk with the agents of Vanek and Smith, if he hasn’t done so already. It’s unlikely they would sign either to a contract extension before the expansion draft, so it’s possible they could move both by the deadline.

Greg Krupa of the Detroit News: Unless they are able to trade for Kevin Shattenkirk before the deadline, the only help they may get for their blueline is from their well ripened AHLers like Xavier Ouellet and Niklas Jensen. Both have been playing more and the Wings may be now going with “play the kids back there.” Both have looked like they are NHL ready.

Maybe the Red Wings have been showcasing some of their young defenseman for the Blues in the event of a potential Shattenkirk trade.

It’s possible that none of the Wings defensemen will turn out to be a No. 1 or even a strong No. 2 during their careers. The same could be said for Shattenkrik, but he’s the best defenseman that appears to be available.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-list-1.203546

That's TSN's top 20 players possibly on the move prior to the deadline. To underscore the scarcity of certain positions, here's the distribution:

12 wingers
5 goalies (higher than usual, possibly due to Vegas)
2 centers
1 defenseman (Shattenkirk)

Unless they get desperate to make the playoffs, St. Louis can keep asking for a king's ransom, because, even without an extension, good defensemen are such a rare commodity, that hardly ever get near the open market.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Nice to see Vanek up there as the top winger. Have a feeling if Shattenkirk moves its going to be an over payment.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nice to see Vanek up there as the top winger. Have a feeling if Shattenkirk moves its going to be an over payment.

If he is moved it will likely be as a free agent and the return will be a first plus good prospect and be too a team that knows they can sign him

Boston is at the top of that list

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

On paper there may be a few guys above Vanek but he will be the top rental forward available should Holland decide to move him.

I'd be shocked if guys like Duchene, Eberle and Landeskog are moved at the TDL.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yeah me too, those guys are only on the list because they haven't signed their extensions yet.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
On paper there may be a few guys above Vanek but he will be the top rental forward available should Holland decide to move him.

I'd be shocked if guys like Duchene, Eberle and Landeskog are moved at the TDL.
Agreed. It would be fantastic if they could even get a bit of a bidding war for Vanek, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad